Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Air Conditioning in the FC23

I understand that some A/C units work hard to cool some Airstream trailers, especially in hot & humid places. However, will the newer A/C units in the FC23 be effective in the hot & humid places summers since it is a smaller trailer? Or will they run long hours to cool and never really cool the trailer? We'd be grateful for information from those with a 23' Airstream.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator: Please move to Flying Cloud. I made a mistake placing it here. Thank you.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
We had a 2011, and the A/C is marginal in warm/hot locations.

Of course you can partition the bedroom with the accordion door, but without do so, if you're in temps of 95 plus it will never get much over 80° inside.

Shade helps but…

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We have sort of the reverse problem. We have a Sport 22FB, which is a foot shorter than your rig. 13,500 BTU A/C. Our problem is humidity. The A/C actually seems a bit over-sized, so at night it "short cycles" allowing humidity to build up. I bought a dehumidifier, but while it pulls out moisture, I think it is just too small. During the day, with 90+ degree days, we can get the inside temperature down into the 60s. I am experimenting with leaving the roof vent open some to try and "trick" the A/C into running longer and thus dehumidifying better overnight. I still have not found the "sweet spot" however.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My 2006 23 has relatively new AC about one year old installed by Jackson Center. I believe it is the same unit that is currently installed on new trailers. Current outside temp is 99 and max humidity. I am parked in direct sun. Inside temp is 77. That is a very comfortable temp for me. It would easily cool the trailer down if required. Unit is cycling about every 20 minutes. Everyone has a different comfort and tolerance level.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Our 22' SS does fine in direct sunlight with 105º. We keep the temperature setting at 1/3, low fan and it maintains 76º-78º with minimal cycing. If we leave with the AC off it only takes 6 or 7 minutes to cool down when we return. Of coarse we don't have the humidity of the deep south or the numerous windows of other units. I have to say our's has exceeded our expectation in every respect.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pace , Florida
We have a 2015 FC23FB. THe A/C seems to handle the Florida heat and humidity quite well. Admittedly, the A/C is on quite a bit during the hotter parts of the day.

Good Luck!
JKSophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
We have sort of the reverse problem. We have a Sport 22FB, which is a foot shorter than your rig. 13,500 BTU A/C. Our problem is humidity. The A/C actually seems a bit over-sized, so at night it "short cycles" allowing humidity to build up. I bought a dehumidifier, but while it pulls out moisture, I think it is just too small. During the day, with 90+ degree days, we can get the inside temperature down into the 60s. I am experimenting with leaving the roof vent open some to try and "trick" the A/C into running longer and thus dehumidifying better overnight. I still have not found the "sweet spot" however.
Yep, that is the problem when you go with a one size fits all solution. Unfortunately our trailers are not insulated as well as our homes and the climate that you travel in has a great deal of effect on the inside climate. Quite honestly if you travel is in the cooler climates of the country, the standard sized air conditioner for your model of trailer may be too big. Likewise it might be too small if you are in hot full sun climates.

I took the approach that I'd rather be oversized and deal with short run times and some humidity, than being short cooling. I've lived both and I felt that dealing with the hot temps would be more advantageous. With that in mind I upgraded the cooling in my Classic from the standard 13.5 unit (which was standard at the time), to the optional 15K unit. It ended up being a very wise choice and Ive had no regrets.

For anyone purchasing new, I'd strongly recommend thinking the air conditioner through carefully. Don't take the trailer on the lot if you think the air conditioner isn't going to perform for you based on the climate and camping facilities that you use.

Also note that awnings can make a difference and if you have a patio only awning, consider additionals to keep that sun exposure to a minimum. Sometimes a longer awning covering a trailer with mostly aluminum exposed can assist in keeping indoor temperatures down. My Safari had a long street side awning even though it had two small windows on the street side. I added that awning after an ill fated first trip in 104 degree full sun. The trailer could only hold 86-88 degrees during the hottest time of the day. The awning turned that around and I never had issues again.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote