Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
TPS repeater location due to loss of signal?

I've been loosing the TPS signal intermittently and today I spoke with the company who indicates that I'll need a repeater to enhance the signal to the TV monitor. That being the case, I was wondering if other people have had that problem and if so where did you locate the repeater (on a 30' Classic)?

Thanks,

>>ron<<
Old 03-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I had to install the repeater for my Doran unit as I kept losing the right rear signal on my 30' classic. I installed it on the exterior side of the electrical center, under the sofa. Not the best for the signal to pass through the front wall, but apparently it is a strong enough signal there. No further issues.

I wired it to be powered by the running light circuit, as I always have my running lights on while underway in order to also power my rear camera.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I wired my directly to one of the batteries so the repeater lives in the battery compartment and is constantly on, but I am almost never on batteries only so not too worried about the electrical drain.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Installed mine under rear bumper of TV. Tied it To the running light power. When I tow, I always turn on the headlights so that turns in the repeater. Most of the time it is not powered.

If I had to do again I might put inside the closet above the wheels and tie in to power from the closet lights. Of course that will require a fuse and switch...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ron,

You didn't mention what brand you have or the antenna situation.

I have a 30' too and my Dill TPMS has a remote antenna (looks like minature old style CB antenna) with a cable long enough for me to mount the magnetic base right at the rear bumper.

No repeater required.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Gary,

I have a TST TPMS. This is the same one that is sold at different venues under different names to include the one sold at Camping World.

I like Channing's idea of installation in the closet with a switch to turn on and off. My question is, if there is a difference with the repeater that far away from the TV.

>>ron<<
Old 03-31-2015, 05:48 AM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ron,
I have the 18 wheel TST model with 6 sensor/transmitters.

The best explanation is that the repeater can transmit farther than the sensors. So, my thought is to have the repeater "over the sensors" to have best chance of reception, then to have a straighter line of sight to the receiver on the TV dash. Mounting in the closet sorta solves both situations for close proximity and line of sight with minimal aluminum to interfere. Inside the closet would give a good chance.

If you load a lot of metal clothes hangers in the closet, locate the repeater below them, closer to the deck.

TST explained the orientation was best when antenna were horizontal and face of repeater "aimed" toward receiver. So, down low , about knee to waist high standing in hallway, mounted on rear wall of closet sounds like a good placement.

I like the idea of running off of the AS 12vdc system. I do not recall the power consumption, but is not enough to "drain" your AS batteries should you leave on accidentally for a week. So, stopping for breaks while traveling would not require shutting off the repeater.

Hope this doesn't confuse more...

Peace...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote