Old 07-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
When I saw the original post, which expressed concern regarding solar hub gauge waiting, I contacted my dealer. (I've a 2017 International Serenity 27FB on order, with 160W solar on the roof and 160W of portable via the front solar connector for use in shade).

An Airstream electrical engineer responded back straight away. It's been a long time since I was a practicing electrical engineer, but I'm comfortable with his response. I've pasted a copy of his response below:
It is interesting that, despite his response, if you look at the table in the reference it clearly states that #10 wire in a power transmission application is rated for 15 amps.

His response is based on what is safe for the wire. Ampacity is a term from the National Electrical Code and is predominantly about AC power distribution in homes, businesses and industrial applications. It is essentially the electrical building code.

Lew has it right, as usual. Voltage drop in wires is all about resistance and current. The voltage drop in a wire at a particular wire size and current will be the same in a 12V circuit as a 120V circuit, but proportionally it is 10x larger in the 12V circuit. Depending on the charge controller, the impact can be even greater.

Series connection can help, but makes the shading problem worse. If I install solar, I will be replacing the existing wiring and running panels in parallel.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Lexington , Kentucky
It looks like to me the Airstream engineer above is using 120v values for his conclusion. Does anyone agree that he is correct?

wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Lexington , Kentucky
One more thought. Does anyone know if Airsteam will install #6 or #4 wire in place of the #10 to the batteries during construction of a new trailer if paid to do so?
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Airstream doesn't do anything from their build at the factory. I have the factory installed solar and have found it works good for me. I also have 150 watts of portable panels. We always look for shade so having the panels on the roof is somewhat not good. I am looking into a small wind generator and maybe another set of portable panels but only have 2 AGM 12 volt batteries in the trailer so can only use so much at night anyway Boondocking is our way on the road and we know that so if you learn how to conserve and think you don't need a lot of solar to survive
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Thanks for the info, I read your post and was confused because before starting the post I called both Airstream and Zamp. I talked to Jeff at Zamp in technical services and he was very helpful and provided a wealth of information. He stated as far as he knows no one has contacted them from Airstream for advice on the solar package that airstream has put together. Jeff explained to me that 10 Gage wire is NOT what they recommend for solar installs if you have the ability to add more solar panels to the system. No one knows what the Airstream Engineer is talking about 10 Gage wire being able to handle the amps that the 3 port can be connected to. If you buy 3 160 watt solar panel you'll have 480 watts thats about 27 amps, 10 gage is only rated for about 30 amps you would have a very high resistance with this set up. I'm sure many who view this know alot more than I do about solar install but I'm learning quickly with all your advice and help but one thing I do know Airstream is not doing it right.

Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote