Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This link has some helpful insights in to the costs of poor quality.

http://www.isixsigma.com/implementat...failure-costs/
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglewalt View Post
Does your trailer insurance not cover repair of the damage?
That's another story. Once I knew we'd be picking up the trailer on a certain date, I called my agent. He said, "call me after you get it. You're automatically insured for 30 days after purchase anyway."

So when my new iPhone died on the trip and I was without my contacts, I figured I'd call once we got home. I'll never do that again.

Long story short, we are now covered (and were at the time of the accident), but it was very awkward to call the agent to get coverage after the accident and after making the claim. During the phone conversation with him, he was obviously thrown and had to put us on hold and call us back several times before he agreed that, yes, we had been covered.

I don't think our insurance company has a clue about Airstreams. (When our agent asked the purchase price, he didn't believe us that it didn't have an engine, ha-ha.) My plan was to use them only through January (while it's stored), and that we'd have to find a different insurer once we went full-time.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Not so sure about that. The LPG issue is rather insidious in that it takes a considerable time for the gas to shut off - I missed it myself checking everything out at the dealer. I was checking to see if the appliances worked on gas, not how long they worked. The cosmetic damage to the cabinets may be beyond most/all dealer's ability to perfectly repair, hence the service manager's comment about replacing them. The scratch on the exterior would have required a panel replacement - given the repair at any dealer I know of would have involved using Olympic rivets instead of buck rivets on the replacement, I think I would have just lived with it myself. If the oven part is backordered, I'm not sure what else you expect the PDI to do.
This is true. When we returned Thursday as planned after having camped for 2 nights and we complained of the propane problem, they turned the tanks on/off and magically the propane worked again. It worked all that night. Over the night on Friday, it became unavailable again but by then there were no service techs working on Saturday.

Part of the problem too is that we are newbies, so we couldn't speak of the problem with confidence. Probably Foley thought it was a user error and I don't blame them -- we are pretty green. When they got it to work again, they probably thought for sure that it was user error. We ourselves thought maybe we were doing something wrong. So some time was lost there.

About the awning. On Tuesday when being shown how to operate it, we noticed that the latch couldn't be fully inserted, but again, being new, I didn't realize it would become an issue. When we went off for 2 days camping, it was very cold and so we didn't deploy the awning. Only on Saturday morning, did I notice the latch wasn't inserted and so I tried and failed to insert it. Ron came out and spent about 30 minutes troubleshooting the awning, and finally got the latch inserted. (Again, no service techs on Saturday.) Then at the first rest stop, I saw the latch was out. And I don't even know -- is this a problem? I've heard of awnings coming down while towing.

And yes, the panel and cabinets were beyond their capabilities. They did their best to polish and touch up with stain in the meantime.

Another thing with the cabinets -- often looking head on in a certain light, a cabinet door might look fine. But then in the light, you could see abrasions. I complained about two roof locker doors in particular and a big scratch on the end cap of another roof locker. Once we all including Blake started to look carefully, we found many imperfections. I personally don't think they all need replacing. Just a few doors, one long panel just inside the bedroom, and the end cap. Maybe everything else can be handled by spot repairs.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
deleted duplicate
Old 12-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
To clarify: the stove works. It's the oven that doesn't work and needs an ignitor that they have to get from Germany. I suggested they take the part from another Classic on the lot, but apparently it required that the oven be disassembled and they were unwilling to do that.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Joanne, which awning are we talking about?

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Awning hook way stay hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
About the awning. On Tuesday when being shown how to operate it, we noticed that the latch couldn't be fully inserted, but again, being new, I didn't realize it would become an issue. When we went off for 2 days camping, it was very cold and so we didn't deploy the awning. Only on Saturday morning, did I notice the latch wasn't inserted and so I tried and failed to insert it. Ron came out and spent about 30 minutes troubleshooting the awning, and finally got the latch inserted. (Again, no service techs on Saturday.) Then at the first rest stop, I saw the latch was out. And I don't even know -- is this a problem? I've heard of awnings coming down while towing.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. We bought a new 25FB in 2013. We found a number of minor issues but nothing too bad. We waited over a year to put the first dent/scratch in it.

As for the awning, we had a local independent Zip Dee authorized installer add rear and street side awnings. On the street side, he installed the hook wrong, so it won't stay. We always secure it with a plastic zip tie.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Joanne, which awning are we talking about?
The big one, curbside. The latch hook is nearer the rear.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Our 2016 Classic - The Good, Bad, & Ugly

The wheel locks, if reasonably snug, will keep the awning closed. The travel lock (the hook) is more of a belt & suspenders thing in my opinion. You can have JC look at it but I wouldn't worry too much until then.

I'm assuming you have the manual awning.

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
The wheel locks, if reasonably snug, will keep the awning closed. The travel lock (the hook) is more of a belt & suspenders thing in my opinion. You can have JC look at it but I wouldn't worry too much until then.
Keith, good to know, thanks. BTW, will email you in the morning about our propane regulator with picture. Build date is November 2015.

Joanne
Old 12-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Another way to help secure the awning (belts and suspenders) is to use Velcro straps around the awning supports. One in front and one in back at eye level or a little lower will keep the awning from opening even if the wheels at the top are loose.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Joanne: My husband and I retired 2 1/2 years ago, sold our house, cars, and possessions, bought a new truck, picked up our new AS at the dealer, and set out. We had never owned an RV or trailer before, and we had no experience. So we know how you feel!
Candace, somehow I missed your post. Yes, what you did is exactly what we are doing and with no experience. House, cars, and possessions sold (just sold the last car today). It's good to know you not only survived but are thriving! Thanks for the driving school link and all the good advice and encouragement.

Joanne
Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis3751 View Post
Another way to help secure the awning (belts and suspenders) is to use Velcro straps around the awning supports. One in front and one in back at eye level or a little lower will keep the awning from opening even if the wheels at the top are loose.

Dennis
This is a great idea. Have done this for years for peace of mind.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good to hear the dealer attempted repair of cabinets, etc. that's all that can be expected, an attempt to repair. Then the recommendation to go to Ohio makes sense, good luck you have the best,!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:44 AM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face Buy Gently Used......

......or drink the Kool-Aid

Sorry for your troubles

We love our Classic....but would never buy new again.

JC......acres and acres of denial.

Bob
Old 12-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Bob, Amen to that! We bought gently used and after a couple of years on this forum, nothing could ever motivate me to buy one new. We will keep ours until it dies, we die, or decide to stop "camping"

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
If I had spent $100k+ on a brand new trailer and it had all sorts of ridiculous QC issues, I would be very, VERY pissed. I guess I am not a devout Airstream fan and simply cannot take these things in stride. The sad thing is these issues have been reported in this forum for YEARS, yet the company does not seem to care.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
If I had spent $100k+ on a brand new trailer and it had all sorts of ridiculous QC issues, I would be very, VERY pissed. I guess I am not a devout Airstream fan and simply cannot take these things in stride. The sad thing is these issues have been reported in this forum for YEARS, yet the company does not seem to care.
And they never will until they start having trouble selling trailers.

I am curious about something. All of the complaints here (including mine) seem to be from those who ordered trailers to be built. That make me think the trailers destined for dealers lots are being put right prior to be offered for sale. I would be curious where that is happening.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
"And they never will until they start having trouble selling trailers.

I am curious about something. All of the complaints here (including mine) seem to be from those who ordered trailers to be built. That make me think the trailers destined for dealers lots are being put right prior to be offered for sale. I would be curious where that is happening.

Ken"

Not necessarily so.......we went to our state Airstream dealer to look at new 27' international signature's to see if it was worth the fiscal pain to go "new" and get into a floorplan that was more social than the one we have. What we found was crookedly installed blinds, a window in the bathroom door that was visibly canted to the left, and a myriad of other visible evidences of shoddy, sloppy workmanship. Lord only knows what was wrong with the trailer that couldn't be readily seen and wouldn't reveal itself until the trailer was on the road. We left the dealership happy to have our used trailer, knowing we had some improvements implement, but at least things were installed straight. Totally unexcusible in a trailer costing $70-80K. I blame Microsoft. They have conditioned the masses to pay for a product and then be happy when it is faulty in many areas and wait for the next release to "fix" the problem that was a part of the first release. ;>)
gwydir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydir View Post
"And they never will until they start having trouble selling trailers.

Ken"

Not necessarily so.......we went to our state Airstream dealer to look at new 27' international signature's to see if it was worth the fiscal pain to go "new" and get into a floorplan that was more social than the one we have. What we found was crookedly installed blinds, a window in the bathroom door that was visibly canted to the left, and a myriad of other visible evidences of shoddy, sloppy workmanship. Lord only knows what was wrong with the trailer that couldn't be readily seen and wouldn't reveal itself until the trailer was on the road. We left the dealership happy to have our used trailer, knowing we had some improvements implement, but at least things were installed straight. Totally unexcusible in a trailer costing $70-80K. I blame Microsoft. They have conditioned the masses to pay for a product and then be happy when it is faulty in many areas and wait for the next release to "fix" the problem that was a part of the first release. ;>)
It sounds like you've tried Windows 10. At least I was wary enough to install it on only one "experimental" laptop. I like messing with computers, so it has been a game. However at this point I would not trust it with any job or data I cared about. Mine is an upgrade? from Win 7, so perhaps a fresh Win 10 system works better.

In any case your report on the new trailer you saw is not encouraging. Airstream in the last few years recaptured the magic they had many years ago. It is too bad they don't seem to want to keep it.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote