Old 08-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Cut Off is usually the frequency at which the speaker crossover begins to deemphasize signal components. Subs should not amplify higher frequencies they weren't designed for but the crossover point also depends on the capabilities of the other speakers in the system. If the crossover point is too low some frequencies of the program may not be heard or would be incorrectly deemphasized because the midrange speakers may roll off lower frequencies too much.

My sub is installed under a dinette bench with the volume and cut off out-of-reach so fine tuning would be time consuming and probably not worth the trouble. I really don't expect high quality audio form this system. If that were really important to me in the Airstream I would probably get a Bose player of some sort...but the system in my Ford rocks!

What I would really like is a headphone jack in the radio, but no luck there either.

BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2012 19' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Does anyone have a reasonable, i.e., easy to operate, replacement for the Sony and Clarion units?

StillRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I have looked at our Clarion (which I hate) and plan to upgrade at some point. It is a single din chassis and you can replace with any model you want as long as it has the same feature set as currently (or you will lose functions). You want to look for Bluetooth, subwoofer output, an IR remote function, aux inputs - you could also cut the hole larger and put a double din chassis in with not much more work than a larger hole. If you purchase from somewhere like Cruchfield you will get wiring diagrams and help over the phone if you need it. I like the double din chassis because you can get a nice large touch screen and almost not need a remote to do everything. Plus the menu system is much better laid out for you to do things such as fade and increase sub volume.

I like the Kenwood and JVC double DIN models and have had good luck over the years with Alpine. I will also replace the clarion speakers and take a look at a custom sub
You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds":

TV: 2013 Ford Raptor SVT
Build Page:
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Clarion M502 in 2015 models replacement

When someone does get a good substitute, let me know. I doubt the actual sound will change much unless one does the following.

1) Change the speakers as follows: Remove the Clarion speakers near the front of the trailer, replace these on the vertical face of the overhead, but thoroughly pack the area behind the speaker with a closed cell foam. I am using a Polk Audio replacement.

2) Change the head unit and subwoofer, the sub could be Bluetooth, and powered up only when a signal is received from the head unit.

3) In rear of trailer, remove the current speakers, patch the holes with aluminum after fishing wires to locations in the ceiling so a stereo sound stage is created when in the bed. Under the new mounting areas a firm mount needs to be created, I think this can be done with a very thick closed cell foam, lots of silicone sealer. Possibly, mounting a 3/4 inch plywood panel behind the aluminum would be beneficial. (Done in two pieces)

So, what is the head unit and matching sub....maybe $400 - 600 plus. Speakers about $200-400. Labor at a shop might be as much as $500.

It requires a lot of work to get sound in the aluminum box, avoiding resonance frequencies is a potential challenge.

And, the television sound, I am planning on using a sound bar under the TV in the main room. This of course after I move the television up about 12-18 inches.

Please understand I am a bit OCD with sound systems even if I am so old I can't hear the difference...LOL

However, at present, the Clarion is adequate for the absolutely inadequately engineered speaker system. IMO, the individual responsible at Airstream for the audio system has no knowledge of acoustical engineering, is making decisions only on an economic basis.

Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote