Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
The jacks look interesting. Is that a full strength leveling system? Mind telling how much something like that costs?

I'll let Ron answer your question about the "new" version Canam just installed on his '17, but I have something similar on my '15 and boy does it make changing tires super easy. On my last trip I ran over a screw which brought on a slow leak. All I had to do was raise the trailer on the Levelers, pull the tire, have it patched while the trailer stayed off the ground and then reinstalled and dropped it back down.....built in tire jacks. Their "real" purpose is to level and completely stabilize. You no longer have to deal with the constant trailer movement while walking inside since they eliminate tire and suspension flex......you also don't have to build Lego block fortresses
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #22
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
What are they called? I can't wait to learn more...

Thanks,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Please post information on 2017 Classics

Yes this leg system would be of interest to me also. So if we could get some more info that would be great

Thanks

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I am also interested. It would be super nice not to have to do the leveling block chock/dance every time I park at a new site.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Front lounge

Question:. Do those who have a classic with front lounge that reclines find them comfortable? We are considering a 2017 and this is a concern, now have a 30' 2015 with factory recliners we will be selling. Thanks
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
Believe it or not they're the same jacks as the tongue jack; though not the 2017 jacks being used. CanAm switched out the existing jack to the Super Jack; same ones used in previous years on the Classics. The price I believe is around $2500 installed; but not really sure since there were a lot of mods.
I've been camping for the last two weeks at various parks; they've gotten lots of use. They work amazing. I use Hoss pads which make deploying them faster

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
The front lounge with recliners have not changed from the 15 to the 17 except that now the reclining switch has a USB charge in the middle.
This should not be in your decision making about whether or not to upgrade to '17

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 09-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Rawn77 -- great trailer and thanks for the photos and details!

Are these new Leveler jacks really spec'd to raise the entire trailer off the ground, in order to change a tire (as cory_can said)? Including wind loads from the sides?

Unless Airstream has beefed up the trailer's frame structure, it would seem that putting the entire weight on the four point loads of the Levelers, is quite a change from having all the weight centered over the axles.

I am also curious to know what the 12-volt loads are for the Levelers, in terms of battery management.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Not sure if this 2014 comment applies to the jacks being discussed here, but it says no go to raising the trailer:

https://www.airstream.com/faq/my-tra...care-for-them/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
I'll let Ron answer your question about the "new" version Canam just installed on his '17, but I have something similar on my '15 and boy does it make changing tires super easy. On my last trip I ran over a screw which brought on a slow leak. All I had to do was raise the trailer on the Levelers, pull the tire, have it patched while the trailer stayed off the ground and then reinstalled and dropped it back down.....built in tire jacks. Their "real" purpose is to level and completely stabilize. You no longer have to deal with the constant trailer movement while walking inside since they eliminate tire and suspension flex......you also don't have to build Lego block fortresses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
Believe it or not they're the same jacks as the tongue jack; though not the 2017 jacks being used. CanAm switched out the existing jack to the Super Jack; same ones used in previous years on the Classics. The price I believe is around $2500 installed; but not really sure since there were a lot of mods.
I've been camping for the last two weeks at various parks; they've gotten lots of use. They work amazing. I use Hoss pads which make deploying them faster
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-350.htm

Let me try to explain. These do not replace the stabilizer jacks; they're still there and function as normal. These are Super Jacks (tongue jacks) rated at 3500 lbs each. They are attached to the frame behind the axels. There is no issue as far as strength to the jacks or the frame. They take no more of a 12v load as does your existing tongue jack; so no issue there unless you have a single 10yr old battery.

Ron

2017 Classic
Honda EU3000
Hensley
Old 09-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Fwiw, here is a video of the way mine work. This isn't my specific trailer but will give you an idea of their function. Ron's new install uses a different type of jack (completely vertical deployment without "flip-down" but with same result. The end of the video concludes with the front tongue jack still down, when it is raised all the tires have the ability to be off the ground.

https://youtu.be/GisPid0r-QQ
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Alden Heating & Hot Water

For anyone with a 2017 and the Aldi system; any issues? I've gone to the Aldi site, downloaded their app and to date not many service centers in the US. Not overly concerned about heat, but hot water is for us important. Considering a classic, but have a two year old 30' 2015 with almost no issues and now about 10 months in it. So, want storage, etc but not looking forward to the new rv issues.

Thanks

Buf
Old 09-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Anyone with feedback on the Aldi system?
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Yippie, update on using the 2017 Classic

Ok, we have been in our trailer for about 2 weeks, off and on. Overall we are completely impressed, more than we both thought. We have both stated that we could easily live in it though we will probably not be without a house for many years.
We put it in a park near our home for the first week and I stayed there most of the time while my husband went back and forth from home. He had a few teen and work duties to attend to.
We had NO…did I say no, NO experience with trailering of any kind. We drove around the block from the dealer (only ran over only one curb but did not take out any signs, we called it a win), then we were on our way. He maneuvered through a few tight turns in the first RV Park like a champ. (I need to try to stop saying, wide but in your lane…over and over.)
We pretty much had heat stroke from setting it up, we had to take everything we were using out of the boxes and it was over 100 degrees. I had been shopping for a year so I had everything and I mean everything just not unboxed…but nothing unnecessary so far. I had rehearsed the setup so many times in my head it was not too chaotic just slow.
I used all systems that first week and all worked with no problems. There are a few little cabinet/drawer issues but nothing big.
For the 3 cabinet lights that did not go out, I used few of the little round felt disks that you put on the bottom of chair legs. They worked perfectly. Just enough thickness to push the light button.
For the Alde system; we took showers and did dishes without trying to hurry and did not run out of hot/warm water (I never take hot showers). We have not used it as a heat system yet.
With that over 100 temp (in Austin) the AC kept up to about 77-78. It ran most of the day but only a few times in the night. Very comfortable.
The mirror on the wall in the bathroom; there are 3 small silver caps covering what I hope is some kind of attachment to the wall.
I know there is more, ask anything, hopefully I will have an answer.
Brenda
BetterNowlinLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #34
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterNowlinLater View Post
Ok, we have been in our trailer for about 2 weeks, off and on ... The mirror on the wall in the bathroom; there are 3 small silver caps covering what I hope is some kind of attachment to the wall.
Hi Brenda. I had actually called Airstream about 2 months ago and learned that they were, indeed, focused on resolving a number of the quality problems that were identified here in the forums, to include the falling bathroom mirror issue. The gentleman I spoke with, (Jon Puckett, Owner Relations Rep) had informed me that they were trying several fixes on the 2017 Classics, in parallel, one of which included the use of "clips around the perimeter of the mirror" ... he acknowledged that they were still using the double-stick tape. I kind'a freaked when I visualized the 1970's plastic clips around the mirror, not to mention that they were still using the tape. I politely expressed my opinion and suggested that they try a professional grade mirror adhesive, which is sold only at reputable/dedicated glass and mirror shops (nothing from a big box store).

Regardless, I'm quite pleased with the appearance of the fasteners/caps. They were very obvious to me when I walked into the bathroom the first time because I was looking for them ... but after a week in the trailer, I haven't noticed them again.

Enjoy your new trailer!

Take care,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Rich, I am so glad for you and the many others before us that pressured Airstream into the fix. I am very happy with the fasteners. I was really worried about what I was going to do if there was no change. It is so hot here so I knew it was going to fall if nothing was done.

Enjoy yours also!

Thank You

Brenda
Old 10-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
We picked up our 30' Rear Twin 2017 Classic this past week. Wonderful trailer but seems to be some quirks the dealer was not aware of or forgot to pass on.

The back up camera only works if the parking lights are turned on as that is where AS Factory decided to pull the 12v power from.

The Firefly panel is a strange one; The individual lights, say ceiling must be turn on by their individual circuit and then turned off at the Master button in order for the Master be able to turn them back on.

We also found that the battery disconnect switch needs to be in the USE position per conversation with the factory, despite what the owners manual says. The answer from the factory is "this coach has a true disconnect function". We shall see for sure on Tuesday when we are there for the Alde system correction.

The refrigerator door when opened all the way hits the handle for the pull out pantry. Open with any force and you dent the refrigerator door.

The Alde system produces or appears to produce plenty of hot water. We still have the trailer in our driveway so testing consisted of running the hot water for well over five minutes non-stop without running out.

Shades take up some room, but are day and night and at the night setting provide total privacy with no side openings. The wrap around windows front and back are terrific. More room inside for the two of us and our two English Labradors than our 30' FC except we had the recliner edition and one of the dogs could sleep between the chairs, but they will figure it out.

The Alde heating aspect does not function. Called the dealer, they checked it, called the factory which had me check the reservoir located in the bathroom cabinet above the toilet and inside an access panel on the roadside - empty. Called the factory back, they gave me a number of options and possible reasons. We are leaving tomorrow for the factory as they gave us an appointment for Tuesday morning. This is our forth AS and never been to the factory, so we are using this trip to set the Alde system right at it's source and take a tour as well as camp test the unit before our three plus month trip in January.

Other than the above we find the twin as more than enough storage both inside and outside. Beds are comfortable, dinette is very nice as are the front "incliners" as they call them. The trailer tows heavy even empty - I've towed for over 45 years. I personally would not consider anything less than an F250 Diesel to tow this unit with.

If this trailer is as it appears to be, as we hope, we are looking forward to a long and successful relationship covering lots of miles.

Bud
Old 10-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #37
♫ Streaming... ♫

2017 30' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Bud,

Thanks for the update on your new Classic. Sorry you are having to deal with an issue on the Alde system but service at the factory is first rate. Based on our experience there, they will have it running like a swiss watch by the time you depart.

The terraport is pretty cool since you're surrounded by hundreds of Airstreams. The tour is something every Airstream owner should do. We spent a night there to get a couple of little things fixed on our 27FB (mainly for the tour) and the service guy ended up fixing several other items that we hadn't even noticed. He walked back to the waiting area a few times to tell us that he had found some nitpicking something and asked our permission to make it right. By the time we left, we were laughing about the level of service they provided us. First class and highly recommended.

We are picking up our Classic next week and reading your initial impressions makes me want to leave now. Look forward to your comments after the visit and hope you leave Jackson Center the same way we did - with a grin.
2017 Airstream Classic 30, ProPride 3P, Centramatic | AM Solar | WBCCI #9721
2019 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7L, SRW, 4X4, Platinum Ultimate Pkg, Ingot Silver | BedRug | ARE Z series
@rivetville
rivetville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have the queen but agree that there is plenty of space for everything. I was picturing each set of "whatever" taking up an entire cabinet.

Jeans/shorts=1, socks=1 drawer, undies=1 cubby. And, in the kitchen 1 set of a few dishes=1, glasses=1. You get the idea.

In reality, I did not realize how deep the cabinets were. I have jeans, jammies and a container with socks and undies in 1 cabinet with shirts hanging in the wardrobe.

I have 2 sets of dishes (I love dishes and have summer and winter...doesn't everyone) and 8 cups in 2 stacks in 1 cabinet.

I have at least 6 drawers/small cabinets with nothing in them. I am not full timing but have everything I would want in a kitchen and food and clothes for 2 for a week, in the trailer. I am amazed.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Anyone with a newer Classic have any issues with the double-stick tape and Velcro items?

Just about every single double stick item or Velcro item has failed on my 2016.

From the bed support legs under the Dinette table, to the Corian top in the couch, to ALL of the light wiring bundles in the cabinets. Everything has peeled off. Either they use the worst/cheapest Chinese tape/Velcro or they didn't put any pressure on them when they installed from factory.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
We concluded our factory service today on our 2017 week old Classic. Frankly I could not be more impressed with the people and work performed. We went because the Alde system had no fluid, so no heat. That had to be done by the production department as service department has no pump and had never done it. Then the tech working on our unit corrected a small gap in our entry door, couple of hours and never had a door work so nicely. The info unit was showing one LP tank empty he fixed that as well and then checked over everything. No rush, no hurry up and move on to the next one. Plus I was involved with everything as our Tech, Les kept me informed and then answered all my questions. Camped at Teraport,. Only issue awful cell service. I've run a factory and a company, Airstream is doing it right. The service team is 100% customer focused.