Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
We also would not complain if twins were a regular option in the International series. That costs about $4500 more when ordering a trailer, according to our local dealer.
So it is possible to order twins in an International?

FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member
1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
Dear iflyer, we have done this. Our AS has a walkthru all the way to the back window. The first thing we did was to get a board that is just wide enough to sit on the ledge of the beds. I put two storage totes on top to put my clothes in. (The totes are from Rubbermaid and open top and front side. This has worked very well for a year and a half). Now back to your question. Later I got more of those same width boards (4 or 5) and laid them all the way down the walk thru and put a dinette seat cushion on top. This worked perfectly. Take it down in the morning. Now as you are looking for an AS, frankly I would choose a rear queen be done with it. But this solution does work. Also since ours is an older AS, we store those boards under the dinette seats and that makes that more comfortable (Haha, "comfort table"). Now we are currently considering tearing out the twins and making a queen bed back there. We are thinking a "full" bed with a drop leaf. And again lay the dinette cushions on the extension. In the morning, drop the extension to make more walking around space. Then we would make the bed sitting on a storage box underneath with a "pull up" top like in lots of non-AS RVs. We have this arrangement (the pull up mattress) in our summer camper and like it very much. A lot of work to make this change. We may just sell it and go a different route. But the bridge method does work. We have also stored the boards under the mattresses. Since you are still looking, and if it important to you to have a queen bed so you and your significant other/spouse to sleep so you can reach out and touch him/her all night, then choose a rear queen. Hope this helps in your decision making.

Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
My husband removed the rear twins in our AS & added a king size 14.5 memory foam mattress & it sleeps great. Making the bed is tough but worth it. He also removed the original AS sofa & added a recliner love seat so we have a comfortable living area & a good sleeping area.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Well, we all certainly have lots of ideas! Just reading through, some posts nay say twins. The part about sleeping with your wife has some merit though ironically in my extended family as my aunts have gotten older, they have moved to twins for themselves and their husbands. The bedroom isn't that big so technically you are sleeping with them - just musing. On the matter of curved end, It really is a mute point with the exception of people with really large heads. The bed is pretty much half a king bed by measure. It says 34x78 but mine with the wall gap measures 36x80 (side to edge/wall to wall).

I just believe that it is the most practical setup for an Airstream- a no slides trailer, for the most part.

Speaking of layouts and twins, etc., as a mostly solo traveler I would really like to customize my AS but I get cold feet thinking about the $$$ and the resale changed up. My dream would be to turn one of the beds into a murphy-type setup doubling as an office, change out the under bed storage bins to something easier to get to, Flip the bath door around or flip the commode with shower to create a multi-purpose bathroom/hall combination with the door acting as privacy, Redo the from lounge area to incorporate a small wrap-around seating with a loose euro recliner on the door side- perfect. My measures show that I could at least gain seating for 1-2 more people. Right now I can sleep 3 and seat three adults.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that in many models that support the twin bed option, one could order a custom longer mattress from a third party. In our Classic, the mattresses could easily be 10" longer or 88".
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member
1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
Hey everyone, I wrote a post on the subject of rear twin v. Queen in May of last year. My how time flies. When we arrived in Myrtle Beach (the very best place on the East Coast to winter over that is the furthest north), I said, "I want to convert to the Queen bed." So dear Harry acquiesced. We did not rip out the drawers. We just built up the beds and made it level, put the original twin mattresses on top, added a two inch Temperpedic-style foam topper. We started out using a top sheet but have since ditched it. Now we just use one of the twin duvets (they are very wide) with a down comforter. This has worked in general and down to 30 degrees. We are pleased with this configuration. I did not like using the drawers under the beds because of moisture problems. Things always seemed to feel damp to me. Now in the extra space left (about as wide as the walkway was) we put two lightweight plastic 5 drawer chests on my side by the windows. This is dry storage. Overall, we like the way it is now. Now someone else, some FO (future owner) may want the twins. They are still there.
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Here's my CAD model of an Airstream 19' Bambi with twin beds. I modeled this up for a friend who has a 16' Bambi and said "If they made a 19" w/twins I'd be all over it" so here ya go...

I put this on a PowerPoint doc for easy viewing but can't upload PowerPoint's to this forum apparently so tried to transfer to a Word doc, too large of a file so trying a few as jpg's. We'll see if that'll upload...and be viewable...

Cincinnati, OH

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ella's 19' Twin Bambi.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	255736
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin Bambi III.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	255738[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin Bambi II.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	255737  
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #64
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Alan, that is a terrific design! I'd be all over that one too!

Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #65
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Weaverville , California
Twins offer more floor space. No overhangs to bonk you head on at night. The night stand is handy. A foam topper is a must for the twins. I can read at night without keeping my better half awake, which pays big dividends in the morning! Bedroom makes a nice changing area.
J and D
JandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 AM   #66
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi
2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Can't do that floorplan. Makes too much sense. Actually, the counter space being non-existant is a problem. You'd need a pull-out, fold-up or something. It would be possible to put a fold-down by the sink over the one seat...

renderit is offline   Reply With Quote