Old 05-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
I posted this in another thread, but since this one (thread) is more popular and lots of people coming from other AS.....

I'm currently in a '15 28' FC Twin and we are considering moving to a '15 Classic Queen. My concern is with exterior storage. In my FC, the camp side storage locker holds tools, outside cooking supplies, fire poker, wheel chokes and similar things. My street side locker holds water/flush hoses, electrical cords/extensions/adapters, gloves for tank dumping etc. My rear locker holds various camping chairs, large camping mat, fishing rods etc.

I'm aware of the advantages of the twins but I'm just curious where do all you Classic (Queen) owners put all this stuff without side lockers....those small under chassis cubbies? Do you just stuff everything in the rear storage? Thx

cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #30
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have the Queen model, but some of the stuff you stow in the trailer, I put in the truck...like camping chairs, outdoor mat. Everything else you cite I put in the trunk, except for the two wheel chocks which I put in what was the front battery compartment (I redid my electrical system and have 4 AGM batteries under the fwd dinette seat). Obviously, the sewer hose and gloves go in the sewer storage compartment in the bumper. BTW, that trunk also holds an extra 25' of water hose, a mini-tent for the generator, and 25' of 50 amp extension cord. Obviously, the usual 50amp cord and 25' of water hose are in there as well.I tried to arrange stuff logically. Some things made better sense in the truck. I don't use the mini storage compartment on the curbside of the trailer at all. Haven't figured out what to put in there, but it would probably stuff I rarely (if ever) use -- like maybe the cable TV wire or something -- which I think I've used twice in 18 months. There would be room in there for fishing rods, but since I don't fish....well, if I did, there's room. Oh, I also have one of those cool extension ladders that fits sidewise when it's compressed. My handy-dandy Airstream rivet kit is in there next to a good old US Army entrenching tool. Simply put....room has not been an issue.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
I posted this in another thread, but since this one (thread) is more popular and lots of people coming from other AS.....

I'm currently in a '15 28' FC Twin and we are considering moving to a '15 Classic Queen. My concern is with exterior storage. In my FC, the camp side storage locker holds tools, outside cooking supplies, fire poker, wheel chokes and similar things. My street side locker holds water/flush hoses, electrical cords/extensions/adapters, gloves for tank dumping etc. My rear locker holds various camping chairs, large camping mat, fishing rods etc.

I'm aware of the advantages of the twins but I'm just curious where do all you Classic (Queen) owners put all this stuff without side lockers....those small under chassis cubbies? Do you just stuff everything in the rear storage? Thx
Those small cubbies under the sides are pretty darn small. Maybe toss some coiled up wire in there or something, or some rarely used tools.

You really have to weigh the priorities of the queen versus twin.

The twin obviously has more storage inside and out and you have a wider space to get up and get dressed. The trailer also seems a bit longer with the aisle being longer.

The queen is more traditional and a bit more "master bedroom" looking.

I guess if you have a spouse, the big determining factor is if you want to sleep together or slightly separate?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
^ thanks for the info BAB and Zybane.

The Twins do offer several advantages but after "living" with them for a few years I'm not sure I enjoy sleeping against a wall, especially when it's colder outside. Also, although they are technically a little wider than 1/2 queen, the rounded off top corner really limits shoulder room. Because of this we have decided to consider going back to a "traditional" queen arrangement.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
No bad decision. I am glad they offer both options! I hear you on the wall feeling cold. I think I may add an electric strip heater along the side of the mattress on the wall.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
So here's another question about the queen vs twins...length. Will a full size queen mattress (80") fit in the room and still give you room to walk around? Will the frame support it?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 AM   #35
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Walk around room would be limited. Also the Queen can be a chore to make up. For us the Twin provides more walk around room, storage and ease of making up the bed.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
More storage with Twins. Back compartment is the width of the trailer. Also has a 'tub' with two covers. Hard to describe but basically you have a 'basement' in that compartment. Leave the covers off and it drops down an additional six inches or so. Side compartments are long front to back, most of the length of the twin beds above.

Sheets, just use regular twin sheets. Save money and they fit fine. No real need for custom sheets. For the flats I use a set of clips from BedBathBeyond that keep them from pulling loose.

I'm 6'4" and like the length since they are much longer than the queen. Also no issue with the rounding for shoulder room since that's where my head is. Shoulders about where the curve from the rear of the trailer ends.

Sleeping next to the wall. Haven't really noticed. Might be a bit cooler but having camped all of March up in South Dakota with daytime highs in the 40's and night time lows in the teens never had an issue staying warm day or night.

Storage
Road side - water hoses, cable TV/Sat connection wire. Any thing on used on the wet side.
Rear - 50amp power cable, surge protector, 30/20amp adapters, 50amp extension. Compartment nearly empty with lots more room available.
Curb side - chocks, tools, locking cables, 250# torque wrench.
Back bumper - Sewer connection, primary tank dump hose.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks ghaynes755. I currently own a twin 28' FC, the storage and bed size is very similar to the classic twin so I'm familiar with those pros/cons.

For me, I find that i sleep "wide". Arms/legs across bed etc and with the twin I was either against the drafty wall or on the edge to get enough room where I wasn't banging the wall with arms/legs. Nothing perfect
Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Get the King Bed model. I saw someone who put a King Bed in the back. Took up most of the space, no walk around room. Probably would need a severe set of lift tubes but owners loved it since they had 'room' to roam.

I think I saw post that Zybane just picked up his 2016 Classic. Had a nice review today on the forum.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
A king? Is that for real? If so, I would love to see how that worked out.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #40
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I added a mattress topper to the Queen and it is a lot more comfortable. It's also heavy, and the gas struts were inadequate to either help or keep the bed lifted when I wanted to store stuff. I bought a 12V lift actuator (sold to do an electric lift for your home tractor with a dump attachment). Kind of an interesting install, but it raises and lowers the queen bed as well as holds it wherever you want....yes, one more electrical draw on the batteries!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 05-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #41
Site Team

, Minnesota
Barry, I think the "mattress topper" has a name, and I doubt she enjoys it when you use the lift to eject her from the bed.
Miss Rhoda will not be pleased.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #42
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Not as funny as the post you made after I had installed a dishwasher in my Classic and you said, "I already have one, it's your sister!" It's lucky you have twin beds in your Tradewinds or you'd probably have been on the floor with that one! Yes, Rhoda does sleep on the bed. Basset Hounds as a breed much prefer the BED to the FLOOR. Oh, Nola sleeps on the Villa sofa at night. Much more comfortable than Airstream upholstery with the cheap foam.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21