Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Grab bar light not working

I posted this last week under doors and windows and didn't get a response so I thought I might throw it out here to other classic owners. If this is a major faux pas I apologize!

Here is the original post:

I looked through threads and did a quick Google search but found no answer so let me query the Forum Brain Trust for help in solving this first-world problem:

Our lighted grab bar near the front door won't light up anymore.

Checked the fuses and all are in working order. It appears as though the handle can be removed with a Philips screwdriver. So maybe there is a LED light in there that has gone out?

Any of you had this problem?

Susan
Indianapolis, IN
SusanFleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi - sorry, I don't have a lighted grab bar. Does either the scare light or stair light switch need to be on for it to operate? If not, I suppose you could check the LED and swap it out.

Wish I had more to offer!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Susan,

Mine went out 2 weeks ago. We though it was because of the rain. We had some water continuously seeping out of the lower mount. Both, lower and upper gaskets are dry rotted and cracked.

Yes, there are 6 corse threaded screws and it will come off. Barring the Acrylr underneath and the tech's ability to control the application thereof.

I disassembled it today and found that both mounts are the same. But just the upper mount is wired to power. But both mounts have 2 LED's in them with wires. So they could be interchangeable and idiot proof on the line. The LED's are just glued inside the mounts. Be careful if you take it apart, the acrylic clear bar will fall out of the mounts. Don't ask....

I cleaned as much as I could and could not find anything wrong with wires or LED chips.
So I put it all back together with bad gasket and all. What else could I do, I don't have any spare gaskets in my back pocket. So I assume it will continue to trap water and seep out. In the daylight, it looks still not to be working. Bummer....

Also I noticed that 3 of the 6 screws were loose, well, not only loose but striped, so they do not tighten anymore. And it is going to be a bear to fix at the factory..... Once a hole is there it can only get bigger....
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Susan,

We also noted that our door bell went out also. They might share the same power, don't know, check yours.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Susan, I have never seen a light on our 12 classic. Our doorbell is battery powered and I don't believe connected to the door grab bar. I'll be back to the trailer next week before going to Sugarcreek.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Susan,

<snip>
Also I noticed that 3 of the 6 screws were loose, well, not only loose but striped, so they do not tighten anymore. And it is going to be a bear to fix at the factory..... Once a hole is there it can only get bigger....
The best fix might well be Riv-Nuts.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thank you all for your thoughts.

Sphere Guy our seals seem to be tight and I don't think that's our problem. Also, the doorbell is operated by batteries. Initially we had trouble with he batteries jarring loose during travel but we've fixed that by tightening up the connections a bit. Sorry about the acrylic bar falling out. I hope it didn't shatter!

I don't think an LED went out because I doubt all four of them would have gone out at once.

What we are thinking, and we will check it this weekend and report back, is that perhaps the wires are bundled with some that run under the sink. We have put towels on the ledge just above the silverware drawers and perhaps we pulled something loose. That is where we will start.

Tater probably the lighted acrylic door handles were added after the 2012 Classics?

drboyd good idea about the Riv-Nuts. Hopefully we won't need them as ours are not stripped. Yet. Still good to know in case that ever happens.

Thanks everyone! I will report in after the weekend.
Indianapolis, IN
Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Looking forward to your report.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Susan,

Sorry if I wasn't clearer on the LED's. Only the top LED'S are wired. I think there are 2 or 3 LED chips there.

And, no, the acrylic handle did not shatter, Whew.... I thought it was held in the holder somehow, but know better now.

I will check my door bell batteries.. Funny I didn't "hear" the earlier comments as to such.

I will also check the wires behind the under sink drawers.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Smile Door bell

Yup,

Checked the door bell. The bottom 2 batteries had fallen out and 1 on top was almost out.

Thanks for the advisement all...
Old 09-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Turns out the little strip of LEDs must have gone out. We checked the wiring and took apart the switches. Everything looked fine. Took apart the door handle and us d a voltage meter to determine there was electricity to the strip of three LEDs. I guess the next course of action is to order a strip of LEDs. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474147937.367216.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	271837

Thanks everyone for your comments.

PS-Anyone know why the patio and bulkhead lights are on the same switch?
Indianapolis, IN
Old 09-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Sphere Guy I'm glad your handle didn't shatter. Your advice to be careful about dropping the handle was Helpful!
Indianapolis, IN
Old 09-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Susan,

Glad the tip helped.

Have you tried to reverse the top mount with the bottom? Mine has LED's there as well.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I guess that was the only place to place the over front cabinet valance light switch.

But yet, I guess that the switch bank doesn't come with 4 switches or not enough room in the sink cabinet, cause the auto awning switch is like the old style toggles. Black, yuk.

they should have at least matched the style.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post

Have you tried to reverse the top mount with the bottom? Mine has LED's there as well.
Sphere Guy do you mean your grab bar had LEDs on top and bottom?
Indianapolis, IN
Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
My doorbell batteries are always bouncing around. I have to reinstall them after every trip.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Yes, see post #3, par 3. At least mine does. But not wired to power.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Russia , Ohio
Grab bar LEDs

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the 3 leds in my grab bar? They are blue and not working. I have power to them but they are not working.

Thanks
Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lander , Wyoming
I'm having same problem. Light went out on the grab bar. The light is an LED strip located in the top bracket. Simple to change, if we could find a replacement. I checked with LED4RV site but did not find a replacement listed. I'll check with Airstream and let you know if they respond.
funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Russia , Ohio
I have the same year and model Airstream. The led strip went out on mine last year. I live close to Jackson Center and went up there for parts. They no longer carried the strip but have a replacement. It is a single button style light. I pulled the strip light out (they are glued in) and used two sided tape to secure the new light. I also replaced the dry rotted gaskets on the handle.
Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote