Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #541
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
When at the factory last week we were told that the current Classic delays are being driven by a supplier quality issue and rejection of incoming components. Airstream may have little control of how long this delays completion of trailers.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #542
gwg
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
I knew they were having issues with the cabinet provider.
gwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #543
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
And we have called our dealer. That is who has been giving us the little information we have.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #544
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Picked up our Classic on Monday April 20th from Colonial. Delivery was on time but then I ordered in December for a delivery first of April. It had been on the lot for about two weeks.

Here's a stream of consciousness as I sit here in Rapid City, SD with a very rainy Sunday.

Trailer has been flawless. Fit and finish outstanding. Working my way back from New Jersey to the Denver area I have had long periods of heavy rain and zero leaks.

The shades do have a tight clearance with the window opening knobs. Don't think I will cut the shorter as it is very easy to simply lift the shades, two hands one on each side of the bar and pull it slightly towards the inside of the trailer. Straight forward.

The curved window shades are a bit hard to get fully closed. If there is a trick/tip let me know.

Night shades are outstanding. Interior is dark as a cave with everything covered. Pretty impressive if you like to sleep in late

Couch and dinette seats are very comfortable.

We ordered twin beds. The mattress seems to be much improved over the queen we had in the 2014 FC. Really like having a mattress that is 78" long.

Had one drawer under the twin beds that wouldn't stay closed. Turns out that the latch on the back wall was in the closed position so wouldn't grab the hook on the drawer. Very easy to remove the drawers. There are handles on the inside of each sliding rail. Reach under the sides towards the face and pull them towards the outside and you can lift the drawer out. Same on all of the cherry cabinet drawers.

Furnace really pumps the heat. Heat Pump with the ducts means I can run the smaller rear heat pump, less noise up front, and keep things warm.

Couple of nits. The 'medicine' cabinet door over the toilet will open and hit the bathroom door frame. I put a small felt dot on the wall.

Same with the hall handle on the bathroom door. It will open all the way to flush along the hallway and the door handle will bang into the front of the slide out pantry. Another small felt dark colored dot just to be safe.

The main circuit breaker panel is not labeled. Since there is no owners manual yet, heard again 'real soon now', there should have been a label. I have a drawing schematic but still should be properly labeled.

Since there is no manual there are no specs for tire pressure or wheel nut torques. I've asked the factory for that info.

Compared to my 2014 FC 25 the water pump is very quiet.

Shower head does not tilt but not much of an issue as I am 6'4". It does not have a shutoff at the head as others have mentioned. It's simple to remember where the mixer handle needs to be for a good temp. Each to turn off and then back on to the same general spot.

Polk audio system sounds good and Sirrius/XM receiver is included. Just need to activate.

Found that the HDMI splitter doesn't play well with the DISH VP211 satellite receiver. I get a picture but no audio. Tried multiple arrangements after removing the BluRay player and mounting box. I don't know if the box is bad or it just doesn't like the HDMI output from the DISH box. Did not have the issue with my 2014 FC so suspecting the box might be bad.

I'll be ordering another switch that will take 3 inputs with 2 outputs and replace it. That way I can have inputs from the BluRay, DISH VP211 and my iPad.

TV antenna has been a bit of a disappointment. Not sure that it has the oomph of the old crank up. Need to try it some more where there are better signals. Barry (BAB) removed it and replaced with the Jack directional. that might be an option but I use the sat a lot and it has done a great job.

Only item that is not working consistently is one of the hallway closet lights. Doesn't consistently turn on when the door opens.

What I miss is the 12V output plug in near the BluRay player and no power outlets in the front overhead cabinets. Would be nice to have power in the cabinets for my cellphone booster but can probably by setup.

Tows like a dream. ProPride and GMC 2500HD Duramax. So far averaging 13.2mpg from NJ, down through Virginia then over to Louisville. Lunch at Churchhill Downs. Then lunch the next day at Lake of the Ozarks and then now a few days in Rapid City, SD before heading back to Denver.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #545
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
ghaynes - thank you so much for all of your information. Seems unbelievable that they still do not have an owner's manual! Not sure exactly when we will be picking ours up, but hopefully within the week. I so wish there was a GPS tracker on it. The best laid plans... Oh well, I would rather it be right than to have so many problems.

Laura & Tom
Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #546
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Sticking windows on 2015 Classic

Any ideas to open stuck winows?

Thanks

Eark
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #547
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Gary, good talking to earlier this evening. Couple things I should have mentioned. Do be SURE to torque those wheel lug nuts to 90-100 lbs. You probably want to do it every night if you aren't. Also, agree on the lack of USB's up front. I removed the 120V outlets on either side of the sofa and replaced them with 110V's WITH USB ports in each. That solves that problem, and what you'll install are better than what's in there (they don't use screw type outlets). Suggest a power strip up there adjacent to the BluRay, as you'll need it once you install an HDMI multiplier. Guess you could put in one of those $10.00 auto 120-12V inverters if you wanted 12V up there. Glad you mentioned the potential wood dents from door banging. (BTW, both door handles fell off my lav door on the trip to the Outer Banks....get your small Allen wrench out and tighten them.) I should have mentioned this to you, but I have a brand new Xantrex 2000W inverter. I bought it before Lew convinced me to the the Magnum install. Let me know if you are interested. Re: the owner's manual. I had the same issue with my 2012. Neither the manual for that trailer or my new Classic work(ed). Some of the generic stuff is OK, but even the location for the main panel is incorrect. I think this issue must be well-known to A/S leadership, but at this stage of their development it's inexcusable to launch a product without accurate documentation, if only on-line! Travel safe. Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #548
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had an unplanned delivery delay in January 2014 due to the near blizzard conditions from 6 to 9 January that completely interrupted the Airstream factory "just in time" inventory system. Our unit had to await the large television bracket and an arm cushion.

It set outside in a back lot in zero temps until the parts came in and it was "released" from production. I knew when that was done and contacted the driving company so knew exactly when the unit would be on the dealer lot.

The dealer called me to say the unit was in and and I told him I already knew that and was only a few miles away.

Since the new units come with the 16" SenDel wheels that are also used on the Eddie Bauer models, here is the factory torque specification as I photoed at the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SenDel wheel torque.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	237124  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #549
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Barry I've seen somewhere that the torques are in the 120-130# range with the Sendel's. Will call the factory again since I didn't get anything from them from my Friday request for info.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #550
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
One other thought. Depending on the type of WD hitch you plan to use if it has a bracket that goes under the frame you will need to make some adjustment to the propane gas line. The gas line is hard mounted to the bottom of the curbside frame. Which means that the u-bolt for the ProPride jacks and centering cross bar can't be installed until the line is dropped and rerouted. I'll take some photos when the weather improves so that you can see the nice job that Colonial did for me.

Saw that they needed to do the same think with an Equalizer on another Classic.

For the ProPride you will need to get a 2 inch 1/2 inch bolt rather than the supplied 3 1/2 inch bolt for the jacks. The supplied bolt is to long to fit between the jack and the battery box.

Also you will need to either carve out a notch in the tank cover on each side so that the side rails on the jacks don't prop up the cover. Or simply trim off the front tab. I trimmed the tab. If the bar were to swing forward, not likely, they would hit the tank regardless. So rather than change the tank cover I trimmed the rail.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:21 AM   #551
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Eark
Open stuck windows carefully from outside using a credit card, slipping under the gasket. Once open, lube all window gaskets with 303 Aerospace Protectant. It available from Amazon. Treat all window gaskets every 2 or 3 months and you will not have any more stuck windows.
Russ
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:24 AM   #552
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Russ

Thank you

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:09 AM   #553
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Pagey and Beetle Bob, I know how frustrated you must be and totally understand. I don't understand why we can get better updates from our dealers. I am hoping to see our unit on Friday because we have a big camping trip planned with a lot of friends and thought it would be nice to show off the new rig. We were also hoping to leave for vacation right after, but I don't know if it will be here or not. I also have not been answered by anyone, once the dealer gets the unit, what all do they need to do in order to release it to the consumer. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and know in the end, you will be happy.

Laura & Tom
Old 04-27-2015, 05:33 AM   #554
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The specification for lug nuts with aluminum wheels is 110 lb/ft.
Less than that can result in less than desirable results.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #555
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
Pagey and Beetle Bob, I know how frustrated you must be and totally understand. I don't understand why we can get better updates from our dealers. I am hoping to see our unit on Friday because we have a big camping trip planned with a lot of friends and thought it would be nice to show off the new rig. We were also hoping to leave for vacation right after, but I don't know if it will be here or not. I also have not been answered by anyone, once the dealer gets the unit, what all do they need to do in order to release it to the consumer. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and know in the end, you will be happy.

Laura & Tom
You probably won't like this answer but your dealer needs to do the QC that Airstream fails to do at the factory.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #556
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
We JUST got the call! Our new home is in Tampa! Our dealer has sent pictures and everything appears to be as ordered. Yay!!!!

Sorry for having been so angst ridden.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #557
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
YEA 8;30 this morning and Mike at RV ONE called with pictures of our new home at the lot. Trying to get pictures loaded now. It has arrived. To Al-K4GLU. At the RV show I talked to Tim and the VP in person they told me if I had questions to contact them That is why I did that. Airstream is trying VERY HARD to make the Classic perfect and from what I am reading they are hitting the nail on the head. I will let you know how well next week. WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!!.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #558
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
One other thought. Depending on the type of WD hitch you plan to use if it has a bracket that goes under the frame you will need to make some adjustment to the propane gas line. The gas line is hard mounted to the bottom of the curbside frame. Which means that the u-bolt for the ProPride jacks and centering cross bar can't be installed until the line is dropped and rerouted. I'll take some photos when the weather improves so that you can see the nice job that Colonial did for me.

Saw that they needed to do the same think with an Equalizer on another Classic.

For the ProPride you will need to get a 2 inch 1/2 inch bolt rather than the supplied 3 1/2 inch bolt for the jacks. The supplied bolt is to long to fit between the jack and the battery box.

Also you will need to either carve out a notch in the tank cover on each side so that the side rails on the jacks don't prop up the cover. Or simply trim off the front tab. I trimmed the tab. If the bar were to swing forward, not likely, they would hit the tank regardless. So rather than change the tank cover I trimmed the rail.
Couple of questions concerning your ProPride setup. We have a F250, but I assume the hitch height would be close to your Duramax, what does your hitchbar setup look like? We have the 1400 lb spring bars and I assume you do as well, what have you determined to be the correct height to raise your jacks to? We purchased a new ProPride and had it shipped to the dealer to be installed. We had a ProPride on our 25' and I had installed it myself, but didn't want the hassle of trying to install it on the dealer's lot. If anyone is reading this and considering the same option, I STRONGLY recommend that you read and understand how this unit should be installed. Our hitch is at the highest setting with the "plates" down, we set the jacks at 5", the front fender height was within 1/4" on unloaded height and the trailer/truck looked almost level, maybe a little low in the nose of the trailer. We ran the truck and trailer over a CAT scale on the way home and we were about 150 lbs less on our unloaded front axle, so we're close. One last question, are you running your tire pressure at 80 psi?
Thanks,
Rod & Jane S
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #559
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
OK Go to my gallery and look at the pictures. Internet connection problems at home today and also do not know how to put a picture on this page, Dark leather with light counters.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #560
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Pagey and Beetle Bob, You got yours ahead of mine! Very, very happy for you! I know you are excited beyond belief!!!

Laura & Tom