Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
2017 Classic owners

I am anxious to hear from the 2017 Classic owners that will come before me. Ours will not be done until September or October. My questions so far- Is storage space a problem. With, from what I can see, no outside storage space except for the "trunk". I think the heating wrapped around the outer walls eliminated any other space and the drawer under one dinette seat. I know there is one added under the sink. I don't know why but the drawer under the couch is gone also. Also, the heating system in general.
Just curious about what I should be looking for in general.
We will be taking long trips in it eventually but no real full timing and will have the truck bed for storage.
Excited but still nervous that we did the right thing. I am having a hard time getting past the...we should have just got the 2016 on the lot, feeling.

Brenda
BetterNowlinLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterNowlinLater View Post
I am anxious to hear from the 2017 Classic owners that will come before me. Ours will not be done until September or October. My questions so far- Is storage space a problem. With, from what I can see, no outside storage space except for the "trunk". I think the heating wrapped around the outer walls eliminated any other space and the drawer under one dinette seat. I know there is one added under the sink. I don't know why but the drawer under the couch is gone also. Also, the heating system in general.
We will be taking long trips in it eventually but no real full timing and will have the truck bed for storage.
Excited but still nervous that we did the right thing. I am having a hard time getting past the...we should have just got the 2016 on the lot, feeling.

Brenda
Brenda, this is what I know so far after studying the changes from 2016 to 2017.

1. So far, only the queen setup has been shown. Which did you order, queen or twin? The queen has always only had one exterior storage compartment. It's pretty obvious that the radiant heating in the bedroom with queen works out quite well, just a bit of foot room lost around the walls.
The question is the twin. Does the heating radiators round the bedroom walls eliminate the exterior side compartments (one of my favorite features of my 2016 Classic twin)? Does it still have the storage compartments and they simply didn't put any radiators there, moved them up, or put more at the heads of the beds? It will be interesting to see.

2. Both the interior heating and hot water heating both come from the Alde unit under the front dinette seat. You gain a small storage area under the bathroom sink where the hot water heater was, and a small space under the kitchen sink where the forced air furnace was.
You lose the drawer under the front dinette seat, you lose the drawer under the sofa as the converter has been relocated there. They made the cupboard above the toilet smaller to fit the piping for the heated towel rack. You lose a little bit of kitchen counter space due to the air rising cutouts at the back. You lose the rear storage cubby at the head of the bed(s) and radiators are fitted there. So you lose some overall storage but gain a better heating system.
My biggest question is: will those electric tank heating pads be able to keep up in winter as much as the forces air circulation...

I do like some of the features of the 2017, but since I was installing some electric radiant heat and higher powered solar anyway, it lessened the sting of me getting a 2016 instead of a 2017 quite a bit (and quite a bit less cost too).

Patrick and colonial said the electric tank heaters certainly will not keep the tanks as warm as the forced air system in the winter. But most people don't camp in below freezing as I do..
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Hi and Thanks for the info.

We ordered the queen. I have just been looking through every dealer's photos that are posted. (more every time I look) What I now see is there are still 2 small storage cubbies on the under-sides of the trailer. That makes me feel better that I at least have space for the fresh water hoses and power cord. I guess I was just having a little panic that I could have had the 2016 for much less. I am feeling better now that I see more photos. I did notice a few shots of a twin and thought I saw outside storage on either side that would be under the beds. We also plan to camp in cold but I don't think my husband (the one from Tx) would be happy under freezing for too long.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Brenda, did you go with the Maple or the Cherry? The AS site has maple pics up now (with Cherry comparison):

I actually like both very much.

As for storage cubbies, yes there are those really small exterior cubbies under the beltline for small stuff. You may fit a water hose in there, but I don't think you could get the 50 AMP cord in one.

I found some photo's of a 2017 twin. It does still have the side under-bed exterior access. It look's like they simply made the twin mattresses a little more narrow and installed fabric covered pipes/small radiators next to the mattresses.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
We ordered the cherry, chestnut/sandalwood. Both colors are very nice. Back in 2014 were looking to get a flying cloud. Then we went to see the "new" classics. I just wanted to see one. That was all it took. One look. We are now getting close enough to retirement to take the plunge. I did not think this day would ever get here.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Are the new "maple" cabinets actually maple? And, are they REAL wood cabinets and walls or are they chinzy plastic laminate with "hardwood" cabinet doors like the cherry version turned out to be?

(Remember, originally the cherry trailers were ALL real cherry veneer EVERYWHERE but was changed to save a massive amount of money and workmanship.)

I know the "cherry" cabinets aren't real wood anymore except for the "cherry stained hardwood" cabinet doors; the rest is plastic laminate...which is unthinkable in a trailer this expensive. Hopefully the "maple" versions are actually not only real wood EVERYWHERE but are also actually maple.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Are the new "maple" cabinets actually maple? And, are they REAL wood cabinets and walls or are they chinzy plastic laminate with "hardwood" cabinet doors like the cherry version turned out to be?

(Remember, originally the cherry trailers were ALL real cherry veneer EVERYWHERE but was changed to save a massive amount of money and workmanship.)

I know the "cherry" cabinets aren't real wood anymore except for the "cherry stained hardwood" cabinet doors; the rest is plastic laminate...which is unthinkable in a trailer this expensive. Hopefully the "maple" versions are actually not only real wood EVERYWHERE but are also actually maple.
We like that the large flat panels in our 2016 Classic are the laminate, because it looks good and is much more durable and easier to clean than the Cherry plywood used in the early 2015 Classics. We heard that many of the Cherry plywood panels were getting damaged and scrapped in the factory before installation causing the change to the laminate. That suggests the Cherry plywood would also be damage prone after in the customer hands. All of the cabinet doors and cabinet face frames and radiused wall corners are real Cherry.

Oh, and when we toured the factory in May, the 2017s were already on the line. I believe the maple flat panels are also laminate.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Plastic? The cabinets are veneer as far as I can tell, with solid wood doors. I'll check tomorrow as I did a hole cutout for some wires and it didn't cut/smell like plastic.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Plastic? The cabinets are veneer as far as I can tell, with solid wood doors. I'll check tomorrow as I did a hole cutout for some wires and it didn't cut/smell like plastic.
Hopefully the maple ones are real veneer, but only the first handful of the modern Classic trailers are real wood.

Cutting through laminate doesn't always smell like plastic. Laminate doors are less expensive than solid wood but known for their low maintenance. Laminate is a synthetic coating glued to the cabinet box and/or doors. Usually craft paper and resin fused with heat, but usually referred to as the broad term "plastic." A high-pressure laminate (HPL) is fused at a higher temperature and pressure, and lasts longer, than a low-pressure laminate (LPL). Who knows what Airstream replaced the real wood with...but it was for sure cheaper to produce than the acres of real cherry and real cherry veneers in those first trailers. They learned quick that they could sell all they could build, so the first thing to go was that beautiful real wood all over the place. In its place...the same type of laminate used on the furniture that you'll find in Kmart. Either make it ALL out of laminate (including the doors) to make it SUPPOSED to be fake wood as in the Pendleton or make it ALL out of real wood. Nothing looks or feels worse than the cost cutting of real wood doors on fake wood walls. Even the cheapest Thor and Forest River models have gotten away from that. It just SCREAMS "cheap."
Old 06-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Hopefully the maple ones are real veneer, but only the first handful of the modern Classic trailers are real wood.

Cutting through laminate doesn't always smell like plastic. Laminate doors are less expensive than solid wood but known for their low maintenance. Laminate is a synthetic coating glued to the cabinet box and/or doors. Usually craft paper and resin fused with heat, but usually referred to as the broad term "plastic." A high-pressure laminate (HPL) is fused at a higher temperature and pressure, and lasts longer, than a low-pressure laminate (LPL). Who knows what Airstream replaced the real wood with...but it was for sure cheaper to produce than the acres of real cherry and real cherry veneers in those first trailers. They learned quick that they could sell all they could build, so the first thing to go was that beautiful real wood all over the place. In its place...the same type of laminate used on the furniture that you'll find in Kmart. Either make it ALL out of laminate (including the doors) to make it SUPPOSED to be fake wood as in the Pendleton or make it ALL out of real wood. Nothing looks or feels worse than the cost cutting of real wood doors on fake wood walls. Even the cheapest Thor and Forest River models have gotten away from that. It just SCREAMS "cheap."
The laminate used on the Classic is in no way similar to the furnature from K-Mart. It is much nicer and higher quality. It does NOT scream "cheap". You of course are entitled to you own opinion.

On the other hand, there are several true "cheap" touches on the Classic that shouldn't be: cheap sky lights held on by double sided tape, bathroom mirror held on by double sided tape, cheap single stage converter charger, cheap noisy inverter, etc. These items might be OK for a Sport, but a Classic should get better.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Ya, one of the first things people complement when coming in my AS is the nice looking cabinets. The electronics are what AS really cheapened out on. Virtually all of the electrical components outside of appliances needs to eventually be replaced. The cabinets are fine.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
The cabinets are fine.
...but sadly not real veneer. Plastic laminate.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Being full time and knowing what the power is like in campgrounds all you 2017 owners better have a surge protector and a power booster. I run a Hughes power unit and then a progressive surge protector. My next step is the convertor/charger. My friend works on high end class A coaches and tells me about the problems with the touch controls I for one would never have them in mine and I am a RV tech and a master mechanic
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Sorry Brenda - we can't answer your question just yet but we're looking forward to replies as much as you are. :-) Just yesterday, we modified the build "order" for a Twin Bed Classic in Maple cabinets, Night Sky counters, Macadamia ultraleather and with the Solar package. Fortunately for us, the build was already in-progress and due for delivery to the dealer by the end of August; when we provided the down payment, Patrick (Colonial) sent the change request sheet to Airstream and gave us our VIN. We'll (hopefully?) get to pick her up the first week of September.

In response to beetlebob's power concern:
Quote:
Being full time and knowing what the power is like in campgrounds all you 2017 owners better have a surge protector and a power booster. I run a Hughes power unit and then a progressive surge protector.
I'm about to start a new thread to ask for pros/cons of power, so I'd appreciate it if you can share your knowledge...

Good luck with your new Airstream!

Take care,
Rich
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
RE: power in the Classic. IMHO, two group 27's are insufficient to guarantee an "event free" experience if you plan to be away from a 120V power source for more than a couple of days. Even with the Airstream's solar package (anemic, IMHO), and a lot of sunshine to recharge, the 12V consumers would make me nervous with the '17 version. I suppose you could NOT use these 12V features: recliners, awning, table, bed lift, stabilizers, etc. I have no clue what power the Aldi unit will take to heat your trailer (if you need it), or for providing 12V to the board that'll heat water. A bigger question for me would be the 12V "automatic" heating pads that keep the water/gray/black tanks from freezing. Last week at the International rally we had zero power for many hours -- and then an additional power outage one evening. FACT: if you don't have battery power in an Airstream (of any model), you are in trouble. For absolute certain, I would go nowhere without a generator or an assurance that I can get 120V into my trailer. If you own a Classic your first purchase should be a multi-stage converter/charger. The batteries in the newest Classics are going to get a considerable workout. Meanwhile, Airstream continues to "research" putting multi-stage chargers into their trailers. (I use the quotes as that's the exact word Rick March used last week.) Even at $135,000, Airstream can't seem to spring for a decent converter/charger that costs under $200. I put in a PowerMax PM4B 60 AMP Converter/Charger (4 stage) for $171.20. (No, I'm not going into adding the Magnum MSH 3012 Inverter unit..... or the 600W of solar panels!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
bernville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterNowlinLater View Post

Brenda
Hi Brenda i just got the classic with the new radiant heating system.Plenty of storage space.We have the twin beds.But as far as the new heating system goes,the heat works wonderful.Very even temperature.But the hot water system only gives you 2 minute shower.It is an issue airstream said they are working to resolve.It a gigantic problem.Can not get enough hot water to wash dishes.
jonathan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Something sounds way amiss if Airstream has installed a hot water system that can only provide 2 minutes of hot water. My guess is there's something amiss with the install. Let's hope.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wonder how loud the popping noise is when the heater turns on is. When the sun hits ours it sometimes sounds like someone is hitting the trailer. Makes you jump out of bed. Like Babs said earlier and since I am not near a store restrict the air coming out of the front 2 registers and the noise is lower and the temp in the back is better.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Well yikes, Jonathan. I hope that fix happens before ours is built and soon for yours. A daily "navy" shower was not in my plans for our dream trips.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Jonathon, thank you for your post. Before showering did you try the "shower" button on the Alde control? Just wondering if it makes much of a difference.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote