Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to hear that. I wonder if the A/C condensation tube is blocked (hornets nest?) or installed with a crimp? Makes for a disappointing orientation, that's for sure!

Only saving grace buying new (which is why we did in 2012) is that stuff like this gets addressed under warranty.

Everyone's mileage varies but if it were me, I'd renegotiate a few bucks off if they'd fix it and continue to honor the 2 year warranty post-repair.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I'd walk away fro that particular unit. If water got into the insulation between panels and mould starts to grow, you've got a big problem. I saw that scenario in a 6 month old AS at JC in March and the owners were having one side completely gutted and rebuilt. They were not happy campers. I'd say you dodged a bullet that day.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
CanonFan, I agree you were lucky the problem revealed itself before you bought it. Airstreams and all RV's can have problems from factory build, transportation to dealer, and events while on the lot. Some of us have been lucky to get defect-free Airstreams from the dealers and some not. Most agree once they have the initial issues worked out, they love their Airstreams. The low VOC quality is also very important to us with chemical sensitivities; we slept and lived great in it immediately and it was delivered fresh from the factory.

As mentioned, I would also pass on this particular unit. Wait for one that you can go over with a fine-toothed comb and find few to no problems. Just a note on the 20 from our two years with one. As a weekender and vacation traveler, and the large space allocation to food preparation is important to you, it is a great choice. If you will do extended travel for months, you will realize it has no living room and a pretty small bed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Walk away from it we did. The tech showed us what happened. It seems there are two condensation drip pans (one on either side of the A/C). There is a drain tube leading from each drain pan that connects to a single drain tube via a "T" or "Y" connector. Well, this connector is situated directly above one of the Return air vents. What happened was that the drain hoses from each drain pan were fastened to the connector via a clamps. Unfortunately, the tube that then carries the water to the wheel well was NOT clamped (or not even connected?). I was amazed by how much water poured out of the vent. The tech explained that thewater from the drain pan doesn't just constantly drip down the hose; he said the pan fills partially ans then forced water down the tube. Not sure I understand that or how it works, but that's what he said.

We have never owned an RV before - this was to be our very first and we were very excited. As stated before, we need something with the lowest VOCs and will allow us to camp in a manner and in the places we would like. We really like staying in our National Parks and our research shows that rig sizes are very limited at most campgrounds (other than the large "parking lot" style campgrounds). For example Other than Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, all the really nice campgrounds in the interior of Yellowstone have a maximum combined length of 40 feet. Well, my TV is slightly over 19' and the FC 20 is just under 21' making my combined length barely legal.

DKottum - Yes, the galley is a big plus for us as we would be cooking all of our meals (my wife has so many food allergies that we prefer to prepare our own meals). Our trips are expected to range in length of just a 2 or 3 nights up to maybe 2 to 3 weeks - We do not anticipate any trip longer than that. If we get adventurous to be gone months at a time, then we'll consider a larger trailer. But for now, we don't know if we will even proceed - our disillusion with Airstream is so complete right now.
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonFan View Post
. . .
But for now, we don't know if we will even proceed - our disillusion with Airstream is so complete right now.
Thanks for this report, CanonFan, and sorry that your first experience with Airstream had to highlight the company's inconsistent quality control. I will be checking our new FC20 soon for similar problems.

What model year was the FC20 you looked at, if you know, 2014, 2015, or 2016?

Thanks again,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Don't be too disappointed. Things like this happen. Actually, be happy it happened while at the dealer so they can fix it.

Airstreams, like anything made by man, are imperfect. But somewhere i read that 70% of all Airstreams ever made are still on the road. You don't see people spending thousands restoring white box trailers. Airstreams are built to last. Yes, some have issues, and many who have issues come to this board to get help. So hanging around here it seems like there's a lot of problems. But that's like going into a hospital and asking "anyone sick in here?".

It is up to you whether to buy this unit or wait until you find another. You may find another that has even more issues that you won't see for weeks, months, or years after you get it. Whatever you do, don't become discouraged. This is part of trailer life. Things like this happen. Shake it off, and look forward to your next adventure. Good luck!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
OTRA15 - This is a new 2016 model. Manufacture date is January 2016.
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Don't be too disappointed. Things like this happen. Actually, be happy it happened while at the dealer so they can fix it.

Airstreams, like anything made by man, are imperfect. But somewhere i read that 70% of all Airstreams ever made are still on the road. You don't see people spending thousands restoring white box trailers. Airstreams are built to last. Yes, some have issues, and many who have issues come to this board to get help. So hanging around here it seems like there's a lot of problems. But that's like going into a hospital and asking "anyone sick in here?".

It is up to you whether to buy this unit or wait until you find another. You may find another that has even more issues that you won't see for weeks, months, or years after you get it. Whatever you do, don't become discouraged. This is part of trailer life. Things like this happen. Shake it off, and look forward to your next adventure. Good luck!
Fifty+ years ago, I drove B.M.C. AUTOS, (Austin and MGB) and they always broke down costing me much time and coin.
So my next two purchases were Volvo's; (122s and a 142E) I damned near went bankrupt with those two. (Which is why I was never able to afford to get a Commercial Pilot''s Licence.) [And they "lasted 11 years in Sweden??" Not Canada!]
Volkswagen 412 similar.
Years later; I had two Subaru's, (Legacy and Outback), then Toyota's. (4-Runner and Capri) , and now a Ford F-150 Ecoboost.
EVERY one of these later cars came from the factory and EVERYTHING worked. No snags. Marvelous!
So WHY cannot a 'top-of-the-line' trailer like Airstream, not do the same????
I'm reading a hell of a lot of 'leaking' threads here; my NEW 25'FC leaked under the sink for three visits to CanAm before they were able to fix-it! (Along with other water issues.)
I can hardly wait to take delivery of my NEW 30' FC next week, (mid-May) to see what surprises are in store for me.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, with all the leak threads I too am concerned so I got a Sonin moisture meter for when I pickup my AS. Can't hurt. Trust but verify.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"EVERY one of these later cars came from the factory and EVERYTHING worked. No snags. Marvelous!
So WHY cannot a 'top-of-the-line' trailer like Airstream, not do the same????"

I think it's because Airstreams are entirely assembled by hand, later cars are not for the most part. And always will be I imagine, they measure production in hundreds, Toyotas and Fords in tens of thousands.

And travel trailers are more like houses than automobiles, that would be a better comparison. Put axles under your house and drag it around the country and see what leaks, breaks, and comes unfastened.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
[QUOTE= As stated before, we need something with the lowest VOCs and will allow us to camp in a manner and in the places we would like. We really like staying in our National Parks and our research shows that rig sizes are very limited at most campgrounds (other than the large "parking lot" style campgrounds). For example Other than Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, all the really nice campgrounds in the interior of Yellowstone have a maximum combined length of 40 feet. Well, my TV is slightly over 19' and the FC 20 is just under 21' making my combined length barely legal.

[/QUOTE]

Smart choice in moving on from that particular AS. Please don't give up on an AS experience. I just travelled in my new 26U for a month and I'm loving the rig more every day. I've got a few cosmetic issues to straighten out....only a couple for JC to work on as I fixed a few of them on my own. Thank goodness no leaks and an air conditioner that works as it should. There's the perfect AS out there for you....

Also...In my opinion, you're reading too much into the above Quote. I could be wrong, but the main issue is the "length" of the travel trailer when it comes to fitting a rig into a campsite. Seldom do you leave your tow vehicle hooked up to the trailer in a campsite, it's usually parked off to the side or on an angle at the front.

If your quote was factual....non of those monstrous 5th wheel rigs and there tow vehicles would never get passed the main campsite gate.

Many of us here feel the 25' AirStreams to be the ideal length for dealing with the various length regulations campgrounds tend to post, but seldom enforce.

Take a look at the new 2016 model 26U.....you might just say that's the one for us.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Fifty+ years ago, I drove B.M.C. AUTOS, (Austin and MGB) and they always broke down costing me much time and coin.
So my next two purchases were Volvo's; (122s and a 142E) I damned near went bankrupt with those two. (Which is why I was never able to afford to get a Commercial Pilot''s Licence.) [And they "lasted 11 years in Sweden??" Not Canada!]
Volkswagen 412 similar.
Years later; I had two Subaru's, (Legacy and Outback), then Toyota's. (4-Runner and Capri) , and now a Ford F-150 Ecoboost.
EVERY one of these later cars came from the factory and EVERYTHING worked. No snags. Marvelous!
So WHY cannot a 'top-of-the-line' trailer like Airstream, not do the same????
I'm reading a hell of a lot of 'leaking' threads here; my NEW 25'FC leaked under the sink for three visits to CanAm before they were able to fix-it! (Along with other water issues.)
I can hardly wait to take delivery of my NEW 30' FC next week, (mid-May) to see what surprises are in store for me.
Had my new 30' FC out twice now, last one for five days.
EVERYTHING WORKED! No leaks anywhere.
I told the dealer that I wanted everything working on this one, or no deal.
He came through fine, so far.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Somerville , Massachusetts
Help. It’s leaking down the inside wall of my 16’ Bambi
Airstream trailer. It’s a 2016 and pouring outside ??? I tried duct taping the seams on the inside but the leak just moved
somer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by somer128 View Post
Help. It’s leaking down the inside wall of my 16’ Bambi
Airstream trailer. It’s a 2016 and pouring outside ??? I tried duct taping the seams on the inside but the leak just moved
You're going to need to find the source of the leak. Once the water penetrates from outside, you can't fix it by trying to stop it on the inside. Start by checking the vents, windows, awning attachment points, seams etc. above where you think it is coming from. Look for bad or missing caulking. You could also have a loose or missing rivet, or a leak at one of the lights.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
You're going to need to find the source of the leak. Once the water penetrates from outside, you can't fix it by trying to stop it on the inside. Start by checking the vents, windows, awning attachment points, seams etc. above where you think it is coming from. Look for bad or missing caulking. You could also have a loose or missing rivet, or a leak at one of the lights.

I just fixed a leak in my TT. Was a super small crack in the caulk by the skylight. Was only discoverable as a stain after I had scraped all the old caulk away. Used Airstreams caulk kit for repairs.

Also. Mineral spirits is a crest cleaner in prepping for new caulk.
2008AS is offline   Reply With Quote