Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Just got a 2012 31' Classic

After having a 1992 25' Classic for 12 years, that my parents gave to us, we have got a new A/S.

We went to Portland OR (800mi one way) to pick up a 2012 31 Classic (new). We wanted the 31' model because of the large wardrobe and the bathroom all on one side.

On our first full tow day home (down the Oregon coast) a piece of the counter (Corian) broke off. We didn't know why it did it until further investigation. The kitchen cabinet bracket was not secured to the exterior wall! The screw was there and just had a bit of fuzz from the wall on it. The sideways movement of the unsecured cabinet knocked into the secured counter top and broke off the piece of counter top.

We also had issues with the mirrored wardrobe doors. The roller at the top has loosened up multiple times, and I fix it multiple times. They also came out of the bottom tracks and one latch broke.

Here is a link to some pictures of the issues: http://portland.casarodante.org/problems.html

There are various other fit and finish issues but at least all the major systems are working well.

Towing is very good. My tow vehicle was a bit of overkill for our 25 but the 31 gives it a good challenge. However the trailer tows great. Much more solid behind us. I think I was getting 15 mpg on the flat ground of Central California.

I understand that there may be minor issues but this is pretty major and was due to lack of quality control. This means I have to take time to transport the trailer to the nearest Airstream dealer, 100 miles away.

Kind of bummed...
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congrats on the new Stream. Sorry about the problčms.

I'll take 15 mpg any day. Wow!

I wonder if the wheels are balanced properly.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Congratulations !!

It could be worse so be happy , enjoy your new baby and let your warranty go to work while you relax
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Congrats on your new purchase and sorry to hear you are having issues. We purchased our trailer new in 2008 and it also had a number of small issues which showed up later on. Being the closest AS dealer is several hours away, I chose to fix them myself. The biggest job was the failure of the Actibrake unit. AS sent me a replacement by Dexter and I installed it myself. Now we have a recall on replacing and rerouting the brake lines at the axles. I think this one is going to go back to a dealer. A piece of counter-top broken off would have peeved me though!! Report it to AS but wait and see what else happens before you bring it in. Our trailer was also purchased from a Oregon dealer. We had it delivered in LA and then towed and camped all the way back to Louisiana. It was an interesting trip being it was December and the weather went through several changes for the worse. Most memorable was after our first night of sleeping in it at a Walmart parking lot and then having it sideways going down I-40 the following morning. We had got an early start, it was dark and we hit some ice. All I could see was myself calling my insurance agent, telling him our new trailer was trash :-( I never had to make the call. The trailer got traction, I pulled over at the next exit and we found a spot to park and went back to bed. It was the best nap I had ever had :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink I've found that....

......one of the hardest things for the factory build guy's to do is work a screwdriver, i.e. roof vents, AC shrouds, fantastic fan hinges, skylights, cabinet latch's, screen door protector, radio speakers etc etc.

Fortunately there are many self help groups right here on the forums.

Two of our first "improvements"....replace all exterior fasteners with stainless,(clearance, tail lights etc), replace the cheep plastic, with a quality fire extinguisher.

Bob
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Yikes - 31' 2012 Classic has to cost a bunch of $$$. For that $$$ I would expect no issues. I am surprised the hard to destruct counter top broke. Almost looks like a flaw in the counter top the way that piece broke off. No jagged edges.

What are you going to do? I would take it back to the dealer to put in a new counter top and triple cross my fingers they do a good job.

Good luck getting things fixed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Thanks for the responses.

I am in contact with the 'local' Airstream repair. The quickest time they had was 2/27 but luckily we don't have any trips planned. This is will also give them time to get the replacement countertop from Airstream.

Airstream themselves also called and talked to me about this. They said they have directed the repair to ensure this gets fixed correctly. I told them add a couple more brackets and screws to the wall if needed!

I am less bummed and this will give us time to transfer all (well maybe not all) our stuff from the 'old' trailer to the new.
On the road!
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
What brand is that extinguisher?
On the road!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
What brand is that extinguisher?
Amerex Halotron.....

Also on Amazon....cheeper in red.

Bob
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Why go all the way to Portland, from Visalia Ca? Was the price or selection better than what was availabe in Pasa Robles, Los Banos or LA?
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I don't know if you were going on some fairly bumpy roads. however it seems to me that you may want to do a little analysis of your hitch and weight distribution system. It sound to me like you may be getting more shock from the road transferred to the trailer than is good for it. I tow a Classic 31D with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram quad cab 4X4 diesel. I have had some trouble with the closet door, but cured that with some upgraded latches and tightening the screws. However the only time I have had that trouble is on very bumpy roads. I am using a ProPride hitch with fairly flexible WD bars. I am curious about what hitch system you are using.

Read this thread for closet doors.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...oor-80739.html

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerardi View Post
Why go all the way to Portland, from Visalia Ca? Was the price or selection better than what was availabe in Pasa Robles, Los Banos or LA?
We specifically wanted the 31' floorplan. We could have found a 30' floorplan somewhere else.

We got a bit over 20% off of MSRP in Portland. Naturally the other dealers we worked with were willing to order for us. And oddly their deals got better once they knew we were going to Portland.

I think we got a good deal, at least we are happy with it.
On the road!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I don't know if you were going on some fairly bumpy roads. however it seems to me that you may want to do a little analysis of your hitch and weight distribution system. It sound to me like you may be getting more shock from the road transferred to the trailer than is good for it. I tow a Classic 31D with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram quad cab 4X4 diesel. I have had some trouble with the closet door, but cured that with some upgraded latches and tightening the screws. However the only time I have had that trouble is on very bumpy roads. I am using a ProPride hitch with fairly flexible WD bars. I am curious about what hitch system you are using.

Read this thread for closet doors.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...oor-80739.html

Ken
Thanks. I will look at the thread.

We have an F250 6.0 diesel 4x4 Crew Cab. We purchased a new Equal-i-zer hitch for 10000 lbs (GVWR of trailer).
On the road!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Congrats!

We're practically neighbors, and there's lot's of great rallies coming up.
Maybe we'll get to see it in person someday

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
One would think for the kind of bucks paid for the "brand" design or manufacturing quality control would not be an issue. We've never had a problem having our warranty issues addressed by either Airstream directly or by the dealer. The issue is the number of times niggling issues come up, getting on the dealers schedule, and the 130 miles to get there, most often two round trips.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
One would think for the kind of bucks paid for the "brand" design or manufacturing quality control would not be an issue. We've never had a problem having our warranty issues addressed by either Airstream directly or by the dealer. The issue is the number of times niggling issues come up, getting on the dealers schedule, and the 130 miles to get there, most often two round trips.
Jack,

QC is not a new concern....

POI...it was JC who requested the thread be terminated.

Bob
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Jack,

QC is not a new concern....

POI...it was JC who requested the thread be terminated.

Bob
Bob, I just read the last few posts of the quality control thread and they seem to be saying that other manufactures were have even more issues. Do you happen to have any insight as to why JC requested the thread closed? Many competitors do not like to be associated with negative comments on the others products in public or had the thread just deteriorated down to a venting rant?

Donna and I have just purchased a 2012(New) International Serenity 28, when we start using in it, I will post any current issues. Our 2005 Safari had a few issues which I fixed easily, but I am sure many would of been upset by them.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Bob, I just read the last few posts of the quality control thread and they seem to be saying that other manufactures were have even more issues. Do you happen to have any insight as to why JC requested the thread closed? Many competitors do not like to be associated with negative comments on the others products in public or had the thread just deteriorated down to a venting rant?

Donna and I have just purchased a 2012(New) International Serenity 28, when we start using in it, I will post any current issues. Our 2005 Safari had a few issues which I fixed easily, but I am sure many would of been upset by them.

Jim
Jim,

I can't speak directly to the why, but this may illuminate it a little.

The "in closing" paragraph is quite telling...

Bob
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Harleys aren't perfect either.

I was taking a walk down the street from the RV park we're in. Stopped into an rv dealership with lots of SOBs. I stepped into a featured trailer on the showroom floor. First thing I noticed was a springy floor. Then the TV was hanging out from the wall with a missing latch. Looking around, everything was really cheap. Just shook my head and left.

I wouldn't want any trailer but an Airstream.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Beautiful Airstream!

Beautiful Airstream! Identical to ours but 5 years newer.
predict you will enjoy it and come to love it as much as we love ours.
Don't let the little issues get you down.
Go ahead and purchase some spare drawer guides at Camping Worlds.
They will break from time to time. No big deal.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 classic, 2013 classic