Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
We Are Back!!!

Well now, where to begin? After 23 days and nearly 5000 miles, we are home from our first trip in our new Classic and what a trip it was! I don't know, but we may have qualified for the longest "shakedown" trip ever? First, just let me say that our Ford and Airstream both performed flawlessly! This is our first AS and we both really like it a lot. All the problems were minor. We popped two interior rivets and I had to work on one cabinet light and one interior blind. That was it! Not bad for a 5000 mile first trip. I am trying to re-size some photos so that I can post them in my gallery. All that I can say is, "Live Riveted!"
Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
That is wonderful Duke!!! So glad you had such a good time and enjoyed your Airstream so much!

Laura & Tom
Old 09-28-2015, 05:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Congratulations on a good SAFE trip. We too just finished a maiden voyage for this our third AS. 2015 30' FC and like you, our trailer only had minor problems and the Ford F350 was flawless.

Leaving again this week for a short ten day trip as a finish for the season until January when we are off to Florida.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Pictures!!

Well, I finally posted some pictures of our trip out West. Not all of the pictures are of our Classic, so if you only want to look at Airstreams, just look away. There's one old AS that was at Lake Powell AZ, that I shot. After being in the "furnace" for three weeks, it is nice to be back home where it is cool and rainy... which we need. We will be taking a short four day trip to TN for Columbus Day. Just have to get the "silver bullet" and my truck cleaned up. I hope that everyone enjoys the pictures and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'll answer them if I can, know what I mean?
Old 09-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Duke, where did you post your photos?

Laura & Tom
Old 09-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
Duke, where did you post your photos?

Laura & Tom
Hey Gal,
I posted them in my gallery. I didn't know where else to do it? Thanks for asking. Duke.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
We just completed a 2300 mile trip in our new AS, like you said flawlessly. I see a lot of negativity here, glad to report like you a positive experience.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congrats!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
So where is the gallery Duke? I would love to see your pictures and see what - if anything you and your wife did to make it your own!

Laura & Tom
Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Images.

Quote:
So where is the gallery Duke? I would love to see your pictures and see what - if anything you and your wife did to make it your own!

Laura & Tom
Hey Gal;

Just click on images in one of my posts. I think that I have 60 something. None of the inside, which I guess is what you girls are intereted in? Sorry. Mostly the great outdoors and God's beautiful creations!

Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Look at his forum name TheDuke. Select it like you would a hyper link, then click "View Gallery Uploads"
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Duke -
Thanks for posting the pics! We are so jealous; our Classic is due out of production late Nov. We have the F250 version of your truck; same color and appears to be the same camper top.
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post
Duke -
Thanks for posting the pics! We are so jealous; our Classic is due out of production late Nov. We have the F250 version of your truck; same color and appears to be the same camper top.
The next couple of months will hopefully pass quickly for you. I really like my truck, thats a Leer top with all the options. I also added a lot of extras to my truck. Now I am spending what's left of my money on my new Classic. You will definetly have a trailer thats worth waiting on!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Find Them?

Quote:

Laura & Tom

Hey Gal;

Did you find them thar pictures?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Yes!! I just did - thank you Heavy Assault! Duke the pictures are wonderful and you and your wife were looking like you were having a great time! We went to Lake Powell last year and just loved it there! So glad your first trip was so wonderful! Happy travels!

Laura & Tom
Old 10-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Duke -
We have the Leer top with bed blanket, rod holders, light, triple 12v outlet and two clothes hanging pull down brackets and Yakima rack.
What have you added to your truck? We got the KR. Added 3M protection in several places, tinted the windshield and side windows (all legal) and replaced the ridiculous 26 gal tank with a Titan 50 gal tank.
Any other ideas?
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
Duke, looks like you had a very successful and exciting shakedown trip. We're looking forward to the arrival of our classic in Dec. We also installed a leer cap on our truck bed. That will be my main storage area.
Duke do you have the electric awning on your classic, and if so how did it perform for you?
Keep us informed of all the accessories that you add to your classic and truck.
Thanks for the post.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Yes We Did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
Duke, looks like you had a very successful and exciting shakedown trip. We're looking forward to the arrival of our classic in Dec. We also installed a leer cap on our truck bed. That will be my main storage area.
Duke do you have the electric awning on your classic, and if so how did it perform for you?
Keep us informed of all the accessories that you add to your classic and truck.
Thanks for the post.
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The best option that I have on my Leer top is the remote lock. It is wired into my trucks locking system so that all you have to do is hit the truck remote to lock or unlock everything. So sweet! I also have the tilt in front window so you can clean all the glass. I had the complete X-pel paint protection package installed on my truck. Complete front end, including head and foglights, fender flares, about two feet back on hood, rocker panels, door sills, door handle cups and edges. I also had the chrome door handles and tailgate handle off of a platinum installed with chrome tow hooks and mirror caps. "Love that bling!" Replaced the M+S white letter tires with "Michelin LTX-MS2 blackwall tires and nitrogen. I never lock my front hubs in manual, so I replaced the front caps with solid ones like the rear. "Don't like the holes!" I installed a rear sway bar, "Sulastic" rubber spring shackels on rear springs, helped the ride. I also installed a "Banks" cold air intake and monster exhaust, Installed Titan 50 gallon fuel tank and shield. Now to the Classic, just getting started on it. I had the three rear windows tinted with 3M, 25% tint to match the others. Nitrogen in tires, second sewer hose storage, I always like to carry two 10 footers. Stainless A-frame protectors, Robo foot on jack, Progressive Ind. hard wired surge and voltage protection with remote display, winterization valve on water pump, Insulated double dome on FanTastic fan, Changed out the 40lb LP bottles to 30 pounders and a shorter cover. "Didn't like the looks of the tall ones being above the bottom of front window!" I am getting ready to place a order on Monday for two new Maxim skylights. I cant believe the junk that AS uses? Talk about heat soak! That will probably finish me up for this year. Won't be long until it will be stored in a climate controlled building for about six months. And yes we do have the electric awning. It performed flawlessly during our 23 day trip. I like the new dimmable led light strip that they added for 2016. I got both options, the power awning and the solar package. Haven't regretted either so far. Thanks for the inquiries.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I change so many things between trips that every voyage is like a maiden voyage...

Just Sayin!

Congrats on a safe, happy, and successful trip!

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote