Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Packing the classic

My wife and I would like some advice on how to properly store and place our effects in our 2016 30 classic. I realize that Tupperware storage containers are a good idea but we would benefit from the experience of others
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Obviously, there are numerous ways to pack up your new Classic. Here's what we do.

Interior: We try to put heavier items in the lower drawers, and light objects in upper cabinets. We put pots and pans in the drawers under the dinette seats. Canned items in lower pantry shelves, and drawer under lounge. We carry lots of cloth hand towels and layer them between breakable plates and around breakable glasses, etc. We use plenty of tupperware, and also place them between other breakable objects. Refrigerater and pantry - separate each glass container with a nonbreakable container.

We keep a small shoe rack just inside the front door, remove shoes there so we dont track dirt/leaves/etc through the cabin. I also keep a pair of flip-flops outside by the steps so I can conveniently go in and out as needed. We also keep a small hand whisk broom just inside the door.

We have a collapsible nylon dog crate that we use for temporary storage while on the road. We put the Keurig coffee pot in there, gallon water bottles, dehumidier, and other heavier odds and ends that we dont want flying around while underway. When we arrive at our destination, we put them back on the counters/ table, fold up the crate and store it in our truck. We typically need to shift some weight to the front to bring tongue weight up to at least 10%, so the crate often contains heavier items, and is placed in front and center of the lounge.

The wardrobe closet and overbed storage bins contain clothes, spare towels, spare sheets and similar personal items. Nothing special here.

Exterior: i use the rear bumper storage for items that can get wet/dirty e.g., for sewer connectors, gray hose (for flushing black water tank), and the like. Our rear storage bin contains 3 plastic storage boxes - one for electrical cables and connectors, one for water hoses/filters/connectors, and one for misc stuff. One of these sits in the lower compartment and the others above it.

We have the twin bed model with exterior storage bins on each side aft of the wheels - I understand the double bed model does not have these side bins. On the streetside bin goes our BBQ supplies/tools, awning pole tool (provided), stabilizer crank tool (provided), Atwood jack tool (which I bought on Amazon) and a support for the sewer hose.

In the curbside bin, I keep 2 folding deck chairs, a rolled up 10 x 20 ground cloth with tent stakes, and misc small outdoor items. There's a very small flip down storage bin under the large curbside bin - I keep a grease gun wrapped in an old towel there to lube our WD equipment and hitch.

In general. I try to prevent heavy and or breakable items from having too much room to move around both horizontally and vertically. Pad them with other softer items to prevent them from breaking, and to prevent them from denting, scratching or cracking parts of your Airstream - such as plastic pipes.

This setup works for us but I'm sure there are hundreds of other ways to pack that might suit you better. I hope you picked up a few useful ideas, but have a great time discovering what works for you....Now go camping!!!
Old 12-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
meandher

2021 27' Globetrotter
Miami , Florida
Thanks this really helps
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Less stuff to pack and fret over has major benefits.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just went through this with our new Classic. My advice to you is pack it the way you want it and then get rid of 1/3 of what you packed.

#1. It won't all fit!

#2. You don't need 6 bowls. Just keep the small one and the large one.

#3. One screwdriver, one plier, one wrench, one chisel, you get the idea.

#4. Ceramics - 4 dishes, 4 bowls, 4 cups. Any more - get out the paper plates

#5. If you forget something, you can buy it later. Don't bring it thinking you need it.

#6. One kitchen knife

#7. Buy wire shelves at Walmart to put in your kitchen cabinets. Gives you upper and lower areas for more stuff.

#8. Think minimalist.

#9 Reduce your wife's shoe count to 15. That's the limit. Tuff one!

#10 Bring one large container with lid for dirty clothes and keep it under the trailer, not in the trailer.

You kind of get the idea. Take less then you need. Get the things you forgot later. Don't bring everything you think you will need, cause you don't need them. If you are worried about buying duplicated of what you left behind, don't. Buy duplicates so you don't have to pack like this again. Keep them in the trailer. We own two of the same coffee pots we like, two dysans, two toasters, two mixers and on and on. One stays in the trailer and one stays at home. We don't bring our home stuff and we don't unpack our trailer stuff.

Make sense?

Heavy stuff low, light stuff highj.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Make the small appliances that stay in the trailer small. We have a 4 cup coffee maker and a kraff. Both store easy compared to a 10 cup coffee maker.

Towels we have a set that lives in the trailer. They are a specific pattern we don't have in the house.

Outside things, chairs, bins of outdoor equipment travel on the floor against the front couch. Flag poles on the center ailse.

Sometimes I carry the 50amp electrical cord in the back of the truck. Its easier to load there than the "trunk" in the trailer.

Smaller sized mayo jars. It is easier to pack small sized food containers than the warehouse discount mass size.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote