Old 10-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
NorCal , California
Cool jack setup, are they auto-leveling. Who made this for you, and can the frame really take it?

we just received our 17

Old 10-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Bud
For a quick clarification. The factory response about the battery switch is it should not need to be touched unless truly storing and cutting all of the power? After I plugged in at the second park, (I forgot at the first) I flipped the battery switch and everything went out. I asked my dealer about it and they said just leave it on because the inverter (or what ever it is, this may be the wrong term) is smart enough to not over charge.

And for anyone... if you are parking it for a month or more, do you move it forward or back every once in a while to prevent tire issues?

Old 10-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
NorCal , California
3 Days in our 2017 Classic

Overall this trailer rocks!

A few bugs to work out, here's the good, bad and bugs from a whopping 3 days in the trailer. If anyone has answers to our bugs, please let me know.

The Good:
It's Awesome.
Looks Fantastic.
We love it!
Plenty of Storage.
Alde Heating System - It works pretty good and it's quiet! Ya just need to learn how to make the best of it, we're still learning.
The New Speaker location!
The Firefly system, (a few tank monitor bugs)

The Bad

Tried to have a MaxxAir cover installed over the Fantastic Fan at the dealer, but they said there is not enough clearance between the Fan and the Skylight. This I chock up to a Factory Design Oops.

If The Bathroom Door Is opened all the way there is no bumper/door stop to
keep the door handle from banging into the Pantry...Fixed with a Clear Stick On Bumper.

The OceanAir Day/Night Shades will not pull down to the bottom unless you twist the bottom of the shade to clear the 2 window knobs. This one pisses me off. Part of my day job is BIM clash detection, so it's super frustrating, and such an easy fix for Airstream...come on guys.

The Bed lift....won't lift you, (or maybe just me)..Dealer said it's not for use while in bed, you must adjust before getting in..My advise to Airstream, install the correct sized motor and make it work as most people expect it to function.

The Bugs

The Tank Monitor system. I know that this is not new to RV's, but new to Airstream.

We're getting some pretty strange readings on the tank levels, from both the Sealevel under the sink and Firefly system. The lighting however is perfect and we love it.

We have not put any Domestic Water into our trailer, we're currently on Full hookups, but it's showing up as partially filled?

The Black tank is not showing up at all...Scary...and it's been used and drained just to see what is going on....Still no readings.

Grey is showing up to what appears correctly, but when we drain the grey, the level on the Domestic Water raises..WTH

Propane levels have a mind of their own. We've see Both Full, One Full and One Empty and Both Empty...We just need to look at the tanks for now.

The frustrating part is this passed the Factory, and the PDI inspections where the dealer said they operated the tanks, they think it's a calibration issue?. I like the guys at the service department and they seem to be very honest, they are looking into it...still wondering how this got past inspections. If they needed calibration, that should have been done at the factory, right?

Shower head, looks nice, but not a good shower result, we'll look into something that works better.

To put in perspective these are 1st world problems and won't distract from our happiness, we'll get them resolved soon enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	272918  
Old 10-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Ya Airstream seems to have a bit of "install it and forget it" attitude. Very light on testing stuff after install.

I posted in another thread, my '16 had a disconnected electrical outlet above the dinette that the Blu-ray player is plugged into. This means this item went through manufacture, factory inspection, Colonial dealer inspection and delivery with the Blu-ray player never being tested for operation once.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Vent Cover

Hi Osin,

Although the MaxxAir cover won't fit, a Fantastic brand cover does.

Ron
Old 10-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC303 View Post
Hi Osin,

Although the MaxxAir cover won't fit, a Fantastic brand cover does.

Ron

Hmmm, I had asked my dealer to install a Fantastic Fan version and was told after attempting that it wouldn't fit.
Instagram: cory_can
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #49
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Anyone with a newer Classic have any issues with the double-stick tape and Velcro items?

Just about every single double stick item or Velcro item has failed on my 2016.

From the bed support legs under the Dinette table, to the Corian top in the couch, to ALL of the light wiring bundles in the cabinets. Everything has peeled off. Either they use the worst/cheapest Chinese tape/Velcro or they didn't put any pressure on them when they installed from factory.
James, sorry to hear about your adhesive issues. I saw the Classic down in Fredericksburg ... the tape had also failed on the Corian top in the couch in their display unit. It was pretty badly beat-up. I bought a tube of mirror adhesive from Dulles Glass and Mirror a few weeks ago - you're welcomed to have it. Note: I haven't seen any adhesive tape or failures yet but it's only been a week and a half... Let me know if you want it. Take care, Rich
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
At Jackson Center I asked them to install two Maxxair II covers, the only ones they stocked at the time. They were able to put one on the front vent but the rear one was too tight because of the solar panels. Later I measured the slightly smaller footprint of the standard Maxxair cover and it was tight but fit. So I put it on.

Check out the slightly smaller Maxxair if the Maxxair II won't fit.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #51
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
OSIN, we had the same issue with our propane tanks. Easy fix. Go out to the propane cylinders and loosen the big "screw" ... shift the hold-down on the tanks ... you're looking for a good, clean, metal on metal connection (there may be a hint of corrosion so manhandle the connection a bit to get that metal on metal). Then crank down really tight on the screw and they should come up on the firefly. Kevin or Chris taught us that while we were at Colonial...

Also, I found a minor problem with my Fantastic Fan cover/hood with screen. The lid motorized fan lid isn't closing all the way -- it's hanging on the cover or the bug-screen. I'm bringing the trailer back to Colonial for the other fixes I mentioned in my other thread... Can't wait to get her back!

Congrats on your Classic and I couldn't agree more with your assessment: it's a beautiful trailer and we love ours. We're really happy with the Cognac Maple "screw-up" ... we love it!

Take care,
Rich
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We camped the night of our fixes to the Alde system and other small issues. The outside temps went to 55 degrees and I'd set the Alde at 69 degrees to see if it worked. Never heard it, no sense it was on, BUT, the coach was 69 degrees when our dogs got me up at 6:00AM. My wife Alice commented that the coach felt "toasty and clean". I thought it felt nice and warm. Turned the heat up to 72 it took a while to get up to that temp, but it did.

We both took showers, water was not hot but was warm enough. The trick is in case you don't know is to go to menu and where it has a picture of hot water, hit the PLUS sign, that will move the bar up to max and it shuts down the heat aspect of the boiler for up to half an hour to concentrate on shower etc hot water. Seems to work as we did not run out of hot water.

So far we like the Alde system, love the coach. I do a lot of stuff on my trailers myself and had a question as to hot water tank drain. Only one person at the factory could answer my question as the system is so new to them. If one removes the front dinette, small curb side panel there is a blue pipe with a yellow handle on it, move the handle up while not connected to city water and pump is not on, bingo, tank is empty. Also, on road side under the coach there are two levers, one blue one read, move them and water drains from the whole coach and the hot water tank.

I've gone over the Alde in the last two days with everyone I could find at JC, including about eight people in production. ALL were very accommodating, friendly and if they did not know they openly admitted it and found someone who did - very refreshing.

Also, about quality control, it's there and appears to be improving daily. Five trailers were pulled from the line and were sitting outside to have re-work done on them for various issues found in final inspection. Having run a factory the only concern I had and have is the number of people working on each unit at any particular time. I realize everyone has a task to perform, but at one point during the wiring aspect I counted seven people inside the coach being wired. To me, and I freely admit I am not sure, but to me it seems like a lot of people in a small area trying to get a job done correctly and quickly. 18 a day between 3,000 and 4,000 a year is a tall task for something such as an AS.

This is our 4th AS and first trip to JC, well worth the time and effort and I think it will give one re-newed confidence in the product we paid for.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Wow, 7 people in there when it's being wired? No wonder wiring seems to be a weak point with AS...
Old 10-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Bud
Those 2017 AS look great! I'd love to have a new or newer AS. Our 34 works good with the 2 big Golden Retrievers though.

Post pics!

Jane
Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
NorCal , California
AIRHEDS...Thanks for the tip, the Propane tank levels appear to be reading now, I'll see it it holds.

Wish I had a fix for the other readings, after another day here's what I've got!

Black: Does not indicate correctly, it changes from 5% to zero.
Grey: Indicates but I'm not trusting it, as we are pretty conservative of water, and it's 85% full in 2 days. I know our showers are 2 min max using the on-off button and it's just 2 of us?
Domestic: Indicates, and we've never put water in the tank, still reading 15%

Update: I drained the Grey and here's the following readings:

Black = 5%
Grey = 0%
Domestic = 20% now, IT WENT UP 5% when I drained the Grey?

This makes me think of bad things happening, anyone have an idea? Also just to be clear the Sea Level display under the sink has the same readings.

Please tell me it's not possible to have Grey water introduced in the Domestic tank...LOL
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIN View Post
AIRHEDS...Thanks for the tip, the Propane tank levels appear to be reading now, I'll see it it holds.

Wish I had a fix for the other readings, after another day here's what I've got!

Black: Does not indicate correctly, it changes from 5% to zero.
Grey: Indicates but I'm not trusting it, as we are pretty conservative of water, and it's 85% full in 2 days. I know our showers are 2 min max using the on-off button and it's just 2 of us?
Domestic: Indicates, and we've never put water in the tank, still reading 15%

Update: I drained the Grey and here's the following readings:

Black = 5%
Grey = 0%
Domestic = 20% now, IT WENT UP 5% when I drained the Grey?

This makes me think of bad things happening, anyone have an idea? Also just to be clear the Sea Level display under the sink has the same readings.

Please tell me it's not possible to have Grey water introduced in the Domestic tank...LOL

I would be ECSTATIC if my tank level indicators had a 5% error. I don't think it's anything to be concerned with.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote