Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
After towing my 30' FC for 5 years with 3 different half ton RAMs with a Hensley, I am more than confident with the new Classic hitched up.

But....

However you maybe right. Chances are after 5 miles towing, my EcoDiesel will probably implode on itself resulting in a massive explosion of biblical proportions. It could damage nearby vehicles, towns; possibly take out the local power grid. Oh, and what about my insurance company not covering?!?!
Did I forget about being a menace to society???

Sorry but I am the most sarcastic member of this forum, and sick of having the CAN I TOW THIS WITH THIS DEBATE
Attachment 225491
Wow! I just hope that you are still in the "Great White North" when all that happens.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog1 View Post
OK, Night #2 in our new Classic, Definitely worth the the wait. We LOVE it. Few minor issues cosmetic issues. Door handle fell off bathroom. Trying to find a small (really small) allen wrench to tighten set screw. No book with microwave oven, dealer trying to get one for me. No new owners manual, They included last years as new one won't be ready for few weeks. Took me hour to find breaker panel. Someone forgot to install latch on drawer under microwave so we need to order that for dealer to install when we go back. must have inverter running to operate power recliner.(not crazy about that) but we love this trailer. The lighting both interior and exterior is superb. Given about 20 tours so far. We are here at Suncoast Rally, Dade City FL.
Regarding the recliner/inverter issue. On our 2012 the inverter was not plugged into a shore power outlet. In talking to the inverter manufacturer they stated that if it was in short power it would simply pass it through to the outlet.

This is great! I just leave the TV's plugged into the inverter outlets. When on shore power they work normally without the inverter turned on.

Might help your recliner irritant?
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
What - serious? Argh - my inverter outlets are not hot when on shore power with inverter off

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Why wouldn't AS have installed an automatic transfer switch and tossed all the secondary outlets? This is how my aftermarket solar/inverter is setup and I never have to touch power cords.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Damascus , Oregon
I am waiting to hear back from Airstream on a fix for the recliner issue. My understanding is they had to choose either shore or inverter power & thought it best to choose inverter because it will work either way. It is annoying to have the inverter on when you are on shore power because you can hear the inverter. If any one has any luck on this fix please pass it on.

Thanks Bob
bobcat1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
What - serious? Argh - my inverter outlets are not hot when on shore power with inverter off

Does your inverter have a power cord?

Here is what is in mine: http://www.bestconverter.com/assets/...f600manual.pdf
On the road!
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 11-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
Does your inverter have a power cord?

Here is what is in mine: http://www.bestconverter.com/assets/...f600manual.pdf

I'm not totally sure - I'll check my model and look - what I am sure of is that I have regular AC outlets and inverter outlets - the inverter outlets are not hot unless inverter is on

I'm not sure of what it takes to make outlets be able to accept AC shore power AND AC power from inverter when needed and how much more cost that would be for AS - but it would be a nice simplified feature to have - certainly would help for such a problem as the power recliner

Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #128
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
This is good info from when my Classic arrives. I know from my 2012 Intl that the inverter circuits worked only when I had it switched on. Wasn't really an issue for me. (I installed a 2000 Watt Xantrex so I could run my Keurig when I was off the grid..) I've already got half a room of stuff to swap Classic stuff -- inverter, converter, Sirius, accumulator for the water pump, etc.) I've also decided to install an ice maker in my fridge (will run the 120V through my inverter), solar, Jack antenna, WiFi Ranger, Wilson Cell amplifier, etc. I expect to spend a good bit of Winter in the customization mode....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #129
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Bob
Let me know what you find out because Im getting tired of hearing that inverter run all night just so I have use of my recliner.
Russ
Firedog
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
I'm not totally sure - I'll check my model and look - what I am sure of is that I have regular AC outlets and inverter outlets - the inverter outlets are not hot unless inverter is on

I'm not sure of what it takes to make outlets be able to accept AC shore power AND AC power from inverter when needed and how much more cost that would be for AS - but it would be a nice simplified feature to have - certainly would help for such a problem as the power recliner

For us it was a simple matter of plugging the inverter into the shore power outlet that the converter uses. I will check to see what the small switch is set at.

I also talked to a support person at WFCO to verify it would do this. It appears, according to the manual, that the status light shows up different colors if it is feeding from shore power or inverting from battery. I will try to test that tonight also.
On the road!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
For us it was a simple matter of plugging the inverter into the shore power outlet that the converter uses. I will check to see what the small switch is set at.

I also talked to a support person at WFCO to verify it would do this. It appears, according to the manual, that the status light shows up different colors if it is feeding from shore power or inverting from battery. I will try to test that tonight also.

Very interested !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415066250.833857.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	225674

Old 11-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Why wouldn't AS have installed an automatic transfer switch and tossed all the secondary outlets? This is how my aftermarket solar/inverter is setup and I never have to touch power cords.

Mine is the same as yours. All this other fooling around with cords and plugs is really scary. When there is shore power around, I plug in the Airstream. When there is no shore power, I turn on the inverter via a remote switch. All outlets work the same regardless of power source. There are no dedicated inverter outlets confusing the issue. The only thing I can't use when there is no shore power is the AC. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #133
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
When the WFCO was removed from my FC25 with my solar install the AC power cord is simply folded up, wrapped with a piece of tape and a piece of electrical tape placed over the 110V prongs. Depending on where it is located there may or not be a 120V outlet close by that you could plug into.

With the Magnum inverter/charger it was a simple matter to add the dedicated WCCO outlets to the rest of the power grid. So all 120V outlets fed either shore power or inverter power.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Very interested !

Attachment 225674

The specs for your inverter say:

• Heavy Duty field replaceable AC pass thru relay
On the road!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #135
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Recharable Battery Pack /or pull power from the batts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat1959 View Post
I am waiting to hear back from Airstream on a fix for the recliner issue. My understanding is they had to choose either shore or inverter power & thought it best to choose inverter because it will work either way. It is annoying to have the inverter on when you are on shore power because you can hear the inverter. If any one has any luck on this fix please pass it on.

Thanks Bob
Really !!! The motors on the power recliner are DC , so Airstream engineers should be able to pull power from DC and figure whatever,( step up transformer ?? )
Can't believe how cheesy that was designed in .

THE FIX "Electric recliners usually get their power from an electrical outlet, but some manufacturers offer recliners with rechargeable battery packs. These eliminate the need for a nearby electrical socket. Battery packs usually last for around 150 cycles between one recliner position and another before they need to be recharged."
RECLINERS - Sofa-Guide.com
Airstream earn your money for what you charge !!
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #136
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Damascus , Oregon
Well on the recliners running on inverter power & shore power, here is Airstream response. Not what I was hoping to hear, very disappointing. I am surprised a high product like this was not better thought out, especially at the cost! When we originally looked at the trailer, the dealer did not even know how to work the recliners! Finally some one turned on the inverter & presto.

Dear Airstream,
I see a lot of talk on the forum about inverters and making the recliners work on shore and inverter power with out without turning it on.

Talk from fellow Airstreamers "Wasn't really an issue for me. (I installed a 2000 Watt Xantrex)" Do your engineers have a recommended fix??? Would installing this unit be a fix? There response.

Bob,
Our inverter circuits are stand alone circuits and do not tie into the shore power circuits at all. We run this line direct from the inverter to an outlet to power the couch. There would need to be some rewiring of this circuit to get it hooked into the main breaker panel first. Then your Xantrex inverter could be tied into the shore power circuits and be powered by either the inverter or the shore power cord.
Like I said this would take quite a bit of work but could be changed. We just feel leaving the inverter switch in the on position (especially when your plugged into shore power) is not putting a heavy load on your batteries. We actually have this same type of inverter connection in our Land Yacht models associated with the televisions in them.
I hope this answers your questions on the inverter. If not please let me know.

My response,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. As far as this inverter issue with the recliner I think it is going to be a big issue based on the feed back I am getting from new owners. I am very unhappy with how this works & for this kind of money I would think it would of been better thought out? It sound like there is no easy fix. I think that the factory should make it work either way which would be much easier to fix it on your end rather than a expensive aftermarket fix. The problem with leaving the inverter switch on is that there is a constant humming from the inverter. So are they any other fixes that you would recommend? Will the factory fix this issue so I can take it back to my dealer & get it fixed. There response.

Bob,
Thank you for the comments you have supplied and I will make sure our management team has the opportunity to review them. We have had feedback both ways on this subject and made the decision to run the couch outlet direct from the inverter through this feedback. Many of our customers like to use their trailers in remote areas that do not give them the ability to use the shore power cord. We feel that utilizing the inverter direct is the best option for either scenario.

Bob,
Your trailer is working the way it is designed to operate and we have no plans to change this inverter circuit at this time.
Again, we appreciate the feedback you have provided.

Bob,
We do not have a recommended change on this. We currently have no plans in making any changes in the setup. If something changes I will let you know.

Unfortunately that is where it stands for now. Hope this is helpful for fellow Classic owners. If some has any ideas I am open to your feedback.

Thanks Bob
Old 11-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:

You wouldn't want to run all the outlets in the trailer through the inverter unless you had a large battery bank and an inverter capable of running everything in the trailer. Turn on a hair dryer or a coffee pot with that inverter and you'll shut things down in a hurry.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #138
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Bob
I don't know what the answer is, sounds like Airstream has no intension of dealing with this. As I type this message I am sitting on my recliner, The inverter is 4 feet away under the dinette and so loud I have the TV cranked up to hear it. My only option at this point is turn inverter off and don't use recliners until a fix is made. I do not feel the fix should be at my expense after spending in excess of 100K on a new Classic.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #139
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Damascus , Oregon
Russ
My feeling exactly, cannot stand the humming. Very disappointing that they are not even considering a fix especially at the cost of the new Classic. They could of at least of put the inverter some where else away from the living room area.

Hensley
Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
You wouldn't want to run all the outlets in the trailer through the inverter unless you had a large battery bank and an inverter capable of running everything in the trailer. Turn on a hair dryer or a coffee pot with that inverter and you'll shut things down in a hurry.

I meant to say that I wish there were a solution where they wired everything to use one set of outlets that feed either shore power or inverter power through the same outlets requiring no switching

If I had these recliners - I may look into a remote for the inverter power? So turn it on - recline - then turn it off? Crappy solution but may be best bet?