Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Power Zip Dee awning

My awning is giving me a big problem. Now I am a Rv technician and a master automotive technician. Zip Dee keeps saying that there are a lot of people with problems and it's the wiring in the trailer itself. All my tests show it's in the front arm. So with that are any of the newer owners having problems with the power awning. If I would know that I would have such a headache with the power awning I would never have gotten it.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What did Airstream say when you contacted them?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Bob, are you aware that there is a recent update to the board? Not sure this is the issue, but my dealer is replacing mine -- the old ones go back to Zip Dee for reprogramming. Have you called them to get some help with a diagnosis? The adjustment of the limit switch is really critical.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thanks babs waiting for zip dee to call back. I know from testing that there is a problem with the wiring in the front arm. Every time I call they say that they are getting a lot of calls and the problem is with the trailer not the awning. So I pulled the wiring out in the wall at the front arm and sent power straight to the motor and it still doesn't work. Now they want me to pull wiring from the control unit to the same wires that I already checked to see if it will work.About ready to get a mobile technician over and let them charge zip dee out the behind to tell them the same thing I said. Should of got the manual one less problems and easier to fix.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I called Zip Dee a few months back because I was having a small issue with the tilt function. The tech walked me through a minor adjustment to the limit switch and that was it. He said that the problems with the awning are because Airstream doesn't install and adjust them correctly. (I suspect Airstream would blame it on Zip Dee.) FWIW, I have the impression that there ARE some ongoing issues with the RELAX set-up. I know for sure that there have been THREE modifications to the electronics within the last year. Also, I understand they are still working on some kind of automated device that would retract your awning if a high wind came up. I (for one) do NOT like the way the awning is wired into the trailer. There are NO quick disconnects from the three motors (two arms/roller tube) into the trailer. All of the awning cabling (front and rear) is wired directly into the main circuit board...behind my pot and pan drawer, so if you do have a problem it is impossible to remove any of the motors without cutting internal wiring. To say that this is service unfriendly would be a huge understatement. AND, I think there are probably 8 wires in the front arm and 6 in the rear arm, I am sure that Zip Dee/Airstream will eventually get resolved, my sense is that this really nice setup (when it works), was NOT ready for Prime Time. OH, and I have installed a kill switch on mine so I can remove ALL power to the board when I'm on the road. I do NOT want to look in my right rearview mirror and see the awning deploying at 60 MPH.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I called Zip Dee a few months back because I was having a small issue with the tilt function. The tech walked me through a minor adjustment to the limit switch and that was it. He said that the problems with the awning are because Airstream doesn't install and adjust them correctly. (I suspect Airstream would blame it on Zip Dee.) FWIW, I have the impression that there ARE some ongoing issues with the RELAX set-up. I know for sure that there have been THREE modifications to the electronics within the last year. Also, I understand they are still working on some kind of automated device that would retract your awning if a high wind came up. I (for one) do NOT like the way the awning is wired into the trailer. There are NO quick disconnects from the three motors (two arms/roller tube) into the trailer. All of the awning cabling (front and rear) is wired directly into the main circuit board...behind my pot and pan drawer, so if you do have a problem it is impossible to remove any of the motors without cutting internal wiring. To say that this is service unfriendly would be a huge understatement. AND, I think there are probably 8 wires in the front arm and 6 in the rear arm, I am sure that Zip Dee/Airstream will eventually get resolved, my sense is that this really nice setup (when it works), was NOT ready for Prime Time. OH, and I have installed a kill switch on mine so I can remove ALL power to the board when I'm on the road. I do NOT want to look in my right rearview mirror and see the awning deploying at 60 MPH.
The following thread will give you more information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post1661114
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	249328  
Old 09-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Yup, I posted on that thread as well. Maybe we need a special section on RELAX awning issues....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
I have a concern about the power owning after reading this post. I concated my dealer and he said that their experience is about 50/50 for people having problems with their power awning. In my book that's not good odds. I don't want to pay extra for problems, so I'm considering a change order to eliminate the power awning. I still have time to do this. I like the bells and whistles, but not the problems. I'll consider this and let them know tomorrow.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
I have a concern about the power owning after reading this post. I concated my dealer and he said that their experience is about 50/50 for people having problems with their power awning. In my book that's not good odds. I don't want to pay extra for problems, so I'm considering a change order to eliminate the power awning. I still have time to do this. I like the bells and whistles, but not the problems. I'll consider this and let them know tomorrow.
I believe Zip Dee is figuring it out and the module updates have improved the reliability. I do like the convenience of the Relax Awning so far so good with the new one that has been installed with the repairs to my TT. If you decide to keep the order with the power awning be sure to have an isolation switch installed. Why Airstream doesn't install a switch as a matter of practice and recommendation by Zip Dee amazes me. Good luck and congratulations on your new AS!
Old 09-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
NWRVR, Thanks for the information. I like the idea of the power awning. My dealer will call me back tomorrow and discuss this concern with me. I never had a problem with the power awning on my motor home.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Just back from my dealer's. They replaced the board .... though I hadn't had any problems with the one that had been installed when the trailer was delivered. The tech who works on my trailer knows the techs at Zip Dee very well. His take (and I trust his judgement completely), is that they are continually improving the Relax awning. For those who have not had the newest board installed (green dot on it), this can be done at any time. Apparently, they take the old ones and reflash them with new software. One plus for the update is that if you use the tilt function it's possible to start and restart without going through a close cycle. He demonstrated this to me, and it does add some flexibility. This tech has worked on Zip Dee's and Airstreams for decades. Perhaps most importantly was his comment that, "Zip Dee is a really high class company and they will bend over backwards to make sure the customers are taken care of." By this, his reassurance was -- don't worry too much about your awning, it WILL get taken care of. IF I were ordering a new trailer I would DEFINITELY order it with the Relax awning. AND, I would (and did) install a kill switch so I don't need to worry about any "on the road" opening accidents. BTW, all the boards come with receptacles for the optional key fob remote control (which I have and like), as well as the (hopefully) soon to be offered "high wind" automatic closing switch.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
For warranty and parts zip-dee is first class. I have done bus. with them since beginning when Henry worked out of his garage, now employee owned, so if updates needed for power awning they will do it. I will stay with manual awning as my AS is 1976 no changes needed. As BAB stated zip-dee first class company.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Bab, thanks for sharing that information. I ordered mine from the same place you did. I feel better about keeping the electric awning on my order. I am guessing that OTD will install a kill switch for me? First time I heard about a key fob remote, I need one of those.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Somewhere In , Maine
If it helps, I had a problem with the awning during extend and retract cycles where the front end skipped while the rear arm retracted. In one ugly retraction, the front arm was a foot or so from retraction while the awning was fully retracted on the spool.
Called Zip Dee, who thought it was an airstream wiring problem with intermittent contact. Brought it to Colonial. They worked with Zip Dee and determined that it was the sensor on the rear arm that was providing intermittent signals to the board. They ordered and replaced the rear arm. Everything is now copacetic.

Now where would the cutout switch go? That's a good idea
2spinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
BeetleBob, I will continue to follow this posting. Would appreciate you posting what you find out.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Paul, if you ordered your trailer from ODM in Colfax, you can undoubtedly have Ricky install a kill switch for you. I showed him how I'd done it, and it is really not a big deal. Switch placement would be fairly simple. (I have a fairly complex electrical panel installed at the top of my wardrobe, and I ran the wire there so I'd continue to have all my electrical add-ons in one place.) There are other places that would work well, like adjacent to the open/close/tilt board. The key fob remote is an option you can add anytime. Very simple. They ship you a board that fits next to the control unit along with the wire to plug it in. Owner can easily do this, and the instructions they'll send are simple. It's around $350. Pricey, but?
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
BAB, after your earlier post I did talk to Brian (my salesman) at ODM and told him that I would take the electric awning. I asked him about the key fob remote and he couldn't answer that question, but he will check on it. I also asked him to check with AS and see if the kill switch could be factory installed. BAB, when it comes to electronics I'm clueless. I will also have Ricky install my PP hitch.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
You'll do much better having Ricky install a kill switch for you rather than having the factory do it. Any kind of change on your order will just complicate the build process -- plus they will probably charge you an up charge for a mod, PLUS the cost of the switch. My switch was around $5 (it lights up when you turn it on). Ricky is a complete, total expert on anything having to do with Airstream electrical systems and can do this in about an hour. (He has installed my last two ProPride hitches and knows exactly how to do it on a new Classic.)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #19
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
This is a good thread... I have replaced three updated circuit boards and one awning motor. I know that the previous board was very dependent on battery voltage. Discharged batteries raise havoc with the relax awning. Seems that the initial install would set the tone for how well this awning behaves in the future. Wiring connections and routing are very important. Jimmy is a great resource at ZipDee. Nice folks...

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
I can only hope by December that AS gets this figured out. It seems to me that by now they realize they have a problem with the electric awning. Like my Grandfather used to say, "if you have a problem and keep doing things the same old way you will continue to get the same results".