Old 10-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

2011 31' Classic
Mcminnville , Oregon
Question sliding glass doors on 2011 classic

The closet doors on my 2011 classic jump the track every time I travel. Have taped them up to prevent this problem, but still happens. Would like to change to wooden doors that open out and do not slide. Has anyone else had this problem?

wickybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
What we do is to use the shock tubes? that you use in the refer to keep stuff from falling out, put them with a little tension against the doors holding them shut..

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Middle River , Maryland
Is the closet over the axles. Maybe your tire pressure is too high or the weight distribution bars are too stiff. We tow with a three quarter ton truck and lowered bar stiffness from 1000 lbs to 600 lbs , rides great
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Thumbs up Sliding glass/mirrored doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickybullet View Post
The closet doors on my 2011 classic jump the track every time I travel. Have taped them up to prevent this problem, but still happens. Would like to change to wooden doors that open out and do not slide. Has anyone else had this problem?
I had the same problem with these doors jumping off the track and even breaking the latches. I made two Hickory door frames about 1-1/2" wide, had the mirrors cut down to fit into the cutout channel on the back side and used silicone to fasten the mirrors in place. I purchased and installed the same kind of track/rollers Airstream uses on the bedroom doors. Finally, I attached straps like those used by Airstream on the bedroom doors to keep them closed when travelling. Not cheap, but quality and it works.
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickybullet View Post
Yes I have, rollers comming un screwed, finding the doors on the floor....I put back together with locktite....they still jump the track....these doors are junk...I wouldn’t have them in my house...but they are in my Airstream...made by the same company as the shower door...that is another story...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Fixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
I had the same problem with these doors jumping off the track and even breaking the latches. I made two Hickory door frames about 1-1/2" wide, had the mirrors cut down to fit into the cutout channel on the back side and used silicone to fasten the mirrors in place. I purchased and installed the same kind of track/rollers Airstream uses on the bedroom doors. Finally, I attached straps like those used by Airstream on the bedroom doors to keep them closed when travelling. Not cheap, but quality and it works.
I have done lots of fixes and upgrades to our trailer. I am retired and have had lots of experience in fixing and even some designing of wood products. I am more than happy to help anyone with a problem. I don't always have the answer, but when two talk, things get done. My shower door, closet door, generator electrical switch, ottoman addition, shelf unit in living area and more. I am proud to say that our trailer is much better than Airstream made it.
If you need to just chat and or seek answers, please call or email me on the side and we will talk through your problems. I am also computer savvy and have documented most of everything I have done. I am also willing to share this with others. Remember, I said I am retired, no fees or taxes when I help.

Uncle Bill
Willard (Bill) Amtower
17864 SE 87th Melrose Ct.
The Villages, FL 32162

352-459-9993

unkbill123@gmail.com
Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Austin , Texas
I will be replacing ours (2012) with doors on hinges, much like Airstream did a year or two after ours. They found it to be an issue and changed. However, it is $1400 for the parts from Airstream. I will be getting them from here:

http://www.estatemillwork.com/louvered-cabinets.html
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
You are going to loose your big mirrors in this step.

Surely, you can get someone to make wood frames and put the mirrors into them. Attach multi-roller assemblies as I described before. This keeps the mirrors and makes the doors heavy enough to prevent them from jumping the tracks.

Uncle Bill
Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We totally understand this thread. When shopping for our current Silver Otter we encountered a few with the sliding doors. That was a deal breaker for me, knowing what I know about them. The sad news is that it seems AS is building those same doors into the newest 33' Classic! Why would they make the same mistake AGAIN? I walked into a model unit, lifted the door out of the track with no effort at all. Hard to know what design was thinking.

2013 GMC Denali 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax - Sierra Blanca
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
with Corey, the Norwegian Forest Cat
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote

« Lug Nut Damage | Top | - »