Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Check your smoke alarm!

I was doing some work inside my trailer today and decided to check the smoke alarm. I pressed the test button and nothing happened. What's going on...

So I open the cap and there's a plastic sleeve between the battery contacts and the alarm. The dealer or AS forgot to remove the sleeve and activate the smoke detector.

I've gone a whole year now with the smoke detector non-operational. So folks, test your smoke alarms and make sure they're functional at all times.

ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Thanks for the safety tip. I will check ours the next time I am in the camper.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Very good advice. I know ours works. It went off the first time we used the toaster - it was set a little too dark.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I pulled the battery on mine. Too many nuisance alarms, whenever we cook or boil water for tea. I am not sure what it is supposed to protect me from. I sleep lightly enough that if my electrical wiring fried at night, I would know it and nothing else is running.
Larry
Old 02-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I call our smoke detector the "Dinner's Ready Alarm".
I have moved it from the kitchen area, where it would go off if I burned a piece of toast, into the bedroom area, where it will go off if there is a problem while we are sleeping.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Terry, that location makes a lot more sense. I will have to investigate how mine is mounted to the ceiling. At least my CO detector is in the bedroom.
Larry
Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Terry, that location makes a lot more sense. I will have to investigate how mine is mounted to the ceiling. At least my CO detector is in the bedroom.
Larry
Larry, it is mounted using a pair of small screws. Simply remove the screws, relocate the alarm, and place a pair of 1/8" aluminum rivets in the former mounting holes. You may have to enlarge the holes with a #30 bit to get rivets to go in. You could use screws back in the holes, but rivets look better.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I call our smoke detector the "Dinner's Ready Alarm".
I have moved it from the kitchen area, where it would go off if I burned a piece of toast, into the bedroom area, where it will go off if there is a problem while we are sleeping.
The dinner bell.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Batteries should be replaced in the rv and home every year. Too bad the dealer didn't do his job, but blocking off the battery is common practice to keep it from being depleted. I check mine before every trip out. Good camping!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I pulled the battery on mine. Too many nuisance alarms, whenever we cook or boil water for tea. I am not sure what it is supposed to protect me from. I sleep lightly enough that if my electrical wiring fried at night, I would know it and nothing else is running.
Larry
I agree that it is pretty much impossible to live sanely in a small trailer or MH with a conventional stick-and-brick smoke detector. They go off in the confined space if someone so much as sneezes.

Here is one alternate suggestion that has worked for me (so far): Rather than disabling it entirely, put a piece of sheet magnet on the back and stick it to a magnetic vertical surface (I have magnetic MH door frames, refrigerator front panel, plus an organizer board that is magnetic). Then when you need to cook, take it down and toss it in a drawer or in my case, glove box, so that cooking smoke won't be able to reach it. Then slap it back up again when you are done with the stove.

It's much easier to use a magnet than to be removing it from the wall mount and taking the battery out at every single meal. And then stashing the pieces somewhere, possibly never to be reassembled again. That's what I was doing previously and it was way too much of a hassle.

I put the sheet magnet piece on the back of mine in a way that left the battery compartment accessible:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160202.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	257187  
Old 02-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rather than move the alarm, get a brightly colored shower cap and put it over the alarm when cooking. The bright color (and general ugliness of shower caps) will remind you to pull it down.

You could even so a streamer that hangs down and gets in your way until you get in the routine habit of pulling it back off the alarm.

Paula
Old 02-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Paula that is the most brilliant response to a smoke detector issue I have EVER heard!!!!!!!!

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
My new smoke alarms from Lowes have an orange bonnet included so it can be covered for new construction dust. Remember they should be replaced in your home every 10 years. AEW
Old 02-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I like the idea of moving the ionization smoke detector to the bedroom. But instead of covering the mounting holes with rivets, one could add a photoelectric smoke alarm in the living area. They are not as sensitive as the ionization type, and rarely give false alarms. Which means they are not as good, but this one would just be a back-up anyway.