Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #57
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I don't have the Airstream solar package since I did my own install, but I'd use a multimeter to see if power is going into the controller from the panels as a first step. If "yes", and all your fuses are good, I'd suspect the solar controller. I have 6 100W panels that go to a combiner box on the roof -- there are no fuses up there. I have a master cut off switch on the positive cable as it goes into the controller. Wish I could be more helpful. Maybe someone with the Airstream system can wade into this.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I guess I would take it to a (good) dealer service, it's under warranty. Maybe the batteries have been damaged as well. Are the batteries charging on external power or the tow vehicle? Our factory solar and AGM batteries have worked fine since new, looks like a simple reliable system.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I don't have the Airstream solar package since I did my own install, but I'd use a multimeter to see if power is going into the controller from the panels as a first step. If "yes", and all your fuses are good, I'd suspect the solar controller. I have 6 100W panels that go to a combiner box on the roof -- there are no fuses up there. I have a master cut off switch on the positive cable as it goes into the controller. Wish I could be more helpful. Maybe someone with the Airstream system can wade into this.
Ya BAB, it looks like the solar controller. I have good voltage from the panels all the way down to the solar controller by the battery relay under the sofa. Phew!

This is the POS solar controller AS installs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-AMP-PHOTO.../182079200585?

I just ordered one. I may send the old one back via Colonial parts replacement and get a new one back as a spare. These are just temporary to keep the batteries topped up until I can put a real system and controller in like you did.

The total hardware for the factory solar probably cost AS $300 or less. And they charge what? Good thing it was basically a no-charge "toss in" on my purchase.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Zybane, Malinois?? and love the trailer.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterNowlinLater View Post
Zybane, Malinois?? and love the trailer.
Thanks! He's a short haired German Shepherd.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Can you post a picture of the controller location under the couch? I have something pinging under the couch when I am charging the batteries on solar (boondocking). Hay Babs. How is your power awning working after the redo. I am going into mine for the 4th time. Per law I think I have a lemon. After me going into this problem so many times I have found what I feel and by Ohms law a problem. Can only speak to Nate at Zipdee since Jimmy says he knows nothing about the power awnings. Go figure. Zipdee is using 20 gauge pins to push critical power to the motors. They state that low voltage kills the roller motor. Per Ohms law this is to light of a guage wire to perform this function. Since Airstream is using this awning as standard I feel that after the warranty goes out a lot of people are going to be stuck with bad awnings. In my close to 40 years of doing electrical work on autos I have seen this problem a lot. Will see what Zipdee says on my next day off since I work when they are open and can't call earlier. I love my trailer BUT wish I NEVER got the power awning
Old 06-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Can you post a picture of the controller location under the couch? I have something pinging under the couch when I am charging the batteries on solar (boondocking). Hay Babs. How is your power awning working after the redo. I am going into mine for the 4th time. Per law I think I have a lemon. After me going into this problem so many times I have found what I feel and by Ohms law a problem. Can only speak to Nate at Zipdee since Jimmy says he knows nothing about the power awnings. Go figure. Zipdee is using 20 gauge pins to push critical power to the motors. They state that low voltage kills the roller motor. Per Ohms law this is to light of a guage wire to perform this function. Since Airstream is using this awning as standard I feel that after the warranty goes out a lot of people are going to be stuck with bad awnings. In my close to 40 years of doing electrical work on autos I have seen this problem a lot. Will see what Zipdee says on my next day off since I work when they are open and can't call earlier. I love my trailer BUT wish I NEVER got the power awning
Beetle, is the too thin gauge wire something that can proactively be retrofitted?

Here's the pic of the solar controller (green light):

Old 06-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA

Please tell me you don't let that cat roam around the campground to climb on other people's cars and trailers...
Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Please tell me you don't let that cat roam around the campground to climb on other people's cars and trailers...
No, only the dog is allowed to do that.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Zybane no on the retro. From what I've seen in the automotive industry it will usually work until the warranty is out. Most of the high end cars that care use bigger pins or tabs on the 10 volt and up part and the small pins on the rest. That works great. From having my awning mostly inoperative from 3 months into owning my trailer (full time in it for little over a year now) I have looked at the system a lot. I will be contacting Zipdee again to see about my fixing it again and let you know. Did you have to remove the whole couch to access the solar controller? I think that is what is making the pinging noise from under my 2015 classic. Might just buy a new one and replace it if so.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Youtube
The point of you posting in this thread is what exactly? To talk about cats or post ad's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Zybane no on the retro. From what I've seen in the automotive industry it will usually work until the warranty is out. Most of the high end cars that care use bigger pins or tabs on the 10 volt and up part and the small pins on the rest. That works great. From having my awning mostly inoperative from 3 months into owning my trailer (full time in it for little over a year now) I have looked at the system a lot. I will be contacting Zipdee again to see about my fixing it again and let you know. Did you have to remove the whole couch to access the solar controller? I think that is what is making the pinging noise from under my 2015 classic. Might just buy a new one and replace it if so.
Bettle, that is sad that the power awning has turned out so poorly for you. The first time I used my power awning it rained heavily. I saw all of the water running down the extension arms and hoped the seals on the arms kept the water out. On yours, is it the roller motors that are the problem, extension arms, both?

All of under sofa the electronics can be be accessed by removing the center drawer.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Also looking into upgrading charge controllers, seems that easy retrofits for the Parallax 5355 may be hard to find to fit the packaging.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Randy at Bestconverter.com got back to me with this:

http://www.bestconverter.com/Paralla...e_ep_25-1.html

Look's a pretty good solution that I will order up. I'll have to check the length and gauge wire from mid-cabin charger to the battery terminal under the sofa to make sure I don't push too many amps through that cable while charging. I assume it's a 6 gauge wire, meaning it's too thin and long for 70 amp charging.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Also checking my solar controller and the previous pictures I took, it seems AS did not clip the blue jumper as instructed for sealed batteries as stated in the instructions:

http://atkinsonelectronics.com/manuf...dfs/PVCM25.pdf

I wonder if the factory personnel get any training on these items.

Bettle: is the sound you are hearing under the sofa "clicking"? According to the manual above, the clicking sound is normal from the solar controller.