Old 09-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Now they have a model to please almost every taste, except Classic functional.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
You see, you certainly can't please everyone. One of the reasons I didn't get a classic when I bought my FC in 2010 was because of the Classic's decor. As soon as I saw pics of the new Classic I ordered one the next day. Could it be an age thing? I'm 49. Taste is very subjective.
BTW I love the open (read no wardrobes) rear bedroom.

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like the old Classic decor.
Good thing I have one-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
You see, you certainly can't please everyone. One of the reasons I didn't get a classic when I bought my FC in 2010 was because of the Classic's decor. As soon as I saw pics of the new Classic I ordered one the next day. Could it be an age thing? I'm 49. Taste is very subjective.
BTW I love the open (read no wardrobes) rear bedroom.
BINGO! It is an age thing. Remember the Buicks in the 80s? Velour cushions on top of velour seats. They came complete with a "last time buyer program"!!! I started my career with Buick and the average age of the buyer was around 70. That was not sustainable. Today, Buick is NOTHING like it was just 10 years ago, and the average age of the buyer is now 48.

AS started this change with the Internationals....black, chrome, and wild carpet and fabric colors. Now it has moved to affluent younger buyers with the Classic.

However, I think they have abandoned the tail of the baby boomers a bit too soon. There is a difference in your market (Buick) dying off and your traditional market "tapering off".

I appreciate the International and the new Classic, but I would NEVER buy either. I'm caught in the middle. I love my Classic, but for some of the "grandma's house" flowery fabric.(easily changed....just haven't done it yet).

But I am a fan of quality solid hardwoods, and the hickory, sans mirrors of prior years, is perfect for me.

I cannot see EVER trading mine for anything other than a used model of the same vintage. They have lost me in overal cost, styling, unnecessary expensive features, lost beneficial features of the old model and lost storage space.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
It would be interesting to know what the new Classic sales will be in comparison to the previous gen. I would speculate that AS was forced to make a change because of diminishing numbers but time will tell.

My dad had a 1980 Buick Park Avenue with that red velvet over velvet interior. I loved it!! Every now and then I look at eBay trying to find one.

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
It would be interesting to know what the new Classic sales will be in comparison to the previous gen. I would speculate that AS was forced to make a change because of diminishing numbers but time will tell.

My dad had a 1980 Buick Park Avenue with that red velvet over velvet interior. I loved it!! Every now and then I look at eBay trying to find one.
Mine too. I'm 54 and, as stated, in between. I would buy a 67 - 72 Olds (Dad always bought Oldsmobiles until I went to work for Buick) But I wouldn't buy the velour era cars.

See it is an age thing.

A 70 Olds 98 would be just the thing for my future vintage AS. Dad moved uptown in 70 to the LS. (Regency didn't come along until 71 or 72, IIRC). I was 10 and that car was AWESOME to me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #91
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
BINGO! It is an age thing. Remember the Buicks in the 80s? Velour cushions on top of velour seats. They came complete with a "last time buyer program"!!! I started my career with Buick and the average age of the buyer was around 70. That was not sustainable. Today, Buick is NOTHING like it was just 10 years ago, and the average age of the buyer is now 48.

AS started this change with the Internationals....black, chrome, and wild carpet and fabric colors. Now it has moved to affluent younger buyers with the Classic.

However, I think they have abandoned the tail of the baby boomers a bit too soon. There is a difference in your market (Buick) dying off and your traditional market "tapering off".

I appreciate the International and the new Classic, but I would NEVER buy either. I'm caught in the middle. I love my Classic, but for some of the "grandma's house" flowery fabric.(easily changed....just haven't done it yet).

But I am a fan of quality solid hardwoods, and the hickory, sans mirrors of prior years, is perfect for me.

I cannot see EVER trading mine for anything other than a used model of the same vintage. They have lost me in overal cost, styling, unnecessary expensive features, lost beneficial features of the old model and lost storage space.
This reminds me of a IKEA thread here of, I believe, about a year ago. I was on the same side of that (don't like IKEA). However these are long held opinions for me. I thought the Jetson's house and furniture were silly looking, too.

Ken
Old 09-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Mine too. I'm 54 and, as stated, in between. I would buy a 67 - 72 Olds (Dad always bought Oldsmobiles until I went to work for Buick) But I wouldn't buy the velour era cars.

See it is an age thing.

A 70 Olds 98 would be just the thing for my future vintage AS. Dad moved uptown in 70 to the LS. (Regency didn't come along until 71 or 72, IIRC). I was 10 and that car was AWESOME to me.

My family could never afford the. Ninety-Eight Regency, but we had a Delta 88 Royale, silver with a maroon vinyl top snd red pinstripe and crushed velour interior, and wire wheel covers- still a fine ride.
We could never afford a Park Avenue or Electra 225, but we had a light blue LeSabre with a dark blue vinyl top and crushed velour interior and wire wheel covers and a cassette tape deck-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #93
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hub and I are in our mid-50's. We love the look of the new Classic. I didn't really care for the log cabin look of the hickory. But I grew up with parents who had Scandinavian furniture and a contemporary house. It is not entirely an age issue, it is an issue of what you are comfortable with.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Well, I am getting up there in years! I still like the oak interior in our older classic but could also be very happy with the interior features/design of the new version.

I especially like the exposed aluminum, led lights, window treatment, cabinetry finish, nd all the stainless covers on appliances outside the trailer.

In fact, I prefer the latest version to our more traditional - and perhaps now a bit dated - decor.

In my case, it is only the lack of the earlier "Classic 30" layout and all its storage that I feel I would not be happy with.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have seen the video from Colonial Airstream and upon reflection about many of the bullet points shown, I realize our modified Classic has many of those "features" now.

We have retrofitted all the external stainless steel "doors" and the two stainless steel underbody storage and water works cabinets for the Classic. The only external operational plastic cover device left is the power outlet cover curb side.

I think that all of the modifications we have done has our cost basis still less than the base price of a 2015 model. We do not have the electric awnings, the bed lift, the dinette table lift, or the power stabilizer arms. We do have solid hickory cabinets and lots of storage that got lost in the 2015 model.

We do have the 16" tires and wheels like the factory installs, disc brakes, SeeLevel tank level monitoring system conversion (the newer model #714 than what Airstream is installing), 800 watt solar system, Maxim skylights, GFI 20 amp outlets throughout the trailer, all outlets powered by the 2800 watt inverter when not on shore power, LED light conversion on all fixtures, quieter air-conditioning units due to conversion back to old drain pans system to get rid of rattle caused by the drain cups vibrating against the external skin of the trailer, magnetic stainless steel side splash beside cooktop, operational replacements for the two sink soap dispensers, custom Marmoleum flooring and lots of detail items.

The 2015 model would not work for us. Hopefully, others may find it wonderful!

We have planned to keep our 2014 Classic until we pass on. When towing becomes an issue for us, we will place it on our lot for the summer in an Airstream only park in Lakeside, Arizona.

I am glad there are so many Airstream model choices for the customers to choose from. There is the "perfect unit" for every buyer. There will be a 27' Classic later this model year.

We are very pleased that we had the opportunity to acquire our 31' Classic when we did.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #96
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
It seems to me that Airstream's marketing folks have been doing their homework based upon what I heard at JC last Spring. Those buying Airstream's now are younger, there is a segment for whom the A/S is their first trailer, and many have young children. If you look at the interior of the Classic, and look at what's in today's furniture stores you see the move to darker wood, and "smarter" soft goods (curtains, pillows, window treatments). Even the drawer pulls, handles, and bathroom fixtures in the new Classic fit what this demographic is buying -- nickel finish, sleek. And, I wonder if less storage goes along with less "stuff" in general. I know I still haul too many clothes (and I just did 3 1/2 weeks...with a couple of laundromat stops!). Some of us have already done the upgrades that are on this Classic (like Switz!)...I have a 28' Intl, but it has all the stainless steel outside, the 16" wheels and Michelin's, Lifeline batteries, 400 W of solar, upgraded converter, 2000W inverter, you name it. Most of what's in this Classic I really like. ESPECIALLY the ducted air. If both my A/C units are on it's almost impossible to avoid shouting. I see this trailer as "improvements" and not just "changes". (Where have we heard THAT before!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #97
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
And your trailer, as customized by you BAB, is absolutely beautiful. See you at Alumalina.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 09-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #98
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
And Nola and Rhoda,

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums