Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
LL2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
What year for LEDs?

What year did AS go to LED's as a stock item for the interior of the Flying Cloud 23FB?
LL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have seen them in 2011 models, sometimes they change stuff mid-year during production.

Advisory: They are very bright and a not-so-pleasant bluish color compared to the lights you have, which give a beautiful natural color. I know, the ones you have get really hot and burn out all the time (they're cheap to buy and easy to replace), but it's not a complete upgrade.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
LL2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
Is there a solution? I also understand that the 2012 came with a dimmer... We got out AS at a fair price and were not willing to pass up the deal because of no LED's however, less heat, longer life and less power usage are all big incentives... is there a way to get dimmable led's into a 2010?
LL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
There are plenty of threads on upgrading to LEDs. A recent one is http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...des-88369.html. You can search for others.

I would recommend the warm white LEDs over the "bright white" ones. The bright white ones look extremely blue to me and result in strange colors inside. Sort of like being underwater. Of course, that's my opinion.

If you're unsure, get one replacement for the fixtures you're considering upgrading and see how you like it.

I have gotten LEDs from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS and been pleased. Dan from LEDs 4 RV is a frequent poster on the forums, and they have a great reputation too. Plenty of outer sources, of course.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We replaced all our halogen blubs and incandescent bulbs with LEDs (what a huge difference in power draw and heat!)... Unlike most, we prefer the bright white lights as opposed to the warm lights. But that's purely a matter of personal preference.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll2 View Post
what year did as go to led's as a stock item for the interior of the flying cloud 23fb?

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We replaced all our halogen blubs and incandescent bulbs with LEDs (what a huge difference in power draw and heat!)... Unlike most, we prefer the bright white lights as opposed to the warm lights. But that's purely a matter of personal preference.
Was it the fixture that needed to be replaced or just the bulb itself. We have an Ocean Breeze and would love to reduce heat and power draw; it is the overhead lights I am considering swapping out if it were just the bulbs that I needed to replace, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5401.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	162269  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Was it the fixture that needed to be replaced or just the bulb itself. We have an Ocean Breeze and would love to reduce heat and power draw; it is the overhead lights I am considering swapping out if it were just the bulbs that I needed to replace, thanks.
You don't need to replace the fixture...its a direct switch out of the bulb...easy as pie. The hardest part is getting the ring and the lens off the inset light fixture...Turn the l ight off and let it cool down first...use a sharp knife to pry out the innermost metal ring, which hold the lens...go slow and steady so as not to let the knife slip and scratch the ring or surrounding aluminum (we have an aluminum interior too). When you have it pried open a bit you'll be able to pop it out...be careful not to drop the lens ... sometimes they are loose... Then you will see the halogen bulb...just take it out (they don't like body oil, so use a cloth or paper tissue to grab them)... Replace it with the LED replacement (a flat disk of LED arrays with two prongs that fit where the prongs of the halogen fit)... Test the light before you put the lens back on... Then replace the ring and lens...you'll notice that there is a notched area on the inner side of the ring that needs to fit over a sort of cross bar in the fixture's body...just align that to the ring and press it back in...they stay in by tension. Presto...LED lights!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL2 View Post
What year did AS go to LED's as a stock item for the interior of the Flying Cloud 23FB?

2003 to 2010 are Halogen when it comes to the recessed down or puck lights
Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Just reading through and wondered if anyone knows whether replacement dimable rocker switches are available to upgrade the stock main and bedroom light switches in our 2010 27FB? Ours has LEDs in both locations, and although the light is adequate, we're not planning any surgical procedures!
Richrexw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
dimming LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richrexw View Post
Just reading through and wondered if anyone knows whether replacement dimable rocker switches are available to upgrade the stock main and bedroom light switches in our 2010 27FB? Ours has LEDs in both locations, and although the light is adequate, we're not planning any surgical procedures!
The question is, is the circuit that your lights are on, have a common ground. Most Airstream units (2010 and before) are grounded via the frame, for some of the 12 volt system. LEDs require a isolated circuit.
http://youtu.be/E1mtUyIO-1E

There are some slider style/rocker switches dimmers out there that are PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) dimmers, but if your unit is not wired with a isolated circuit it won't do you any good. We do not carry the slider style dimmers because of the price.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
OK Dan, I'll do some deeper investigation this weekend. Thanks for your response, and I'll get back - probably with more questions.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richrexw View Post
I purchased dimmers from Airstream - cost was a bit over 80 bucks for two 3 years ago - and added them to my 2011 25FB Flying Cloud with no problems. Just make sure you follow the directions for hooking them up.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
one wire or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
I purchased dimmers from Airstream - cost was a bit over 80 bucks for two 3 years ago - and added them to my 2011 25FB Flying Cloud with no problems. Just make sure you follow the directions for hooking them up.
Al, 2011 was the first year that Airstream used LEDs for the overhead lights. Did your unit have two wires coming from the lights or was one wire used and the ground attached to the frame?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
Al, 2011 was the first year that Airstream used LEDs for the overhead lights. Did your unit have two wires coming from the lights or was one wire used and the ground attached to the frame?
Yes I know 2011 was the first year. I simply replaced the switches in mine with the switch/dimmer combo. There are 2 wires and the only thing difficult is making sure you connect the "hot" wire to the correct pin. First year for dimmers was 2012.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Agree, I just ordered complete replacements for all my interior lights from Dan. I did pick up and replace the four reading lights with Warm LEDS from Jackson Center this past week during my visit there. I tested both the warm and bright white replacement pads for the other interior lights. I thought the warm lights were too dim using the stock Airstream frosted light lens. The bright white worked and looked much better in my opinion. Due to the cost of buying 13 replacement pads I bought them from Dan as he currently has them on sale with free shipping. 12 LED replacement pads equals the power draw of 1 OEM bulb with virtually no heat output.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
There's theVAP Episode 213: LED 101 that is worth listening to, they cover this topic as well. Tim and Collin interview M4products.com owner Steve. Both LED web sites are informative and helpful and there's probably more. I'm plugging the VAP pod cast cause the more people listen and participate the better it is! (oh yeah this the year for LED's in our houses and campers!!)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/thevap
JCPOTTERF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
The question is, is the circuit that your lights are on, have a common ground. Most Airstream units (2010 and before) are grounded via the frame, for some of the 12 volt system. LEDs require a isolated circuit.
http://youtu.be/E1mtUyIO-1E

There are some slider style/rocker switches dimmers out there that are PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) dimmers, but if your unit is not wired with a isolated circuit it won't do you any good. We do not carry the slider style dimmers because of the price.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407086871.890306.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407086893.431967.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407086903.602552.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  67.1 KB

Thanks again to you all. Here's some additional info and some pictures that may help. Our rig (2010 27FB) must have been upgraded to LED overheads (Dan, you can probably tell by looking at picture #1), but it does have LED lights everywhere else too, both interior and exterior. That may be the good news?

I included pictures of the reverse side of the entry and BR rockers so maybe someone experienced can comment on the wiring. The living area is controlled by a three way set-up with three yellow wires to both the entry rocker (picture #2) and the BR rocker (picture #3). The BR lights are controlled by the rocker via the two purple wires in picture #3. Appreciate your comments and suggestions.