Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Do you have a picture?
I thought that question might come up. I posted some pictures at the time we did the modification, but that was years ago. You can see from the pictures that we also gave ourselves a little more counter space. It is amazing what a difference that made.

Tim

Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
We use a black circular "oil drain" pan from the local auto parts supplier. Fits well in the circular bottom and is only about 4" deep. Therefore, you can't put too much water in it before it overflows. When possible, we then empty it outside.

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
I thought that question might come up. I posted some pictures ............
BTW, that sure looks beautiful.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
I've been loving my CCD single round sink.
I wipe off the dirty dishes with a paper towel starting with the cleanest to the dirty big pot last. Putting the big pot into the round sink - it fits!! Then a bit of hot soapy water in the big pot will get the smallest dishes washed. Rinsing in a trickle of hot water, the extra water will help clean up the big dishes, and finally the pot.

As we boondock alot for days at a time, we are very water frugal. When I get home, any running water makes me feel wasteful!

With our 1955 Flying Cloud, the sink is rectangular and much smaller than my big pasta/chili/casserole pot - Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plattsburgh NY 2010-09-24 016 compressed forums.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	127041  

http://byams55flyingcloud.blogspot.com/
Byams55FlyCl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We are in a 19' Bambi so there is virtually no counter space except for the table. When we wash dishes we clean the stove first, then close the cover over the burners...then we use a piece of flexible rubbery shelf lining material over the stove top (it's sorta like thin foam rubber, but with a smooth surface that doesn't absorb water), draping one end of it over the sink's edge so any stray water goes into the sink..its' sort of a low-tech dish drainer tray (you could actually use a small drainer tray with a lip positioned to splill into the sink)...then we wash dishes in the dish tub and place them in the sink for rinsing with the sprayer. We put the clean, rinsed dishes on a towel on the table, dry them and put them away. We can then either dump the wash water on a needy bush outside or down the drain. We dry out the wash tub,dry off the rubbery shelf liner, roll it up and stash it somewhere. Dishes done!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We are in a 19' Bambi so there is virtually no counter space except for the table. When we wash dishes we clean the stove first, then close the cover over the burners...then we use a piece of flexible rubbery shelf lining material over the stove top (it's sorta like thin foam rubber, but with a smooth surface that doesn't absorb water), draping one end of it over the sink's edge so any stray water goes into the sink..its' sort of a low-tech dish drainer tray (you could actually use a small drainer tray with a lip positioned to splill into the sink)...then we wash dishes in the dish tub and place them in the sink for rinsing with the sprayer. We put the clean, rinsed dishes on a towel on the table, dry them and put them away. We can then either dump the wash water on a needy bush outside or down the drain. We dry out the wash tub,dry off the rubbery shelf liner, roll it up and stash it somewhere. Dishes done!
We, too, have very limited counter space in our galley kitchen, but found a very cool and reasonably priced 2-burner cover at one of those Kitchen Collection stores in the outlet malls. They come in several colors.

It is glass, looks like grey-black marble that goes nicely with the counter top and is on little legs that have no-slip plastic on the bottom so we don't have to put it up as we drive. Adds counter space and covers the burners so every speck of dust or crumb on their black selves doesn't show.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I use the Dawn Direct Foam soap in the pump bottle. The foam dish soap, like the foam hand soaps, rinses with less water. The pump also turns to the side for tidy storage.

I generally pump it on a cloth or sponge and skip filling a vessel. I will catch water in the largest item for soaking silverware and smaller items while I wash the larger pieces.

If I have used my large bowl or fry pan I will fill it with water and a pump or two to use as a sink and rinse in the real sink.

I loved the deep round bowl in my CCD. In my Westy I have a very tiny shallow sink/range combo. I use the same technique.

I air dry my dishes on a terry towel and hand dry with a sack cloth towel.

The foam dish soap is the real water saver in my dish washing. It has compact packaging and doubles as hand soap. Perfect for an RV.
Dawn Direct Foam
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Just want to thank everyone for sharing ideas. So thank you for the help!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird's Nest View Post
I use the Dawn Direct Foam soap in the pump bottle. The foam dish soap, like the foam hand soaps, rinses with less water.Dawn Direct Foam
My choice too, except I have found soap too concentrated, dilute with water and then use the sponge technique, hardest part of rinsing off soap is much easier. You can easily tell when to add more soap, helps slow down the grey tank fillup while boondocking.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
I usually use the countertop to stack clean plates, after washing, then someone dries them off before putting them away.

I do like having two sinks - a plastic bucket in each - waste water ends up benefiting the environment afterwards.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Just a reminder, dumping water from the sink or any other graywater into the environment is not legal in California and some other localities.

Tim
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Just a reminder, dumping water from the sink or any other graywater into the environment is not legal in California and some other localities.

Tim
But it's alright to let your dog pi$$ on theground?
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I didn't say that I think the laws are logical, just that they exist!

Tim
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Well, dog pee is all organic. Check out what your dish soaps are made from. Most likely you're dumping petroleum into the ground.