Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Three Week Trip!

Well, its finally here. We are leaving this Friday for a three week long trip. Everything is about two months behind this year, due to my Fathers passing on the first day of March and then me having "major" spinal surgery April 5th, with a double cervical fusion. I have been slowly recuperating for the past ten weeks. Our Classic is polished and packed, as is my truck. Friday we head Southeast to the Outer Banks for a week, then South down the coast to Charleston to visit my oldest Son for about four days, then West to Stone Mountain for about five days, then North to Sevierville for the Fourth and about five days, then finally home in July. Just got back from JC a couple of weeks ago and I think everything is good to go. With getting such a late start this season, I hope that we can camp until Thanksgiving. If you happen to see a new Classic behind a new Ford King Ranch, with "Duke 316" tags traveling about 70 or 80 MPH give me a shout on the CB. They call me "the silver bullet!" I hope that everyone gets out and enjoys this beautiful country in their beautiful Airstreams this year! Happy Trails.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Sounds like a great trip, stone Mtn on my list. Travel on sourh side of 80 for better gas mileage. We will be out all but one weekend between now and end September.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Sorry to hear about your father's passing. I'm sure he'll enjoy seeing you travelling in your new Classic! It must be a great relief to put your surgery and recovery period behind you, and get your JC "fixes" done, so you can finally get on the road. Have a wonderful and safe trip.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, enjoy your trip. I hope you have 80 MPH tires on your trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
The more life gets in the way, it seems our Airstream has a way of lightening the load. Enjoy, you deserve it.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have a great trip!

Maggie
Old 06-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #7
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I hope you have a great trip. Sounds like it's well planned. I do look forward to a three week vacation some day. I think it was 1975, when I last had a three week vacation. Junior year in college. Ha

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
You deserve a wonderful vacation. However, that said I will be the first to pour cold water on your plans. Sevierville on the 4th of July? This is the height of vacation in the US. It has been my experience that traffic can be so horrible that time of summer that it will be difficult to move around. I would like to hear other opinions on this. Vol football weekends and holidays I think it is best to avoid the area. Just my experience.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
You deserve a wonderful vacation. However, that said I will be the first to pour cold water on your plans. Sevierville on the 4th of July? This is the height of vacation in the US. It has been my experience that traffic can be so horrible that time of summer that it will be difficult to move around. I would like to hear other opinions on this. Vol football weekends and holidays I think it is best to avoid the area. Just my experience.
You are soo right! We have reservations at Two Rivers, the closest campground off I 40. We are not even going into town on the Fourth. I have seen it all and done most of it many times. Just going there to rest up before coming home. We get to watch the fireworks from our campsite over the river.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, enjoy your trip. I hope you have 80 MPH tires on your trailer.
You betcha! I have 106 MPH Michelins filled with Nitrogen on my truck and trailer. I traveled over 5000 miles last September all over the Southwest in triple digit temperatures every day at 70 to 80 MPH! Never even gave my tires a thought. I did see and even helped some that should have gave their tires some thought before they left home! Proper preparation makes life much more enjoyable.