Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
I noticed mine is starting to come away. My JC appointment is 9/13. Anyone who had JC fix that, did they mention anything different about how they repaired it compared to how it was done initially? Any way to tell whether it was done better?
Old 08-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Um guys this is like the easiest preventative fix imaginable. I just put a small bead of clear silicone around the edge of the mirror right after I took delivery. $3 and 3 minutes work and I never have to worry about it again. You keep the modern crisp edge lines with no ugly mirror clips from grandma's house.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Yeah, I get it. I can probably fix better myself but why should I if I'm going to be there anyway. Want to put onus on JC unless someone here says the repair is identical to initial install.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Today, while 900 miles from home, I noticed our 2016 Classic bathroom mirror was starting to significantly bow away from the wall at the top and bottom center. I immediately headed to the hardware store and screwed in several mirror clips to support it. I may try a more elegant solution when I get back home, but for now, just wanted to thank the OP for bringing this to my attention. I think you helped me avert a big mess.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The mirror clips are the best way to hold the big heavy mirror on. You will have to keep an eye on the silicone from breaking away over time from all the movements the trailer does when going down the road. I used 6 clips and feel the look is good and I feel safe
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Pascagoula , Mississippi
Foley RV in Gulfport replaced our mirror. They installed it using the clear mirror clips. The fix looks fine to me. It may not be as sleek as original but when weighed against how sleek it looks when you find it has shattered and fallen destroying your counter, sink and cabinets.....I'm good!!! They also replaced the counter top and sink. I will work on the cabinet and wood myself. They will fix it under warranty so don't give up. Did it cut your flooring? I like the flooring but am still a bit afraid of how it will hold up.
Pascagoula, MS
Brannch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #27
gwg
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
The mirror clips are the best way to hold the big heavy mirror on. You will have to keep an eye on the silicone from breaking away over time from all the movements the trailer does when going down the road. I used 6 clips and feel the look is good and I feel safe
Bob, what length screws? 1/2"? I assume the partition is 3/4" wood.
gwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Correct. With the clip it allows about a 1/4 inch to go into the wood. I bought 2 packs of clips and used all of them. 8 in total spread out around mirror
Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Our mirror fell and shattered into pieces.Went to a glass company had a new mirror cut to fit.They had a tube of adhesive that is used to bond mirrors to walls in home bathrooms.Applied a generous amount of adhesive installed mirror with factory clips then taped mirror in place until adhesive cured overnight.Removed tape the next morning .That was 3 years and 60k miles ago. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #30
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I haven't had any loosening of my mirror, but after reading all these posts I decided to add the plastic mirror clips. They don't look bad and I sure don't want to destroy the Corian/mocha cherry vanity. With this many fallen mirrors, there's a lot of bad luck going on. I wonder if Airstream is modifying the install process. Very expensive warranty work.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #31

2016 30' Classic
Cypress , Texas
Holiday World of Katy came through and replaced our broken mirror

I'm happy to report that Holiday World of Katy replaced our shattered bathroom mirror flawlessly, attaching it with double sided vs. foam tape. According to the technician, they put more than 10 times the tape that was on the originally installed mirror, so have confidence this won't happen again!

They also ordered parts for the chipped and scratched countertop and cabinets, so hopefully once these parts come in and are installed, there will be no residual damage to our 2016 Classic. We love it and were pleased with the knowledge of the service team and technicians who worked with us to get our bathroom mirror fixed in time for an upcoming trip.
hurlimanrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Liquid nails mirror adhesive!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #33
Dan & Sue Busse

2016 30' Classic
2019 19' Flying Cloud
Wildwood , Missouri
Happened to us as well; however, the mirror did not break. Took it to the dealer (Bill Thomas, Wentzville, MO). In addition to adhesive / tape, they augmented the mirror fastening with clips.
dbusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurlimanrich View Post
we are in the same boat: apparently it takes weeks and weeks to get a small repair done. I drive a new German car with German parts, but I would find waiting for a replacement part for over a week or so totally unacceptable.

I am hoping we will be pleased when it is finally repaired. We love our Airstream and were so disappointed that this happened.
Did you purchase from Holiday World Katy? I'm still waiting for my replacement mirror, etc.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
Did you purchase from Holiday World Katy? I'm still waiting for my replacement mirror, etc.
Sorry, I just read your August 12th post re repair and Holiday World Katy. Pleased that you have been taken care of, I hope for the same result from the same dealer.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Attaching Bathroom Mirror - Any Fail Safe Ideas

Getting ready to attach my replacement bathroom mirror. I will not let the dealer do the work using the same two-sided tape factory technique that failed us before. No reflection on the dealer - just don't trust the factory technique. Also, I prefer to not use plastic clips or wood borders given aesthetic concerns.

I am very appreciative of the 3M tape / RTV Sealant combination idea that RareStream has provided (see attached). Sounds like a winner.

Before I go forward with the tape / RTV sealant technique, I am asking for any other ideas that you may know work well.

Thanks. Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
The SIMPLE fix is to pull the mirror off carefully with your hands and clean the back of the mirror and wall behind it with 91% alcohol to remove ALL of the old double sided tape and residue. Go to WalMart or an auto parts store and buy some wide 3M automotive gray double-side tape and place several strips horizontally along the back of the mirror a few inches apart.

Now, here's the key: put large blots of clear RTV on the back of the mirror BETWEEN the double sided tape strips. THIS is actually what will REALLY hold your mirror to the wall. Use a goodly amount, but not too much that it interferes with the double sided tape. Make sure you use clear RTV; it is removable by rolling it with your thumb should you ever want to remove it and it will NOT hurt the surface it is applied to.

Hang the mirror back on the wall.

The double sided tape's primary purpose is to hold the mirror in place while the RTV cures (about 24 hours) and even if the double sided tape "lets go" (highly unlikely with the 3M product) the RTV absolutely WILL keep the mirror from falling in the future.

Again, the 3M automotive double sided tape is GREAT stuff and won't likely fail especially if you use enough of it and prep the surface with the 91% alcohol. It is designed to be used on shiny automotive exterior paint in the blinding hot sun while exposed to the rain and elements to hold trim and molding on cars. The "shiny" aspect of the Classic's plastic fake wood smooth laminate wall will not cause the 3M tape to perform poorly. Sure, it's hot in an Airstream bathroom when the A/C is off stored somewhere when not in use, but not NEARLY as hot as on the bodyside cladding of a 1995 black Pontiac sitting in the blistering Arizona sun...which is what the 3M tape was designed to be used on.

However, in the event that the 3M tape DID fail, the RTV again WILL keep your mirror from EVER falling off again. Both of them together are bullet-proof. That fake wood laminate wall is going to come apart before the 3M tape and RTV fails.

This is an EASY fix that WILL work...and you don't need to use ugly dollar store 1950's mobile home mirror clips or do a patch job by adding out of place wood strips to hold the mirror in place.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Pulling the mirror off and doing the said repair is great. But the clips are quick, low cost and easy. For the people who are not to handy I say use the clips NOW. For others spend the day removing and reglueing it on. Only thing is if you ever need to remove the mirror because it breaks or the mirror degrades good luck
Old 08-31-2016, 09:37 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
I was lucky in that I noticed the mirror peeling away from the wall prior to taking it from the dealer. They fixed it.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
I can not imagine a child or anyone else in the bathroom when a Mirror falls. Not good
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Ya it's kinda crazy to think that for years Airstream would rather continue to put insufficient double stick tape on the mirrors and causing serious damage/warranty costs instead of switching to mirror glue/silicone, or never fixing too long shanks on window lifts design flaws.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote