Old 09-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
2015-2016 Classic Mattress ??

We are awaiting our 2016 Classic and are so excited. I keep reading various threads in the forums about so many changing out their mattresses or doing various toppers on them. I am curious what all with the 2015-16 are doing regarding your mattresses. Given the mattresses have to bend due to the bed being able to raise at the head, are you able to make changes? Is anyone out there happy with the mattress from the factory? If not, what changes have you made that still allow the bed to raise up at the head? We are going to give the factory mattress a shot but are skeptical and anticipate needing to make some improvements. We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home and LOVE it. I am wondering if a 3" Tempurpedic topper or other 2-3" gel foam topper on top of the factory mattress would work with the bed in the raised position? Thanks for any shared info and thoughts.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hockessin , Delaware
I find the factory mattress to be extremely comfortable. Of course, we only just picked up our 2016 a few days ago, but the mattress has definitely been nice - at least in this short amount of time.

GoingSmwhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We sleep on a Tempurpedic as well and this is what we ordered from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I felt the mattress on the new Classic needed a little more lovin'! We have twins, so we purchases the king and cut it to fit. We sleep like babies!!

Laura & Tom
Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

Caledonia , Michigan
We discovered a local small mattress company in Grand Rapids, MI that makes mattresses. And can custom make to your specs. We met with the owner and laid on a number of his regular size sample beds, and based on our comments and his questions arrived at satisfactory queen short mattress for my wife and I. We brought the old one in (14 FC) and he measured it to fit the length and width exactly as the original one, including the rounded corners on the end, and he built it a wee bit higher but low enough not to cover the outlets in our coach bedroom. Great experience. http://aacawaybedding.com/ Mike is the owner

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-25-2015, 07:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
We sleep on a Tempurpedic as well and this is what we ordered from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I felt the mattress on the new Classic needed a little more lovin'! We have twins, so we purchases the king and cut it to fit. We sleep like babies!!

Laura & Tom
This is what I had in mind. Certainly priced better than the Tempurpedic topper. Do you get hot on this? I assume is light enough no problem elevating the head on the new Classics? Much thanks!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Whatever you finally decide for a mattress, try putting a heated mattress pad on top of it. Sleeping over the unheated trunk makes for a cool dive onto any mattress. Put the heated pad on about 45 minutes before crashing and you'll hit the sack with a smile on your face. LOL
Old 09-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
It doesn't get hot because we bump the a/c down to COLD (we live in Florida)! It is light enough that I have no problem elevating the bed. Getting to the under bed storage (not the drawers but the storage directly under the mattress) is a little difficult, but I don't think the mattress topper has anything to do with that! We sleep like babies! Good luck!

Laura & Tom
Old 09-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
We use Tempurpedic 3 inch toppers on our FC 20 beds and they are great. Id wait and try the Classic mattress by itself first - but you can add the topper if needed.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
We put on a topper from Costco after sleeping on the mattress a couple of nights. With that add-on, it's fine. No issue with the electrical lift, though we honestly don't use it very often. The major downside is that it adds enough weight to make it pretty heavy when you lift up the mattress for the underneath storage...and that gas support rods aren't adequate with the extra weight, so the mattress et. al. will fall on you if you don't hold it up.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
We just received our 2016 Classic about 45 days ago and have slept on the standard twin mattresses every night since then. My wife and I both think the mattresses are very comfortable. We have no desire to change them out or add toppers. I would advise trying them for a few nights before making any decisions.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 31' Classic
Southwest Michigan , Michigan
A new mattress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyjudy View Post
We are awaiting our 2016 Classic and are so excited. I keep reading various threads in the forums about so many changing out their mattresses or doing various toppers on them. I am curious what all with the 2015-16 are doing regarding your mattresses. Given the mattresses have to bend due to the bed being able to raise at the head, are you able to make changes? Is anyone out there happy with the mattress from the factory? If not, what changes have you made that still allow the bed to raise up at the head? We are going to give the factory mattress a shot but are skeptical and anticipate needing to make some improvements. We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home and LOVE it. I am wondering if a 3" Tempurpedic topper or other 2-3" gel foam topper on top of the factory mattress would work with the bed in the raised position? Thanks for any shared info and thoughts.
My wife and I also sleep on a Tempurpedic at home. When we purchased a large 5th wheel toy hauler a few years ago we removed the mattress and replaced it with a new Tempurpedic. When we traded the toy hauler in for our 2014 31' Classic. We removed the mattress from our Airstream and replaced it with the Tempurpedic from the toy hauler. We had to cut down the length of the mattress about 5 inches and round the corners. All I can say is we get a great nights sleep in the trailer, just like we do at home. We couldn't be happier.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
ELECTRIC BED LIFT! The only issue with adding the mattress topper was the extra weight. This weight was sufficient to make it very heavy to lift the bed as the gas struts are inadequate for the poundage. AND, the weight was sufficient to keep the bed from staying up on its own. So, I ordered a motorized actuator from Northern Tool and installed it under the bed. Added a switch to the lower end of the right side valence. Push forward, the bed goes up. Push down, the bed goes down. As usual, the hardest part was finding a 12V battery source and neatly running wires. But, it works really great. (BTW, the actuator will push around 600 pounds...and has limit switches for full up and full down.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3020.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	250542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3021.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	250543  

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452