Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Babs hurry up and remove the couch and make a cabinet. I want to see. Couch is nice but 2 zero gravity recliners would be better
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Hughes first it has its own surge protector then progressive. Anything below 109 volts is bad on the A/C compressor. The Hughes is water resistant not proof so you need to keep it dry I use a barbecue grill cover. You can build them into the trailer also
I'll be installing both of the power units indoors. The thought of lugging, securing and covering those every camp setup and teardown is painful.

If the surge is big, wouldn't the hughes and the progressive get fried if the hughes is put before the progressive? If you put the progressive first, the progressive should be the only thing to get fried.

What would be the benefit of putting the hughes first? Even if put after the progressive, the Hughes is doing it's job. The progressive will also show the power from the pedestal before it gets to the Hughes, leaving me with higher situation awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Do not put stuff in the outside refrigerator compartment you need all the airflow you can get in there to cool the coils. I feel all evaporative units should come with the power fans in both inside and out for maximum performance. I saw a remarkable increase in the running of my frig after I added both
I hear you on air flow. I I guess if I do put electrical boxes in there I could make sure they don't interrupt the flow too much and also puts some 12v fans to help compensate. I think some electric boxes with a good fan would still be ahead of stock cooling.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
The progressive will shut down with low voltage so having the Hughes after it won't do any good if its getting no voltage. The Hughes also has its own surge protector so it will kick off before it is damaged by a over volt. The Hughes has lights on it to show if it is boosting and I have the 50 amp one it has lights for each leg. In one park one leg good the other low. Only going to get worse
Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Supposedly the Progressive doesn't shut down until 102v in normal mode, and 95v in bypass mode. I wonder if it would be wise to run the Hughes off any lower than those voltages anyway, since you would only be boosting to 112v and 104v respectively.

Another point is, if the Hughes has surge protection (although at a lower limit than the progressive), is the progressive really even needed if you have a Hughes?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Probably not but I had the progressive first and I like the fact that I can see how much voltage I have and how much I am using
Old 06-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Wonder if they still install heat pumps on the roof? Or just air conditioning now with this new heating system?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Hah, what are us 2016 and earlier guys going to be yearning for now?

EDIT: oh ya I see the radiant heat, posted about that a few months ago.

Few other adjustments I can spot:

The main control area by the front door is all in a single panel. Not sure if that is a good move, as those tiny buttons are harder to manipulate. ie: with a regular dimmer switch it may take 1 second to adjust, on that it may take 5.

Light controls on one side of the sofa.

Kitchen counter top has a backsplash gap to let radiant heat rise.

Interested to know how the radiant heat, heats the tanks if at all or do they have simple heat pads (may not be as good for cold weather as the LP furnace).

The dinette seatbacks are now removable and provide the over table bedding.

The tank monitoring system seems to be much upgraded, although the radiant heat control panel isn't integrated and has it's own control panel next to it.

I do see the dinette table lowering/raising is easier to access on the new control panel, it does have electric heating pads for the water tanks.

Combination control panel under the overhead cabinet above the bed.

Tower warmer in bathroom.

External solar plug by battery box.

Mounted factory solar longitudinal with the trailer and not lateral.

TV antenna is different.

Hot air exhaust for the LP radiant heat air handler that is located under the front dinette seat. Air exhaust is just outside at that seat position, just forward of the exterior shower compartment.

Thats the changes from what I can see in the photo's.

It will be interesting to see how well the radiant heater works and the usability of the centralized control interface system is. I plan to mimick a lot of the radiant heat idea, but with cheaper electric strips.

We'll stick with our 2016 Classic. It will be easier to maintain myself once it's out of warranty. No computerized control panel for the lights that would require professional repair. No tank heaters. No heating system coolant to leak or replace periodically. No radiators robbing floor space, especially near the couch where we plan to add folding tables like they had in the 2014 Classic and should have never deleted for 2015. Also the radiator covers have holes on top where dirt and debris can fall thru to clog the heating fins. The forced air furnace should heat the trailer quicker when necessary. No kitchen back splash gap for water or objects to fall into. No power awning (we specifically ordered without it). Wish we could have ordered ours without the power stabilizers since they are actually a negative to us. We believe our 2016 will be better suited for boon docking than a 2017, especially in cold weather, because it's less complicated and has less energy hogging systems. Simple is better.

We saw the new 2017 optional maple cabinets when we toured the factory in May and do not like them, especially the "antiqued" treatment where the recesses around the raised panel doors are darker than the flat areas of the cabinet faces, though others undoubtedly will prefer the lighter color. But we love and prefer the beautiful cherry cabinets in our 2016 Classic.

Oh yeah, we have noticed one more difference on the 2017's we have seen photos of on-line. The couch recliner sections appear wider and the center section with the drawer appears narrower compared to the 2016s. This is also a 2017 negative in our opinion. We don't need larger recliners, but would dislike the reduction in storage space in the center drawer.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote