Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I continue to shake my head at the ongoing shower door issue. What they come up with is a "work around" for a very, very poor design. The shower door is basically suspended from the top of the door by a cheap, about 3/4 inch screw that inevitably breaks. While the door may work in a static location (like your house!), the ongoing motion of a trailer on the move creates enough stress to either work the screw loose, or just break it off. The solution is a sturdier hinge mechanism. I solved this problem in my '12 28' International with a Sterling shower door that uses as pivot mechanism. I fully expect that at some point, I'll be spending around $140 for a similar door for my '15 Classic. Any decent process engineer would have analyzed all the shower door defects and fixed this years ago. The disconnect between those who REPAIR and those who MANUFACTURE is hard to believe.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #22
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Is there a thread about a before and after of these various fixes for the door? I'm not sure if my '07 has the same design
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Being a car enthusiast, I'm reading this thread in disbelief. Only if Airstream had half the QC of car companies... We bought our last 2 cars new and in 9 years (total) of ownership and over 100K miles, we have had to do a grand total of 1 repair (knock on wood).

Its ridiculous for owners of a $100K+ trailer to have to travel half way around the country, repeatedly, to have these well documented and chronic issues fixed. Based on what I have read on this forum, these QC issues were there 5 years ago, 10 years ago and even before. Airstreams of the 70's and 80's had the rear separation/sag issues. I can venture a guess that QC has been absent since Wally passed. Only if Airstream followed his motto: "Let's not make changes only improvements".
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Being a car enthusiast, I'm reading this thread in disbelief. Only if Airstream had half the QC of car companies... We bought our last 2 cars new and in 9 years (total) of ownership and over 100K miles, we have had to do a grand total of 1 repair (knock on wood).

Its ridiculous for owners of a $100K+ trailer to have to travel half way around the country, repeatedly, to have these well documented and chronic issues fixed. Based on what I have read on this forum, these QC issues were there 5 years ago, 10 years ago and even before. Airstreams of the 70's and 80's had the rear separation/sag issues. I can venture a guess that QC has been absent since Wally passed. Only if Airstream followed his motto: "Let's not make changes only improvements".
You said it! I agree 100%
Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke
A few custom touches that I had added turned out to be a little more involved than we expected, but all in all everything went well.
Care to tell us what custom touches you added? I'm always looking for new ideas!
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
A few custom touches that I had added turned out to be a little more involved than we expected, but all in all everything went well.
Care to tell us what custom touches you added? I'm always looking for new ideas!
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
One reason I am so devoted to my Tundra and Toyota as a whole is that in 8 years of ownership I have only done 2 maintenance items outside of oil changes and tire rotations- 1 accessory drive belt and 1 set of tires- still routine maintenance-
No RV manufacturer makes an RV that good.
My biggest take-away from the factory tour was the junk, clutter, and lack of organization- extension cords, air hoses, and parts strewn all about all over the floor to the point that the people taking the tour literally have to step over and around- tight, cramped spaces-
Airstream is obviously not ISO 9,000 certified.
I have toured the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY and it was pristine.
I have worked in many plants and mills that were very organized, from fork lift manufacturers to clothing manufacturers to a hair jelly factory and they were all pristine.
We need to bring them boys on down to Mississippi to show them how to straighten/organize a factory/warehouse!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Back From Jackson Center!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minipad View Post
I had this problem with my 2013. I didn't want to mess with going to the dealer or JC so I fixed it as follows:

1) Cut a piece of 1/2" white pex to the width of the door opening, from the hinge to the opposite side.

2) Drilled four 1/4" holes through just one side of the pex and all in a line, spaced evenly over the length.

3) Placed the pex across the bottom of the door opening with the holes up and mounted it with some stainless screws by drilling/screwing straight down through the 1/4" holes in the pex.

4) Removed the whimpy piece of weather striping from the bottom of the door.

Now when the door closes, the bottom of the door is entirely supported on the pex. It actually leaks less than it did before (from shower spray or splashing) and after many miles, no more shower door problems. When the door is open, it also is supported by the pex because the pex is placed right up against the hinge pin. The piece of white pex is barely noticeable.

This is very interesting. Would it be possible to post a couple pictures of what you have done

Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Jackson Center fixed our shower door perfectly. I do not even know what they did.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Great Idea

Quote:
I had this problem with my 2013. I didn't want to mess with going to the dealer or JC so I fixed it as follows:

1) Cut a piece of 1/2" white pex to the width of the door opening, from the hinge to the opposite side.

2) Drilled four 1/4" holes through just one side of the pex and all in a line, spaced evenly over the length.

3) Placed the pex across the bottom of the door opening with the holes up and mounted it with some stainless screws by drilling/screwing straight down through the 1/4" holes in the pex.

4) Removed the whimpy piece of weather striping from the bottom of the door.

Now when the door closes, the bottom of the door is entirely supported on the pex. It actually leaks less than it did before (from shower spray or splashing) and after many miles, no more shower door problems. When the door is open, it also is supported by the pex because the pex is placed right up against the hinge pin. The piece of white pex is barely noticeable.
Nice! I'll think I'll do the same thing except I'll us a flexible adhesive, like a clear silicon, to secure the PEX to the sill so there is no chance of water getting under the sill through the screws. Thanks for the tip.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Top Secret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
My mods are top secret, that is until I get my patents. LOL. Just kidding. When I parked at the terra port, there was a couple there in a new 16 Classic like mine and immediately they came over and started noticing some of the mods that I had already done myself. Asking lots of questions, which I didn't mind at all. The two custom touches that I had the guys at service do was to make a cherry frame and box for the kitchen window and mount a matching day-night shade in it. My wife and I both hated the cheap "plastic" frame and the roller shade. Now everything matches and looks so much nicer. The other touch was to have a stainless steel cover riveted over the top of the painted rear bumper storage lid. It has "Airstream" laser etched on it and they also installed it with the "bucked rivets" so that it matches everything else. I had already installed the stainless "A-frame" protectors. I am trying to cover as much paint with stainless as possible....so much nicer looking and it doesn't chip and rust like paint.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanzer View Post
What is Whit Pex? Were can I purchase some.
PEX is plastic water pipe but a newer style than the PVC which has been used for a long time. You can get PEX at most big box hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). Although, most of them sell red and blue colored pipe to denote hot and cold water. White PEX may take a bit of searching. I found some at my local Lowes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrms View Post
I'll think I'll do the same thing except I'll us a flexible adhesive, like a clear silicon, to secure the PEX to the sill so there is no chance of water getting under the sill through the screws.
I hear you, but since the PEX will be constantly be pushed at and scraped by the door bottom when it is being closed, I doubt an adhesive on its own would hold it in place on the sill for any length of time. In this instance, a mechanical attachment (screw) is the most robust. Plus, when the door is closed, it covers the screw holes.

However, you may want to consider removing the screws after the initial installation and apply some sealer to the screws and holes in the sill as well as the screw heads inside the PEX before installing the PEX assembly permanently. If you do use a silicone, make sure it is one which will not attack aluminum.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
Shower Door Fix with Pex

The pictures as requested:
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #34
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just a caution Duke, My trailer had the stainless "A" frame covers. When I removed them there was quite a bit of rust underneath. I chose to remove them and re-paint with matching paint so plan to remove them down the road and clean things up. It seems they allow enough water to get between the SS and the frame.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
The pictures as requested:

?? No pictures

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was at the factory every day they were building our 2014 Classic model 30 in January 2014. A list of visible quality control issues that I and members of the tour group saw were written into a list I personally gave to the QC supervisor before I left the factory.

One day, I found they had installed the wrong linoleum after walls and the bathroom cabinet was in place. They had also failed to install the aluminum bathroom backsplash. I was soon in the foreman's office and they were looking for the change order since it was not included in the shop floor order. The dealer dropped the ball with no follow though to ensure the approved change order was included. Fortunately, I had a copy of the signed off and approved change order on my laptop in the customer lounge that I emailed to the Supervisor.

So the walls and bathroom cabinets had to be removed and the flooring replaced with the approved stock material. This created some employee issues as the flooring was not really installed properly and we replaced it later with Marmoleum on our nickel.

I was at the dealership 15 minutes after the trailer arrived. None of the issues were corrected before being released from production. And there were many new issues created during the fast drive to the dealership.(I knew what time the truck left the contract towing company location in Jackson Center and when it arrive at the dealership and no grass grew under the wheels.

Having had some issues with the local service department, I elected to get all the issues taken care of properly at a third party Vintage Airstream restorer who could also do warranty work along with the customizations. The work was with upgraded components so the issues would not reappear a few weeks or months later. We paid for all the repairs to be done properly.

The new 2015 23D International Serenity was delivered with both minor and significant issues that neither the dealership nor the factory corrected. An example is the plastic protective film still on the aluminum wall beside the bed - the factory put a mattress on the bed frame and the dealer put the mattress cover on the mattress with the film wadded up on the wall. The shower was not installed properly with a large gap by the door through which water would run directly down to the floor. The rubber pumpers of the bathroom door were installed on the wrong side. An awning in one of the eye brow windows above the dinette had a broken string so would not operate. I guess Airstream was not too proud of the trailer as they even failed to put the word "AIRSTREAM" above the rear factory installed awning. How could the dealer miss that? Every other Airstream on their lot had the brand name on the rear and they had lots of units there.

So I took the 23D to the same third party facility to get repairs done and many modifications installed.

So if the QC at the factory is poor and the PDI at the dealership is not done properly, the customer gets shafted. Return trips are not free due to the considerable travel expenses involved with going to JC or to a dealership. The dealer gets more money for chargeable warranty work than doing their PDI throughly and taking care of issues when found.

If the trailer is financed, then payments are being made on a non-useable vehicle while repairs are done that should have been taken care of before delivery.

As the top model Airstream trailer is now equal to or more than $150,000, most folks would have the expectation that for that much money there would absolutely no issues. Between the factory and the dealership PDI, all the factory glitches would be completely taken care of before delivery.

I wish that was true for all their new production models as none are chump change.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote