Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Shower door-continuously lists downward

We have a 30' 2014 Classic and our shower door has NEVER been operational for more than 2 weeks. It 'lists' downward and the only way we can open/close the door is to lift it (handle side). It was repaired at least 4 times. This summer, we were so frustrated, we visited the Airstream factory. They kindly replaced the entire door. Lo and behold, on our return trip to Tucson, the door listed downward again. Needless to say, we are furious! Anyone else experienced this and have a solution? Your advice is much appreciated!
Kokomogoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
My 12 classic has done the same. I cut a piece of thick plastic and sealed it under hinge side. That solved the problem and the door now opens and closes properly. Good luck.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
There are a number of threads about this problem from several years ago. We had the same problem until the door frame finally came apart and we had to replace the entire door (not an Airstream door). Needless to say, we were out of warranty by several months.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
After replacing our door, I use silicone heater hose 5/8 's 2" long under the door on either end while traveling...10,000 miles and all is well..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I called AS to ask what thickness plexiglass they use. I was told they use 1/2 x 1/2 with a 3/4 screw to hold in place. I had tried a similar fix which worked but didn't stay siliconed in place (I didn't use a screw.) The additional fix I didn't figure out was they put the piece on BOTH ends of the shower door. Bouncing down the road apparently tugs on the opening side of the door. I'm going to try that fix tomorrow.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I called AS to ask what thickness plexiglass they use. I was told they use 1/2 x 1/2 with a 3/4 screw to hold in place. I had tried a similar fix which worked but didn't stay siliconed in place (I didn't use a screw.) The additional fix I didn't figure out was they put the piece on BOTH ends of the shower door. Bouncing down the road apparently tugs on the opening side of the door. I'm going to try that fix tomorrow.
The plastic tube in the hinge or the plastic pin is probably broke, you can get new hinge parts,,,I rebuil t mine twice, intstalled a new door, now I use rubber hose on either end on the bottom , so far this has worked as it supports the door...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We had the same problem with our shower door. Airstream repaired it a couple of times under warranty. This is a well known problem with this type of door. It's just a poor design for use in an RV that travels down a road.

We finally solved the problem by removing the door entirely and installing a good old fashioned shower curtain! It works very well and keeps all the water in the shower stall. Plus we don't have to deal with the door when we are using the area for showering and changing. If we ever get a new Airstream again, one of the first mods will be to remove the shower door.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Shower Door Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokomogoggy View Post
We have a 30' 2014 Classic and our shower door has NEVER been operational for more than 2 weeks. It 'lists' downward and the only way we can open/close the door is to lift it (handle side). It was repaired at least 4 times. This summer, we were so frustrated, we visited the Airstream factory. They kindly replaced the entire door. Lo and behold, on our return trip to Tucson, the door listed downward again. Needless to say, we are furious! Anyone else experienced this and have a solution? Your advice is much appreciated!
I had the same problem with my 2012 Classic Limited 31'. After about 4 repairs and before moving the trailer again I installed a small aluminum block under the hinge side of the door. The block must be the correct height to just make contact with the bottom of the door and extend out far enough to be under the bottom cross piece. I fastened the block to the bottom crossrail with silicone, No more problems.
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
I am on my second shower door as well. Have thought about drilling a hole thru door frame into shower frame and inserting a pin while traveling, but went to Home Depot and found toilet shims and insert one at top of door-in the gap between edge of door and frame with wedge forced as far down as possible. So far so good.
28totow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
I had the same problem with the original shower door. In fact, it fell off at least once. The door was replaced several years ago at the Airstream Service Center and that solved the annoying problem in my case.

Since Airstream Service Center installed a replacement door, I suggest calling Brad Herring, the service manager at Airstream, for help. He is customer friendly and might offer a solution.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I never liked our swinging shower door as it was hard to get into the shower. When our top screw let loose I replaced it with a SHUB. We had previously put one in our '92. It is wonderful.

https://www.newlinebathroom.com/shub...white-c-4.html
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote