Old 07-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Bothell , Washington
Windows 2013 23D Flying Cloud

Hello, we just purchased a FC 23D. We had an older style Airstream in the past with crank-out windows, theses new windows are "different".

1. Can't seem to get the larger side windows to stay open in the lowest position. Any tricks or adjustments.

2. The rear escape window has a screen but I see no way to keep it open. Air circulation, front to back, would be nice. Suggestions?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All windows should have a little handle on each side connected to a rod. There is a track on each side that the rod rides up and down in. There are three possible positions/notches you can rest the rod in for three different open positions. A little, a little more, and a lot. You have to push the rods out and then down into a locked position in one of the three notches to make the window stay open in one of the three positions. The rear fire escape window will be the same, except the little knobs are red instead of gray. To actually use the fire escape as such you pull the spline out of the screen and take the screen out.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have a new 2014 FC 20' and the windows are difficult to open but mine stay open in the lowest position. I often have to go outside to do it however. It is a step backwards for Airstream, making the windows almost impossible to open properly without going outside to "assist" them. They are heavy and have very poor leverage from the inside.

The little rear window is a VERY stupid design, as you say, with screen and holes in the glass for the hardware to open it, and catches inside, but no way to open it except prying it up from the outside and proping it open with some home made device. Even my dealer thinks it is stupid. I have not come up with a good solution for it yet, but hope to soon.

While we are bitching, why in earth did Airstream leave off the reversing switches for the Fantastic Fans? They only exhaust, and there are times that intake is good too. The standard FF configuration is for reversing switches, but AS specified only a simple on/off switch on their units, saving perhaps $4 each. I had to pay FF $40 for two new switches with the reversing feature, and take both fans apart to instal them, which was another couple of hours. Why? Why?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Bothell , Washington
Thanks. You're correct. No levers on my back window. Thought I was missing something.

Have to take another look at my side windows. In the lowest position, of 3, the windows just close.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Hello, we just purchased a FC 23D. We had an older style Airstream in the past with crank-out windows, theses new windows are "different".

1. Can't seem to get the larger side windows to stay open in the lowest position. Any tricks or adjustments.

2. The rear escape window has a screen but I see no way to keep it open. Air circulation, front to back, would be nice. Suggestions?

Thanks
Charles, what you're experiencing with the large windows in the newer ASs is not unique to yours. The forum has quite a few posts about this.

I've got the same issue. I was supposed to be at Jackson Center last month, but due to a foot injury I had to cancel. This issue was/is on my punch list.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Carrboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I have a new 2014 FC 20' and the windows are difficult to open but mine stay open in the lowest position. I often have to go outside to do it however. It is a step backwards for Airstream, making the windows almost impossible to open properly without going outside to "assist" them. They are heavy and have very poor leverage from the inside.

The little rear window is a VERY stupid design, as you say, with screen and holes in the glass for the hardware to open it, and catches inside, but no way to open it except prying it up from the outside and proping it open with some home made device. Even my dealer thinks it is stupid. I have not come up with a good solution for it yet, but hope to soon.

While we are bitching, why in earth did Airstream leave off the reversing switches for the Fantastic Fans? They only exhaust, and there are times that intake is good too. The standard FF configuration is for reversing switches, but AS specified only a simple on/off switch on their units, saving perhaps $4 each. I had to pay FF $40 for two new switches with the reversing feature, and take both fans apart to instal them, which was another couple of hours. Why? Why?
Reversing fan switches don't comply with RV safety code.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Bothell , Washington
Glad to hear that I am not alone. I'll make an appointment with the AS dealer and have them check.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Rear window props

We have solved the problem of propping open the rear window with a home made device. My husband pop riveted small clamps to the ends of aluminum angle. We have two different lengths and they work quite well. At first he tried the smallest clamps he could buy but they fell apart very quickly so he purchased better quality clamps which are a bit larger and they work very well to give us good ventilation front to back. The attached pictures show the short ones installed and the long ones lying on the rear bumper.

I am not sure these pictures will work but I will try posting them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	190923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	190924  

uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Nice fix, Nancy. Well done.

I have to admit that our solution is not as elegant... We just prop the window open about 5-6" with a short piece of tree branch with a notch (to catch the glass) that I found in the campsite. (How's that for low-tech? ) We place the base of the stick against the latch mechanism ... that way, if we leave the window propped open at night and it gets too cold in the middle of the night (our window is at the head of the bed), we can turn the latch handle and disengage the stick without having to go outside to close it. (We don't recommend this if it is propped more than 5-6" open.) Then the next morning I go out and find my special stick. I wouldn't want to leave it behind!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Inside AZBambi: AZBambi Décors
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Sbb
begorragirl

2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Speaking of windows, when closing and turning the lat h back, it is near impossible for me to push one side flat to close position. The left side works fine. Is thAt something I need to grease or spray? I pray I never need the egress window, I will get stuck. And while I'm at it my bathroom fAn leaks doing rain, but I see no way of closing it.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCstreamer View Post
Reversing fan switches don't comply with RV safety code.
Why not? What is the problem? Why does the standard Fantastic Fan vent come with them? Why are they available from FF?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
I totally thought our 2012 20ft FC's window in the kitchen was broken or there was a manufacturing issue. I tried opening it and it fell off in my hands, which I don't think should have happened but I also noticed there were no arms or handles to prop it open. I couldn't believe Airstream would put in a window that wouldn't prop open. I guess I'm wrong! Very strange! I've even been in contact with our dealer about our "broken" kitchen window!

As far as the Fantastic fans, we found that if we open both but only run the fan on one, it does a very nice job of pulling the air through the trailer for some nice ventilation.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Window latches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Speaking of windows, when closing and turning the lat h back, it is near impossible for me to push one side flat to close position. The left side works fine. Is thAt something I need to grease or spray? I pray I never need the egress window, I will get stuck. And while I'm at it my bathroom fAn leaks doing rain, but I see no way of closing it.
The latches are adjustable. There are two nuts on the latch mechanism. One of which you have to loosten first. The other you have to either loosten or tighten to make the latch looser or tighter. Then you have to retighten the first nut to to lock it in position. My husband has adjusted ours.

As for the bathroom fan, we have never had any water coming in. Sounds like you have a leak around the fan.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
[QUOTE=RedDogBullet;1326875]I totally thought our 2012 20ft FC's window in the kitchen was broken or there was a manufacturing issue. I tried opening it and it fell off in my hands, which I don't think should have happened but I also noticed there were no arms or handles to prop it open. I couldn't believe Airstream would put in a window that wouldn't prop open. I guess I'm wrong! Very strange! I've even been in contact with our dealer about our "broken" kitchen window!

That sounds like a manufacturing (warranty) problem. Ours is riveted to the trailer at the top with the same hinge as on the side windows. See my post above about our prop system.