Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Shower drain acting as a vent for kitchen sink

My 31' 2013 classic when boondocking, after washing the dishes, you pull the drain the water drains from the sink quickly , venting into the shower, this happens even when the gray tank is empty. The vents are clean, I did check the one way air vents under the kitchen sink and under bathroom sink. If you plug the shower drain with a plug, the air will vent out of the bathroom sink. My 04 classic didn't act this way, I am thinking something might have a design problem ? Any ideas?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Might need to run an eel down the drain line to clear any instructions in the drain pipe. Also remove the all the sink drain traps and clean them.

Could be a wasp nest at the top of the toilet vent pipe on the roof.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The drain lines are clean, the sink drains into the holding tank via a T into the vent and the shower and bath sink go into the tank elsewhere, there are no blockages. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
My 75 AS has multiple vents. One for the kitchen sink, one for the shower and bath sink, and one for the toilet.

My guess is your kitchen sink vent is blocked.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hmmm, if the kitchen sink drains into the vent and you Have a full column of water entering the section of the vent pipe between a y in the vent stack and the tank, there is nowhere for the tank to vent past the water column during sink draining. That pressure has to go somewhere like the shower. Sounds like a design flaw to me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If your sink is using the shower to vent, then it sounds like your vent pipe is obstructed, but it sounds like you have already ensured that it is clear.

I have seen this issue described on the Forums before, and in some cases it is a design issue where the venting "capacity" isn't equal to the amount of water that is rushing down the drain. As I recall the situation, the vent pipe comes off of the pipe that is draining the sink into the tank. If the pipe is full of water, then the air that needs to be displaced from the tank cannot go up the proper vent, and instead heads for the shower trap.

To confrim that it is design problem, you might try pouring water down the sink slowly and seeing if it vents from the shower still.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
It sounds like the vent stack in restricted between the T and outside. Can you look down the vent from the outside?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm pretty sure I have a dedicated stack for black and gray combined. The gray has 2 openings in addition to the vent. One for the shower and kitchen combined. And one for the bath sink. I have a 30 classic with split bath

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Tomorrow I will pour a bucket of water slowly down the kitchen sink drain and see what it does, never noticed this before, but it doesn't seem to do it when the drain is open.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Shower drain acting as a vent for kitchen sink

My gray tank is curb side rear of trailer. My kitchen sink vent is above the kitchen curb side center. My rear bath shower (curb side) and sink (center) is vented above the shower. The black tank is under the toilet street side rear and vented above the toilet.

I'd pour the water down the vents.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Tomorrow I will pour a bucket of water slowly down the kitchen sink drain and see what it does, never noticed this before, but it doesn't seem to do it when the drain is open.
When the sink faucet is just running or a bucket is poured slowly, you don't have a full column in the pipe and air can escape past the draining water.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I can tell you exactly what is going on. From your description in post 3, the drain from the sink T's into the vent stack, vent goes straight up, drain enters the t from the side. What is happening, is that when water is flowing quickly down that pipe and into the tank it is hitting the T and flowing down, this blocks the air from the tank from being able to flow back up the same pipe that is also the vent. This causes slight pressure to build up in the tank which works its way out by path of least resistance which in your case is the shower drain.
Seen this before in RV;s and houses. My bath sink is plumbed the same way in my 79 safari.
Several ways to fix this, the easiest being drain the sink slowly. This keeps the water from rushing and filling the pipe at the vent T and allowing air to escape.
The others would require some re-plumbing. Can you see the top of the tank? Are there any unused connection ports that you could route the drain or vent to? You could also try to put hepvo traps in the line for the shower drain, replacing the p-trap, but that would then likely try to push air back up another route, so you'd have to put them on all the other gray water drains as well. Does the T where the drain and vent merge have a 90 degree T or does it have some sweep/arch from the side drain inlet?
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
My 2008 27FB and others with the large round sink find that with the shower drain unplugged the dishwater actually comes up in the shower a bit if you drain the sink fast. It's a known flaw and if the sink water cuts off the vent on it's way to the gray tank just over the shower it explains why. I'm over it and rinse the shower if it happens. As we boondock some we usually use a collapsable washtub and dish rack for washing dishes and dump the dishwater in the toilet and leave the gray water tank to hold shower and hand washing water as gray always fills before black unless there's something terribly wrong. - Brad

- Brad Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I filled the kitchen sink and let it drain out SLOWLY ,it did not vent into the shower. The kitchen sink that drains into the vent pipe is connected with a straight T. I am going to call the factory and tell them about this situation....
Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

DW uses those hair ball collectors with the itty-bitty holes in all the drains.....I guess that's slow enough to not back up.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Cincinnnati , Ohio
We had the same issue in our 2009 Classic. Called Airstream and they told me it was because of the water rushing so quickly as described by HiJoeSilver. I now place my hand over the drain to ensure it will drain more slowly, allowing smaller amounts of water to drain at a time. A pain, but it works.
KathleenBenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #17
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
It sounds like your little problem has been nailed down so this information is just being passed along for whatever it might be worth. I've had good success with flushing my drain lines out with a little gadget I picked up at the Home Depot. It is a little bulb type thing that screws onto your water hose. I got a little inline ball valve so I could control the amount of water flow from inside the AS without running outside to a spigot. So you stick this thing in the drain hole and turn on the water. The bulb fills up and swells, completely closing off the drain. All water is forced down the drain at a high pressure which blows any clogs away. Works great in the shower drain too. Get the one inch size. It will swell to about two inches which is big enough for all AS drains.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
There are no clogged pipes, all vents are clean, to keep the shower drain from being a vent is to drain the kitchen sink slowly, I guess I can live with this..