Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
What did you learn....

What did you learn on your first outing with your Airstream? We are prepping for our shake down cruise this weekend and, although we know there will be some surprises, we are trying to prep as much as we can. Any advice is welcome!

silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Use plenty of water in toilets.

2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Before camping - read the Airstream manual front to back 3 times. Read your tow vehicle manual 3 times. Read the guide for newbies 3 times.

Have patience. Go slow. GOAL (get out and look). If you're not sure - stop! Laugh. It's camping - much better than a day in the office. If a crowd gathers to watch you back in to your site, don't let it fluster you - stay focused and when you're done, take a bow. Have and use checklists.
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
We pick up our 27FB on Monday, June the 2nd. We will report on our discoveries!
wrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Picking ours up in two weeks. So prowling the forum for information. Consider bringing a set of spare keys.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Depends upon how familiar are you with towing any trailer. But I learned how helpful it is to have a spotter on the ground when I am trying to park.

Usually, Load up your trailer early.. tow it around out the control and braking operation, turning, etc. before you load up family.

Practice parking ... etc..

As for 'learning'... I learn new 'lessons' over and over... and over

Be patient.. remember, you want to be having fun... Stress can cause errors faster than you can imagine.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
We learned that we didn't know diddly about anything even remotely related to owning a motorhome.
My New Blog Project:
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
SteveSueMac is right ! And if all else fails, open a bottle of wine , drink it and re-access the situation. The world always looks better through the lens of a great Cabernet.
wrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
What did you learn on your first outing with your Airstream?
We learned that we love Airstreaming!

(That was 11 years ago--and we're still Airstreaming. A lot of miles under the wheels since then.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Use plenty of water in toilets.
But don't forget to lower the toilet water and lower the lid before you travel, otherwise you'll have water all over the floor.
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I'm new here too. We picked up our 27FB n Covington, WA. on 5/15/14 but we (unfortunately) haven't had time to use it yet. I'm not new to RVing (I bought my first travel trailer in 1990) but I am new to Airstreaming. I am close to retirement and I (we) can't think of anything else.

BTW, purchasing this Airstream was one of the most positive experiences we've ever had.
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You should use checklists, the ones in the book are a good start. Then make sure you do walk arounds without hurry or distractions. Walk around inside and out after you hitch, before you unhitch, before you hitch again, and after you hitch up to leave the campground. Until this stuff becomes second nature, you will find things you did not do.
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master
a race that you need to lose

It seems like every other driver on the road is going to want to get in front of you, often thwarting your attempt to leave safe stopping distance in front of you. ( one lady kept passing me, but she wanted to drive 10-15 mph under the speed limit. This went on for more than an hour, so I stopped for a long lunch )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Check for clearance, Clarence

Watch your overhead clearance. You're used to driving your TV and not worrying about tree limbs and such, the AS is much higher. When we brought our AS home there was a small limb stuck in the Zip Dee awning and a few scrapes on the front cap that came out with a little Walbernize wax. We were lucky.

My wife is the ground guide. We tried walkie-talkies but she's technically challenged, so she just yells (make sure a window is open ). Stop and go walk the area you're going to back into so you know about overhead stuff, dips, soft spots, etc. Go slow and listen for glass breaking.

Go slow with everything, especially the road. I run about 60-65 because I get better gas mileage, I'm within the max speed for ST tires (65), the rig handles better and riding in the slow lane lets me enjoy the trip as well as the destination. "I'm retired, I ain't in no hurry no more."

Take all the manuals with you. The PO of our trailer gave us the Airstream tote bag with lots of reading material. It's the perfect time to read about the equipment while you use it. There is a LOT to learn, like the crossover valve on the hot water heater, turning on the furnace / AC, using the stove, holding tanks, toilet, etc. Learn about the WD hitch and its nuances.

Read this forum and you'll learn about stuff even before you knew it existed. I can't tell you how valuable it's been. Everyone on here is extremely helpful with quick responses to your questions. That includes not only the mechanical aspects of Airstreaming but "Life on the road" as well; very important.

Finally, know that things will go wrong, eventually. One of my favorite saying is from Major Sidney Freedman on the old M.A.S.H. TV show. "Sometimes you just have to pull down your pants and slide on the the ice". Take it easy, mull it over, discuss it and then take your best guess on how to overcome it. Remember, it's supposed to be fun, enjoy it.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote