Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Thumbs up 2015+ Classic, would you purchase again?

Hey guys, I have a 2016 Classic being delivered in June and have a question. When I am bored, I have a bad habit of second guessing myself. Would you purchase a 2015+ Classic if you had to do it all over again? If not, would you purchase a different Airstream model, or a different type/brand?

Some things I am not totally convinced I will like:

1. Rear bedroom. I know there have been many threads on this topic, but anyone else wish the bedroom and living room were swapped?

2. The shades. I do love that there are day/night shades, but it seems like they cut off the expansive views of the windows/close-in the trailer a bit much. I guess you always have to weigh privacy versus outdoor views. I am also a bit skeptical about the longevity of these blinds.

3. Question long term (I am a full-timer) comfort of reclining sofa vs individual recliners.

4. Darker interior. I love the modern/bright interior of the International serenity series. It is what brought me to airstream, besides the gorgeous exterior. Obviously, the large serenities don't have a lot of the feature and storage of the Classic, so quite the trade-offs involved. As a solo guy, just curious if the (twin) classic (for most storage) may feel a bit dark/cramped.

5. Can the dinette seats be used to work on a laptop? As a tall guy (6'4"), not sure if those low-back seats would be tolerable.

I am super excited to get the new trailer but also a bit anxious that I may have gone a different direction than I originally thought I would.

Specs: Chestnut seats, Night Sky Corian, Twin beds, Electric Awning, Backup Camera, Solar. I have a German Shepherd and a cat to share the second bed.

The order is with Colonial so hopefully the trailer gets delivered with minimal issues...
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Here ya go

1. I like the rear bedroom. In our case twins since they are longer than the standard queen and you have significantly more storage with two additional roof lockers and two hanging lockers.

2. Shades work great.

3. Recliners are very comfortable.

4. Ours is light counters, dark leather. It isn't dark at all. The long center aisle really opens things up.

5. I work from my Classic. 10+ hours a day at the dinette. No issue on comfort or height of the back of the seats.

Other than a defective sail switch in my furnace mine has been trouble free. Had Marvin Braun www.precisionrv.com add 740W of solar, 400ah of Elite Power Solutions lithiums, Magnum Hybrid inverter. Lots of boondocking and love it.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I think you will be fune, so exciting to work from the riad anywhere you want! Enjoy your new classic.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
From a couple who spend over six months a year in our 25' Airstream, you will be just fine. If you will be spending any time in rv parks/resorts you will be glad you have a rear bed.

The greatest problem I see with living in an Airstream is collecting and storing stuff, there's plenty of space for everyday life stuff and a few hobbies, but not much more.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Brush up on your electrical, carpentry, plumbing and automotive skills! We had lots of little things go wrong - shades that weren't properly attached, counter-top splash cracked, radio remote cable broke. Even managed to not properly close the fridge door once - at least the contents were empty but the door flew open and broke the cherry pantry door!

I've made two mods: installed 400 W solar myself using the existing pre-wiring and added an on/off switch for the Relax awning to prevent it from opening while traveling. Next project is to add Centramatics balancers and a TPMS.

Don't fret the constant repairs and upgrades. Enjoy.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Classic rocks

Hi
We sold everything bought a 2016 Classic & 2500 Dodge hit the road with our kids (married daughter and awesome son in law) with their used and excellent condition 2005 classic and Ford F-250. California, Yosemite
Grand Canyon, Stanta Fe and soon back to Coloado. My bookkeeping business working just fine from our dark & wonderful cushions to the lighter counter tops. Table is AWESOME for any height.
From defrosted ice cream to slanted camp sites, running the air conditioner instead of heater in the Grand Canyon, surprise🙄
The fun of people stopping to take pictures of the 2 rigs rolling down the streets together and best of all , the people stopping by to say hi and wanting to look inside.

Absolutely priceless

Meschelle
meschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
We have the same options that you have, but no solar.
1. We prefer the bedroom in back, having owned a prior model with a front bedroom. When the front door is open, there is more privacy in the bedroom area which my wife prefers.
2. I was also concerned about the shades, but in practice, they have worked quite well. You have an expansive view out the fore and aft areas if you choose to lower the shades all the way.
3. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the sofa feels. However, we wish the leg supports would rise a bit higher. We mitigate this with pillows. We like being able to cuddle together on the sofa, and you can sit sideways with your legs across the middle as well. The swing down center table is great. Comfort level is very good, but I have to assume individual recliners would be the most comfortable.
4. We dont feel cramped. We prefer the darker look of the wood/countertops, although the countertops will show more smudges if you dont clean up - a little Pledge cleaner and soft cloth works great. With open shades or lighting options, the interior can be as bright and open whenever you want. The fore and aft sliding ceiling sun roof panels and the two horizontal windows at the top edges in the living room also let in lots of light. We enjoy seeing the trees through the sunroof.
5. The dinette seats are quite comfy
Needless to say, we love our Classic. Enjoy!
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Yes I would purchase again. I have added a drop down table between the sofa and dinette which is my work area. Twin beds in the rear are great. I have dark leather and dark table and counter top and still love it. Makes the whole trailer just seem richer.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
We took delivery of our 2016 Classic in Jan.; zero problems; love it. Dark leather light countertops; queen bed; solar; NO power awning. Dinette very comfortable; as is the sofa/recliners. Shared your concern about the shades; seem fragile. When raising them, pull back a bit when they are up a few inches to clear the window opening handles; makes raising a breeze. Trailer seems very open when shades open and very private when closed. Pulls like a dream behind our F250 diesel. Added rear view camera(for AS) and TPMS. We love her! Have a blast.
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Zybane, I would do it again. Despite initial quality issues which you WILL have, you will get them fixed and it will be behind you soon enough.

The shades grew on me quickly. Love them now, but a little fiddly raising them past the window openers. Like the rear bedroom - if the orientation was flipped I'm not sure I'd like it any better.

I'm the same height as you. I was fixated on a 28' International - was not considering the Classic, but hadn't seen or been in one at the time. No offense to International owners, but while I was very impressed with it and the interior, with my size I was disappointed with two things: 1) all seating cushions seemed to be lacking in support and I bottomed out on the horizontal surfaces; 2) the dinette benches were too close to the table - snug fit for me. Salesman said "you should come in and look at this Classic." Wife and I were like "yeah, right." We were immediately smitten and very impressed not only with the overall looks/features, but I was especially impressed with the superior comfort of the couch and dinette benches. Night and day. I did a 180 and said to my wife, "if we're going to upgrade, it needs to be a Classic."

Yes, I would do it again all day.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Zybane,
We would do it again in a heartbeat. We previously owned a 1993, 25' Classic with rear twins, being 6'4", I could not stretch out, had to sleep on the sofa-now with the queen bed, my feet hang over, have to be careful not to bump head occasionally when walking inside. The Classic interior gives a comfort of home feeling to us more so than the metal skin (personal preference).
The shades are fine, just a little getting used to.
The only change we made was the skylights, which we have replaced with some from Maxim Skylights from Dallas, Tx, to withstand almost anything.
Overall, we feel very comfortable in our 30' Classic - and am sure you will too.
Best Regards,
Old 04-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Without quoting everyone, thanks for the insight! Sounds like owners are VERY positive about this trailer and that I made a good choice. A few questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
5. I work from my Classic. 10+ hours a day at the dinette. No issue on comfort or height of the back of the seats.
That is great to hear that you are able to work that long from the dinette. I always hear people complaining about the seating in Airstreams. Is the dinette in the new Classic special in that regard? Just curious as I need to make a laptop/work area either on one side of the dinette or a table in front of the sofa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
From a couple who spend over six months a year in our 25' Airstream, you will be just fine. If you will be spending any time in rv parks/resorts you will be glad you have a rear bed.

The greatest problem I see with living in an Airstream is collecting and storing stuff, there's plenty of space for everyday life stuff and a few hobbies, but not much more.
Is that typically due to the bedroom being in the back and more "quiet"?

Also, since I will be selling most of my stuff and fill-timing, I've been writing down all the storage compartments and what will go where. Definitely a challenge, even for a single guy with a dog and cat! Hopefully it's doable with the new twin Classic having the most storage currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
I've made two mods: installed 400 W solar myself using the existing pre-wiring and added an on/off switch for the Relax awning to prevent it from opening while traveling. Next project is to add Centramatics balancers and a TPMS.

Don't fret the constant repairs and upgrades. Enjoy.
Could you explain that part a little about the awning opening? Are you saying somehow with the stock configuration it can open by itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Yes I would purchase again. I have added a drop down table between the sofa and dinette which is my work area. Twin beds in the rear are great. I have dark leather and dark table and counter top and still love it. Makes the whole trailer just seem richer.
OH, I would love to see a pic of this work table setup. Would you by chance have a picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post
We took delivery of our 2016 Classic in Jan.; zero problems; love it. Dark leather light countertops; queen bed; solar; NO power awning. Dinette very comfortable; as is the sofa/recliners. Shared your concern about the shades; seem fragile. When raising them, pull back a bit when they are up a few inches to clear the window opening handles; makes raising a breeze. Trailer seems very open when shades open and very private when closed. Pulls like a dream behind our F250 diesel. Added rear view camera(for AS) and TPMS. We love her! Have a blast.
Zero problem, that is encouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
Zybane,
We would do it again in a heartbeat. We previously owned a 1993, 25' Classic with rear twins, being 6'4", I could not stretch out, had to sleep on the sofa-now with the queen bed, my feet hang over, have to be careful not to bump head occasionally when walking inside. The Classic interior gives a comfort of home feeling to us more so than the metal skin (personal preference).
The shades are fine, just a little getting used to.
The only change we made was the skylights, which we have replaced with some from Maxim Skylights from Dallas, Tx, to withstand almost anything.
Overall, we feel very comfortable in our 30' Classic - and am sure you will too.
Best Regards,
I definitely noticed the longer twin beds. Seems great for us taller folks. Could you elaborate on the skylights? Are the stock skylights weak, as in, would fail in hail damage? Is that why people replace them with Maxim? Is it a pretty easy job?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Another thought. My 2016 came with electric stabilizers which is a nice feature but I have found that I never use them. Can't really notice much difference when using or not using. Perhaps living on a boat for 10 years has made me unaware of a little wobble.

Also I would highly recommend the auto electric awning with a cut off switch. This electric awning has removed all the fumbling around with the manual awning. Almost embarrassing as to how easy it works.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We like the living room in the front at RV resorts (everywhere actually) because there is never a bad parking site, such as when you may be back up against a fifth wheel with their big living room window looking down into yours. No issues with noise either way where we have been, these places tend to be super quiet at night. Especially long stay venues.

The type of activity depends on how they are themed or located, some are for family with kids, others for retirees, military, hiking in the mountains or desert, fishing and the beach, even saw a Red Neck park. You can pick where and who you want to hang out with.

Or you can hang out in the middle of nowhere with nobody, then it doesn't matter.

We travel six months a year and our setup is near perfect for us, if we were full time a new Classic would be high on our list. I think you will like it a lot.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Zero regrets. I have made huge modifications to the basic trailer --- 600W solar, 30AMP Magnum inverter, dishwasher, Winegard DirecTV roof mounted satellite dish, Maxim skylights, WiFi Ranger, Wilson Cell Amp, and lots of other upgrades. Not that there was anything wrong with it as it was delivered, but I wanted to be independent of campgrounds and be able to use everything. I love the cabinetry compared with my '12 28' Intl CCD as you can see and reach everything. Villa recliners and dinette are 1000 percent more comfortable than the Airstream mfg "soft" cushions (not so soft as after you sit on them for about 20 minute you're sitting on the plywood). You'll love your Classic.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
BAB certainly gets the prize for the most pimped-out Classic! BAB, what make/model dishwasher did you install and where did you put it?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2006 39' A-Series
Eagle River , Wisconsin
Zybane,

My wife and I are considering upgrading from a FC 30 to a new Classic so your thread has been very helpful. If I might ask, what % discount off MSRP were you able to negotiate on your new Classic purchase from Colonial, and was it an in-stock unit or a special order?

Many thanks!
ktgsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Special order.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Would I buy a classic again YES.... But I have had a lot of problems with mine. 2 times to the factory for a big list of things wrong. Only thing I would never get is the power awning. We full time and it has been broken 2 months into owning and was fixed at the factory to only work 2 times after leaving and is acting up again. Have meet with several other people who have the same issues I have. With that said the cabinets are great, storage is everywhere and the flow inside good. Good luck keeping the dark counter top looking good. Last thing is finding a good dealership to get repairs done. Not having luck since we full time and are on the road a lot. We need to have a page set up for us the owners to grade the dealers so we the owners know where to go. By the way I am a certified RV tech and a ASE master mechanic. I can fix it but under warranty why should I. You will love the classic you did not make a mistake
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When we saw the Classic we were very impressed. Very nice decor and details. I unfortunately could not tow it safely with my truck as it was almost a couple thousand pounds heavier than other similar sized models. The power bed/sofa and real wood/corian takes its toll on weight. And as elegant as they are, their "look" was something my wife and I did not embrace. Just not our cup of tea. So I'm glad there are other options. But the Classic is a very nice trailer indeed.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote