Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
2015 AS Quality

I am seriously considering a 2015 classic. I have been reading this forumn for 3 months and I am starting to have serious concern that AS quality has become bad.
I have read about new trailers with 60 plus issues and folks having to go to JC either wait 3-5 days or leave the trailer and return. Went thru these issues with a few MH's

The last thing I don't want to do is buy a $100K trailer and have to have it rebuilt.

I expected buying an AS was a quality experience not a potential service concern.

Thoughts please should I cancel out on an AS?

Thanks

Earl

Old 01-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
If you are going to worry about it, yes you should back away. It seems a lot depends on the dealer and how well he does his bit. Ours came from Colonial and had no problems, probably because Colonial inspects and fixes issues. They have a great reputation. Nevertheless, there are enough reports of problems on this forum that indicate quality out of the factory is not perfect.
Larry

Old 01-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Earl if you read some of the posts closely the issues on the one you mention appear to be things that the dealer should have corrected. If I found that many on a new trailer the deal would not get signed. That said most items on my 2014 FC were minor. Only one that really needed to go to the factory was a plugged blackwater tank sprayer.

I went to the factory, two 1/2 day drive for me, because the local dealer has or had only 1 certified tech and a 4+ month wait to get in for service. I made a working trip out of it and had a great time. Not all folks can do that but it worked for me.

It would be nice to think they are perfect but I know of people who have bought the top of the line Class A's from Newmar and Entegra that had similar long lists of items on their $500K+ motorhomes. Funny thing, Entegra offers a delivery service at the factory. Watch the video and learn that they charge $2500 for the service and the techs that do the checkout and punch list have pulled the coaches from the final QA check as the coach is going out the door and when they get it the list is multiple pages long of what they find that needs to be fixed.

And as always on this type of forum or in any marketing class 101 those that have an issue shout very loudly, as they should, but you may not hear from the other 98% that are enjoying their purchase.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, people who had no major problems with their new trailers are not very likely to post, that is just the nature of Forums. Airstreams are hand built and they are pushing them out as fast as they can right now because they are in such high demand. Seems like every now and then, one gets delivered with a big old punch list.

Mine is a 1986. Everything works. I'm the third owner (as far as I know) and I have towed it 60000 some odd miles and camped all over. See a lot of 29 year old any things out there (cars, boats, locomotives...) that still function as well as day one?

Many of the "my new Airstream is full of problems" posts can be laid right at the feet of the delivering dealer. Every system should be op checked and all routine maintenance completed before a buyer sets foot in the rig. Every system should be demonstrated, water run through a every fixture on both the pump and city water, reefer on and cold, oven lights, burners burn, hot water aplenty... But apparently there are some dealers that take your check and toss you the keys.

If you are expecting perfection, don't buy one. If you do decide to buy one make at least a long weekend out of it. Pick it up on a Friday, make them demo that everything works, go camping nearby until Monday. You will have some issues. Roll back to the dealer and get them squared away

Live happily ever after

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
I am seriously considering a 2015 classic. I have been reading this forumn for 3 months and I am starting to have serious concern that AS quality has become bad.
I have read about new trailers with 60 plus issues and folks having to go to JC either wait 3-5 days or leave the trailer and return. Went thru these issues with a few MH's

The last thing I don't want to do is buy a $100K trailer and have to have it rebuilt.

I expected buying an AS was a quality experience not a potential service concern.

Thanks

Earl
Call airstream and ask if they shot their bean counter yet.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Currently Looking...
Felton , California
There is no doubt that A/S is having difficulty meeting production demand and with haste, comes errors. This is not a new issue. I have a 5 year old A/S with evidence of hasty assembly yet nothing functionally wrong. Things are not squared up like I would prefer so I disassemble and reinstall. You're right. You shouldn't pay $100K and still have a list of corrections. You should have a frank talk to the service department at Colonial. If they can handle it locally before delivery, I think A/S is your top choice. This not a new situation. A/S has a new factory in the works that will double production. They currently make about 50 units a week. Give it a couple years and QC should be improved. (Hopefully)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You only reading about the issues various people run into, they are real, but in general I'd say it's a small percentage of the units sold in any given year. This is our third AS, with the first two we did not have a single issue except those brought on by our ignorance, carelessness and or that of someone else. We have not had this one out for a big trip yet but really don't have any concerns. Our selling dealer spends a full day and a half with one and sometimes two technicians checking over the entire unit. Running the various appliances for hours and then they winterize it before we picked it up.

I worry about things going wrong, always have and always will but don't anticipate any real problems. The options we ordered were learned from previous AS we have owned and a motorhome we just sold. We ordered two A/Cs, a 1,000W inverter and a must for me 16" wheels and LT Michelin tires along with two lounge chairs in the front instead of a couch. We did go with the FC as we liked the selections better and liked the two lounge chairs available as an offered option. Looked at the Custom, loved the way it looked but did not want to lose the two small closets on either side of the queen bed.

So, in short, if an AS is what you want I'd say get it, no manufactured product is going to be perfect and no manufactured product being pulled down the road is not going to have issues at one point or another, but I still believe an AS is tops. This comes from one who was GM of a transportation company so I am all too familiar with trying to make a product that moves and must perform. But an RV is a "house on wheels" and that is a tough one to produce without any issues.

Good Luck and Enjoy

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up No....just keep doing your homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post

Thanks

Earl
It's not so much that it's become bad, it's that quality doesn't seem to match the price point.
It didn't in 2004 with our Classic and some will say it's much the same now.
Like most High-end purchases buying an Airstream takes care, a great deal of research and a goodly amount of personal rationalization.

You get what you pay for... OR... you expect more than you get.

Bob
Old 01-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Your absolutely right the quality is not there, I'm going to have quite a list on my 2015 when I go to get the warranty work done , have a look at the fast ass job they did on my window never seen this poor quality on any trailer, there cranking them out ! On the positive side the work I had done on my last airstream at jackson center was very good.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	230921  
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
My '15 Classic is due to the dealer any day now. I've been waiting since last fall, and am anxious to see it. I know (for a fact), that my dealership will do a VERY thorough PPI on it before they'll ask me to sign a check for $100K plus. I also know that when I get it home I will find some things that don't meet my standard. i DO expect all the major systems to work properly, and I know the dealer will have taken care of this as a matter of routine. A bit about "standards" and "quality." Some of this is in the eye of the beholder. Some is the nature of the product. I have a 2015 Mercedes S550 4Matic. I've had it since June. I ordered the car in April. It arrived in perfect condition, and I expected that it would. I do NOT expect the same flawless perfection from my new Classic. i have been to JC 5 times and have done the tour and spent time in the Service Center. The Airstream is hand built and hand fitted. With the exception of a cool laser operated panel cutter, most everything else is done by hand. If you want to see robotics, don't go to JC, go over to Marysville and do the Honda Factory. And, while it may not assuage your angst, go look at the "quality" of new SOB's. My Classic will probably be handed down to my son and grandkids LONG after I'm gone.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
But they have eyes at the factory so how hard would it be to take a clipboard and inspect these hand built trailers.It as not like there are hundreds of completed trailers leaving every day.All they have to do is look at them before it leaves.It is simple quality control.Will they ever be perfect?No they wont and the dealer should do a once over but alot of the things listed are just carelessness items and sloppy workmanship.
Then no final inspection? Nobody at the factory peruses this forum?
In business today there is no excuse for that,I am sorry.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Firedog1

2015 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Do I have some problems YES, am I hoping they all get resolved YES, Not much luck with the dealer so it looks like we are planning a trip to JC. Would I buy another airstream YES, we love it. Do not hesitate to purchase the 2015 Classic.

Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #13
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
But they have eyes at the factory so how hard would it be to take a clipboard and inspect these hand built trailers.It as not like there are hundreds of completed trailers leaving every day.All they have to do is look at them before it leaves.It is simple quality control.Will they ever be perfect?No they wont and the dealer should do a once over but alot of the things listed are just carelessness items and sloppy workmanship.
Then no final inspection? Nobody at the factory peruses this forum?
In business today there is no excuse for that,I am sorry.
Maybe one of us (or maybe several, it sounds like) should go to JC and apply for the Quality Inspector job that isn't open.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
All I can say is I bought my 2015 Serenity from Airstream of Spokane and it has been flawless.

I don't know how much Nick and his crew did to fix issues but I have been using mine since Nov. 2014 and I have absolutely no issues.