Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
Al, 2011 was the first year that Airstream used LEDs for the overhead lights. Did your unit have two wires coming from the lights or was one wire used and the ground attached to the frame?
Yes I know 2011 was the first year. I simply replaced the switches in mine with the switch/dimmer combo. There are 2 wires and the only thing difficult is making sure you connect the "hot" wire to the correct pin. First year for dimmers was 2012.

Al - K4GLU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We replaced all our halogen blubs and incandescent bulbs with LEDs (what a huge difference in power draw and heat!)... Unlike most, we prefer the bright white lights as opposed to the warm lights. But that's purely a matter of personal preference.
Agree, I just ordered complete replacements for all my interior lights from Dan. I did pick up and replace the four reading lights with Warm LEDS from Jackson Center this past week during my visit there. I tested both the warm and bright white replacement pads for the other interior lights. I thought the warm lights were too dim using the stock Airstream frosted light lens. The bright white worked and looked much better in my opinion. Due to the cost of buying 13 replacement pads I bought them from Dan as he currently has them on sale with free shipping. 12 LED replacement pads equals the power draw of 1 OEM bulb with virtually no heat output.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
There's theVAP Episode 213: LED 101 that is worth listening to, they cover this topic as well. Tim and Collin interview owner Steve. Both LED web sites are informative and helpful and there's probably more. I'm plugging the VAP pod cast cause the more people listen and participate the better it is! (oh yeah this the year for LED's in our houses and campers!!)
JCPOTTERF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
Lucky Dog
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
The question is, is the circuit that your lights are on, have a common ground. Most Airstream units (2010 and before) are grounded via the frame, for some of the 12 volt system. LEDs require a isolated circuit.

There are some slider style/rocker switches dimmers out there that are PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) dimmers, but if your unit is not wired with a isolated circuit it won't do you any good. We do not carry the slider style dimmers because of the price.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407086871.890306.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407086893.431967.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407086903.602552.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  67.1 KB

Thanks again to you all. Here's some additional info and some pictures that may help. Our rig (2010 27FB) must have been upgraded to LED overheads (Dan, you can probably tell by looking at picture #1), but it does have LED lights everywhere else too, both interior and exterior. That may be the good news?

I included pictures of the reverse side of the entry and BR rockers so maybe someone experienced can comment on the wiring. The living area is controlled by a three way set-up with three yellow wires to both the entry rocker (picture #2) and the BR rocker (picture #3). The BR lights are controlled by the rocker via the two purple wires in picture #3. Appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Richrexw is offline   Reply With Quote