Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Boondocking in a Classic 30'?

Are there any folks that would share their experience off the beaten track with these larger trailers? Has the weight been an issue going off the paved roads?

Have there been access issues to the parks in the Western states?

We are contemplating instead of going from a two foot increment trailer size to the largest one and bypass one size in the "longer trailer" process.

While we like both the 30' International Serenity and the Classic 30, it appears the Classic has more storage and we like the tables by the sofa. The "open" bathroom is a small issue for my wife.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have never had a problem, but we haven't been out west yet. I just asked my niece who is from Washington state about State and national parks out there. She does a lot of camping and said she didn't see why we should have a problem because she sees lots of "ginormous" motor homes and fifth wheels.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
In general you will not have any problems unless you find a Forest Service Campground on a really remote location road. I can only think of one or two of them that I have been in which would not accommodate a 30' AS, and I boondock almost exclusively. Loop turning radius at the end of a leg of a FS campground sometimes can be tight, and you have to be a bit careful swinging wide, so the trailer will follow you around.

Most FS campgrounds, and virtually all State Park campgrounds will allow you good setups. Now, if you wish to really boondock with no campground at all, all bets are off, as any size rig can get into trouble just pulling off a dirt side road which turns out to have no turn around.

Again, I can think of almost no place I have been with my 20' that you could not go with a 30'. Now, one night after dark when pulling through a loop in a remote Montana FS campground I did have to ask a very drunk camper to move his truck which he had parked half way into the main loop road so I could get by him. Then when I found a spot for myself, backing into it after dark was an issue. Neither would have changed with a 30' though, same problems for either.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Are there any folks that would share their experience off the beaten track with these larger trailers? Has the weight been an issue going off the paved roads?
Width and ground clearance are the main limitations. In general I don't try to take my 30' into the back country because of ground clearance. It's one of the reasons I also have a truck camper.

Quote:
Have there been access issues to the parks in the Western states?
Can't help you there but in Minnesota and surrounding states we haven't had a problem.

Quote:
While we like both the 30' International Serenity and the Classic 30, it appears the Classic has more storage and we like the tables by the sofa. The "open" bathroom is a small issue for my wife.
The 31' classic is the same length, similar floorplan, and has the other style of bathroom, where the toilet and shower are on the same side and there's an aisle next to them so you can get to the bedroom without walking through. So see if you can find one of those.

The classic has a number of boondocking-friendly features that the international lacks. Among them, fluorescent lights that draw less power than the halogens, a bathroom sink that is of a size and shape that you can wash clothes, and a larger amount of usable, well-partitioned indoor storage.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Width and ground clearance are the main limitations. In general I don't try to take my 30' into the back country because of ground clearance. It's one of the reasons I also have a truck camper. Can't help you there but in Minnesota and surrounding states we haven't had a problem. The 31' classic is the same length, similar floorplan, and has the other style of bathroom, where the toilet and shower are on the same side and there's an aisle next to them so you can get to the bedroom without walking through. So see if you can find one of those. The classic has a number of boondocking-friendly features that the international lacks. Among them, fluorescent lights that draw less power than the halogens, a bathroom sink that is of a size and shape that you can wash clothes, and a larger amount of usable, well-partitioned indoor storage.
Re: Western States State Parks. When we picked up our new 31' Classic in Fairfield CA I spoke with another customer who said Sate CA parks only take trailers up to 25". His father was a Park Ranger for 30 years and he was buying a 25' so he could continue stays at CA State Parks.
bretharte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Most of the spaces we frequent would be VERY challenging for a 30' ... we are out West and have 54 days out so far this season boondocking (generator power / water carried on board) with one more weekend before we put Eddie into storage. As an NPS ranger, I saw many folks who really had their hands full with a 25 and can't imagine trying to shoehorn/maneuver/backup/turn around in a 30'. Great for luxury, but boondocking ... not so much !!!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Boondocking vs. Off-Roading

We have done lots of boondocking in our Classic 30 since we got it three years ago, and before that our Sovereign 31. If you define Boondocking as camping without hookups.
We have found it easy to get in and out of state parks and BLM recreation areas in NM, AZ, and UT.

That said I would never take the Airstream backwoods camping over National Forest Service roads. As Jammer mentioned, the real issue is clearance, and the clearance is very limited with that overhang from rear axle to rear bumper on a 30' or 31'. But then I didn't take my 25' into the National Forests even though it had better clearance and smaller turn radius. I just didn't want to get it all scratched up by overhanging trees and bushes.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am gaining 0.45" more ground clearance with the 16" tire and wheel conversion.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 classic