Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Google does have satelites, but they are primarily for communication, ie phones

The government and NASA are the photographers, google compiles data from local, state, and federal sources

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
The clearest photography comes from the larger appraisal districts, taxing the improvements to your property is an income source for taxing entities, therefore, they can realize a return on the investment in the metropolitan areas.

A new pool on your estate behind the 6 ft wall can no longer be hidden from the tax man.

Google is a smart business, why do something that is already being done thru tax dollars.

Now,....does't that make sense.

This is not just my opinion, but my profession, I have been mapping for IBWC and NPS for twenty years.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Everything, including Google itself, says that the images are from satellites. The prevalence of such satellites in our skies is what made Google Earth possible.

From the "about" page, it says of Google Earth: "The idea is simple. It's a globe that sits inside your PC. You point and zoom to anyplace on the planet that you want to explore. Satellite images and local facts zoom into view."

Do you have a source for airplane based pictures for Google Earth? I haven't researched it until now and I'd be curious to see more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
If you read the link you provided, it says that the positions are updated via satellite, that is correct, GPS locations are updated continuously, the imagery is not.
"This collection by Analytic Graphics Inc. shows real-time (updated every 30 seconds) positions of 13,000 satellites around the Earth."

From this, I get the idea that the positions of the *satellites* are updated every 30 seconds. This link is just a way of tracking the 13,000 satellites, some of which contribute images to Google Earth.

I used to watch for falling stars when I was out camping. Now I watch for satellites. It never takes long before one or two cruise across the sky. Occasionally I still see a falling star, too.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
"The Google Librarian Central site has up a piece by Mark Aubin, a Software Engineer who works on Google Earth. Aubin explains some of the process behind capturing satellite imagery for use with the product. 'Most people are surprised to learn that we have more than one source for our imagery. We collect it via airplane and satellite, but also just about any way you can imagine getting a camera above the Earth's surface: hot air balloons, model airplanes - even kites. The traditional aerial survey involves mounting a special gyroscopic, stabilized camera in the belly of an airplane and flying it at an elevation of between 15,000 feet and 30,000 feet, depending on the resolution of imagery you're interested in. As the plane takes a predefined route over the desired area, it forms a series of parallel lines with about 40 percent overlap between lines and 60 percent overlap in the direction of flight. This overlap of images is what provides us with enough detail to remove distortions caused by the varying shape of the Earth's surface.'

Cool. I learn something new every day. Thanks, D, for the prompt for further research.

The link above no longer works, but the piece is an intro for further exploration. Off to ring in the new year.

Wishing a Happy New Year to all.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Google Maps use to have separate choices for satellite and aerial images, the satellite images would only zoom in so far then you had to switch to aerial. Much nicer that it does it automatically now, just misleading since they don't mention it anymore.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I worked for Beech Aircraft (AKA Raytheon Aircraft and Hawker Beechcraft), a general aviation manufacturer for 35 years in the area of aviation electronics (avionics). Most of my time was in avionics engineering, but I also worked in technical training for a number of years. During my time at Beech, I worked on special mission airplanes quite a bit and one of the missions was Aerial Survey. Several times, I worked on projects with the Leica RC 30 cameras (usually two installed on the airplane). These were film cameras that took 230 mm images, as I recall. Leica still makes these film cameras and digital backs for the cameras. Here's some information on these imaging systems if you're interested Airborne Imaging - Leica Geosystems - Leica Geosystems. They even make imagers for remotely piloted vehicles (RPV's) as you can see.

Some of these "special mission" systems are used for things like civil activities map-making while at other times they're used to keep track of neighbors (listening, looking, etc.) Hawker Beechcraft | Special Missions: Overview.

Steve
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Google Maps use to have separate choices for satellite and aerial images, the satellite images would only zoom in so far then you had to switch to aerial. Much nicer that it does it automatically now, just misleading since they don't mention it anymore.
Now I feel silly for assuming that "satellite images" meant, um, satellite images. Note to self: Research first, post later...research first, post later...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
webspinner,
Don't worry about your post. This has made for interesting conversation!

Steve
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
webspinner,

Steve
I agree.

By the way on some (not all) of the aerial images you can see quite a bit of the sides of the buildings, the satellites are much more straight down.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
webspinner,

Steve
Don't worry be happy,......... not very often that the conversation comes around to my boring type of work.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
A picture of our Airstream from orbit!!??

Greetings Wazbro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I agree.

By the way on some (not all) of the aerial images you can see quite a bit of the sides of the buildings, the satellites are much more straight down.
I didn't post the photo, but Google Map/Google Earth had a photo that looked directly into my open garage . . . not a photo to remember . . .

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I recall some quite funny GOOGLE Street View images that went around the Net a few years back.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
My carport for the AS and my campfire pit are visible in my yard AND the tire tracks leading to the carport, amazing. Then I looked on the new ipad map image and my AS is in the driveway at my house, gotta keep the windows closed.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote