Old 11-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
switz,

Congrats on the trailer and your running gear mod's and upgrades sound darn good. Experience is taking action. Good luck and enjoy.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On 20 December 2013, the frame came in the door at Jackson Center with our serial number on it for a Classic model 30 with twin beds and dual A/C units with 50 amp power service. While the inverted frame was being filled with tanks, plumbing and axles, the metal for the end caps and sides was being cut and shaped. The side and roof panels were on the router table getting the openings precut and the rivet holes drilled. Each side panel was then carried over to the frame jig and after careful alignment was riveted to the ribs giving the side metal the curve shape. Two pieces of metal were riveted together to make the center roof section.

A large piece of plywood arrived precut as the floor with appropriate openings and the edge groved enough to be visible about 2" in from the edge as a reference on how far in the aluminum edge had to be forced onto the plywood. The two end caps were put in position on the plywood which was now on the elevated shop floor and the side panels were carried over. A single screw at the top of the side panel held the piece to the end cap while the pieces were coerced into the proper location. Then two chaps, one inside and one outside, proceeded with the start of the installation of the 1,400 rivets used on the trailer.

Meanwhile the frame has been turned over and the wheels are attached to the axles and the brake wiring along with the umbilical cord are put in place. It has moved forward to be beside a set of rollers that the body will use to come along side the frame. The frame is put onto a device that makes the top surface of the steel frame absolutely level.

The side and end cap rivets completed and the roof in place, the shell and floor unit is hoisted via the fantastic fan openings and lowered onto the frame. While the units are being fastened together, the external part of the windows and door frame arrive for installation. The unit moves forward to an area with overhead working spaces and the two A/C units, the two skylight frames, and the fantastic fan are mounted and all the side hatches are carefully sealed along with the refrigerator opening and toilet vents. The trailer gets it's first bath as a pressure test for leaks. Evidently there were no leaks or they were quickly fixed.

The trailer is then pushed to the next stop where all the wires are installed into the walls and ceiling along with the PEX plumbing rough in. The inside surface between the ribs is coated with a contact cement or glue and 3" batts of brown insulation are in the process of being fitted inside the trailer. (The brown stuff is not fiberglass, but a mixture of recycled wood and paper that has a one to two number increase in insulation "R" value over fiberglass batting but is safer and easier to work with). The glue will keep the insulation in place instead of sliding to the bottom of the space (as happened in the past) and creating cold spots in the walls.

I then showed up in the factory on 2 January around 2:30pm, which is late in the second day of work, and all the above had been completed. The photos show this progress. My unit was currently third from the exit door of the "initial build" pair of assembly lines. The next stop would be the paint shop (in a separate building) coating the "A" frame with gray paint and installing the manual Classic ZipDee awnings on three sides.

I showed up the next day, 3 January, and my unit was MIA from the floor on either pair of assembly lines so by default it was in the paint shop which is not part of the tour.

After the paint shop, the units come back onto the "finishing" pair of assembly lines on the other side of the factory floor. I saw some of the Hickory cabinetry for Classic units with a few digits lower serial numbers on the 3rd of January. The Hickory wood work has been done by an external third party cabinetry shop for the last several years.

This weekend's entertainment here in central Ohio appears to be a blizzard with sub-zero temperatures. If the factory opens on Monday, 6 January, I will make my best effort to be there and get more photos and watch the progress.

The service area was very busy with a large number of units spending the winter there to get service.

The goal is to squeeze out 51 units per week and average five days per unit for assembly. I think the extra work of the Classic models may push over to six days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3447.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	202923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3448.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	202924  

Name:	IMG_3449.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	202925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3451.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	202926  

Name:	IMG_3452.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	202927  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
The insulation is no longer pink?

It also looks a lot more substantial than our flimsy pink stuff.

Ken
Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Don't you just want to run in there with a caulking gun!

That is neat to watch it being built.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
hmm, never thought of the bathroom in the 30 vs 31 but I see what you mean. The 30' is more self contained but from the floor plan it looks like there is an option to use the hall too with a privacy screen. They both are very nice. I like the twin option with the free standing table on that 31' wow.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks for the good report and photos, we hope to see some more. We were there in October at the Service Center and took the tour twice and enjoyed it very much.

As we were at the end of our two year warranty, one of the things we did at the Service Center was have a leak test by pressurizing the interior and soaping the exterior, then look for bubbles. Leaks were found at two awning arm bases through the rivets that hold them to the shell (we had found them earlier with a Moisture Test Meter). This was the optional street side awning.

Back to your factory tour. Note that they install awnings AFTER the leak test, bypassing this quality check. I suspect this is a common water entry point. As a matter of course I would recommend resealing all the bracket rivets at the center hole and edges, as well as the bracket edges, leaving a drainage opening at the bottom.

These brackets rest directly below the ends of the awnings, where the awnings act like rain gutters collecting water and channeling it down over the support arm brackets. Highly vulnerable area. We found a large amount of moisture in the plywood subfloor directly below the front bracket.

The other leaks were at the lower entry door hinge and a rear window corner where the window lock was too loose. We paid for the leak test but they fixed leaks under warranty without question.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Due to a brief weather interruption (blizzard) and sub zero temperatures, the factory is closed today, so hope it will be open tomorrow, 7 Jan. I-75 closed 4 miles north of here (Wapakoneta, Ohio) due to a big accident.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
As the week progressed after the severe winter storm, the trucks with the just in time inventory were not showing up with the goods due to the impassability of the roads in the upper Midwest. The lack of key parts for some trailers meant they were sidelined and others were started out of sequence to keep the folks working.

Thursday, I discovered differences in the trailer as compared to our change order and they were quickly corrected that same day.

My trailer has made multiple trips to the paint and awning building and as of Friday night, the "A" frame was painted and it had the two street side and the rear awnings completely installed, but the long curb side awning (manual operation) was MIA with only the middle support rod installed and the bead channel on the roof to which the awning material is attached.

The big deal Friday was that nearly all of the Hickory wood parts were installed along with the kitchen counter top. With the floor, wall and ceiling covering completed and some of the valances and drapes installed, it looks like our trailer we visualized rather than a semi tailer with windows. I saw the standard microwave and propane cooktop/oven sitting on a cart at the front of the trailer and they were probably installed later in the afternoon.

I think that the interior installation could be completed by Monday afternoon and that testing of the water, propane and electrical systems will be underway when I get there.

If the curbside awning appears, then the unit might be completed Tuesday, or Wednesday at the latest.

After passing QC and getting weighted at the scales, then the paper work is finalized and a "hotshot" shows up to tow the unit to the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3540_small.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	203390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547_small.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	203391  

Name:	IMG_3560.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	203392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3562_small.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	203393  

Name:	IMG_3563_small.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	203394  

Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #23
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Switz,

Looking good. That Hickory is pretty neat.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As always, look forward to more.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
My entire trailer was MIA today in the assembly building. It's number has been removed from the storage space beside the line assigned for the interior furniture and wall components. That should mean all those parts are at least inside the trailer, if not permanently attached.

The unit is still awaiting the curb side awning, a sofa side storage cover and one other item. A foreman was actually clueless where it might be on the Airstream Campus!

I saw trucks are coming in regularly today so they are starting to work on the missing inventory from the snow storm.

I saw one unit on I-70 West bound about 20 miles west of Dayton. Saw another unit with the new white entire front end shipping bra just West of Jackson Center and two similarly attired units at the fuel station by the factory entrance with hotrodders attached ready to take the two units to a dealership somewhere.

The guide today mentioned they are trying to push production up to 53 units per week with over a 1,000 units on backorder. That means that the rest of the 2014 production must be basically committed to the dealers. The Classics are still the time hog, whereas a Bambi can squirt right out there.

I am hoping mine could be on the road Wednesday as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Hopefully the find it and get it done for you tomorrow. The pics look great and I'm jealous that you have been able to be there every day while it is getting built.

I'm still wondering how you got Airstream on board with doing the Int Serenity floor in your unit. I spoke with my dealer and folks at Airstream several times about doing the Serenity floor when my International Signature was built in early spring last year. Even though I was willing to pay any up charge along with the $500 special order fee they were adamant about not doing a flooring change.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Well, the factory is now closed for the week with no news update this afternoon.

Our unit is still outside behind the scales building to the immediate West of the Airstream assembly building in the penalty box awaiting parts. The curb side awning was on when I saw the unit late Wednesday afternoon before flying back to Arizona on Thursday. The television rigid metal mounting bracket, the two upholstered arms that are the lids for the storage on either side of the sofa and the day-night blinds for the 30" wide windows have yet to show up.

The last photo shows a set of Good Year Marathons and wheels that will be for sale in the near future with 2,050 miles on them, the distance from Jackson Center to the dealerships and then to our storage area where I will install the freshly mounted 16" Michelins on SenDel rims.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3578-Quick Preset_720x540.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	203791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3579-Quick Preset_540x720.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	203792  

Name:	IMG_3580-Quick Preset_720x540.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	203793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3582-Quick Preset_720x540.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	203794  

Name:	IMG_3583-Quick Preset_720x540.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	203795  

Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Looking Good!!!!

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 classic