Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
My sarcastic comments are for those supporting the new Classic.

I think the naysayers should start a new thread:

"Hating the new Classic and loving it"

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #128
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
My sarcastic comments are for those supporting the new Classic.

I think the naysayers should start a new thread:

"Hating the new Classic and loving it"
Actually for me there is a distinction between not wanting and not liking. I think it is a very good choice for those who like the interior styling and believe in ultimate glamping. I would not say I don't like it, I just don't want it for my purposes. Although I certainly do not rough it when I camp, I like some of the camping feel. I do not want my trailer interior to look like a small 5 star hotel room, but some apparently do. So I will look at those who want one and can afford one as just less competition for my next trailer.

Ken

Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	hump1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	223420
Click image for larger version

Name:	hump2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	223421

OMG the horror, the horror of the hump!

Future Airstreamers are doomed!

I just can't see the big deal and I definitely see the benefit of not having a stupid plastic A/C unit hanging from the ceiling in the interior.

By the way, these photos came from msmoto & mefly2. The first was taken 7 feet off the ground, the second one was taken while standing. Personally, I think Airstream did a great job of adding the advantage of ducted A/C without changing the look of the trailer.

Kudos Airstream, I am glad that the new models are breaking all sales records.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #130
'06 75th Winick Prototype

Lockport , Louisiana
Humpstreams Unite!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Younger with families

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
It seems to me that Airstream's marketing folks have been doing their homework based upon what I heard at JC last Spring. Those buying Airstream's now are younger, there is a segment for whom the A/S is their first trailer, and many have young children. If you look at the interior of the Classic, and look at what's in today's furniture stores you see the move to darker wood, and "smarter" soft goods (curtains, pillows, window treatments). Even the drawer pulls, handles, and bathroom fixtures in the new Classic fit what this demographic is buying -- nickel finish, sleek. And, I wonder if less storage goes along with less "stuff" in general. I know I still haul too many clothes (and I just did 3 1/2 weeks...with a couple of laundromat stops!). Some of us have already done the upgrades that are on this Classic (like Switz!)...I have a 28' Intl, but it has all the stainless steel outside, the 16" wheels and Michelin's, Lifeline batteries, 400 W of solar, upgraded converter, 2000W inverter, you name it. Most of what's in this Classic I really like. ESPECIALLY the ducted air. If both my A/C units are on it's almost impossible to avoid shouting. I see this trailer as "improvements" and not just "changes". (Where have we heard THAT before!)
We attended the Southwest Super Show in Dallas last month specifically to see the Airstreams in one location and to help our friends try to make a RV decision. We were surprised to see a Classic being sold to an entire family in Market Hall...mom dad, brothers and sisters, must have been 5 or 6 kids total all stair stepped in age. We looked at each other and watched through the window as the salesman explained the unit and wondered where are they all going to sleep? Later on that morning, we saw another family in a Airstream unit with the same situation although I think there were less kids. The times, they are a changing. Also pleasing to us was the price of our unit when we ordered at the same show in 2005. The Safari was replaced with the Flying Cloud and it was almost double what we paid for ours. Doing it again in todays market, money, job situation, we would never be able to afford what we are so lucky to have. We wouldn't trade for anything! However...the ducted air conditioning is wonderful, quiet, can't say enough about that new feature.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am from a loud family / so talking over 80 decibels ain't so bad right??

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #133
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
We were surprised to see a Classic being sold to an entire family in Market Hall...mom dad, brothers and sisters, must have been 5 or 6 kids total all stair stepped in age. We looked at each other and watched through the window as the salesman explained the unit and wondered where are they all going to sleep?
Kids love tents!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Ridiculous. Complaining for the sake of complaining. I'm suspecting most of this is designed to make you feel better about your current choices/assets ...is it working?

This comment is the most honest comment on the entire thread.....it seems to me that people would realize it gets a bit boring sometimes..

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Those of us who are 5'8" or less would have prefered the hump be placed on the inside. You tall guys always get stuff your way. Personally I think big people breath more than their share of the air.

Ken

Ken,
I think you and I agree that anyone who is 5'7 or more is simply too tall...

For whatever it's worth..

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #136
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am from a loud family / so talking over 80 decibels ain't so bad right??

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Perhaps there is something to be said for speaking loudly and often?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Kids love tents!
As a kid I camped in Nimrods, Colemans, Tradewinds, tent trailer and then a 68 VW Camper, and finally a motor home with the parents, then I had to start out with on the ground tents with my wife and then we reached the age of Airstream. Even as a kid I would have been hurt, disgusted, insulted, revolted, (you name it) at being forced to sleep in a tent away from the family unit. Worse...if the parents have an Airstream.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #138
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
As a kid I camped in Nimrods, Colemans, Tradewinds, tent trailer and then a 68 VW Camper, and finally a motor home with the parents, then I had to start out with on the ground tents with my wife and then we reached the age of Airstream. Even as a kid I would have been hurt, disgusted, insulted, revolted, (you name it) at being forced to sleep in a tent away from the family unit. Worse...if the parents have an Airstream.
That's funny.

When I was a kid, I was insulted and disgusted if my parents made me sleep in a trailer. My brother and I loved tenting because we thought it was real camping. Only old people liked sleeping in trailers because they were soft and couldn't hack roughing it.

We grew up in Colorado and camped out almost every weekend in the summer.

Now that I am old, I can't hack sleeping in a tent anymore and my wife would never want to camp in a tent. So I guess I was right as a kid.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There were too many of us for one tent. It took 3. Grownups, boys, girls.
Big families at campgrounds have grownups in the trailer and kids in a tent.
Before I had a trailer, we would tent camp on the same pad with friends who had trailers.
Now that we have a trailer, we let friends tent camp on our campsite.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #140
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
When I was young, there were 4 kids and (surprise) 2 adults. We all slept in a 15 foot travel trailer. The tent pitched outside had a porta potty and was the outhouse (and changing station if trailer was occupied). However I got many hours in a tent and on the ground without a tent backpacking with BSA.

Ken