Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Two Questions; Flying Cloud 27FB - 2010

We purchased a 2010 27FB Flying Cloud in late April. We have driven around 2800 miles in three trips. I have two questions.

The first is about using the air conditioner. We live in a micro climate where 80 degrees is a heat wave; we have no air conditioner in our home. Our previous rvs were without air conditioning. Our last trip, in Sacramento Ca. called for using the a/c. This may be elementary, but, do we close all the windows, fantastic fans and then turn on the a/c? Do we need to turn the a/c fan to high to get the needed relief (as some other threads suggest)? We kept the fan to the lower range and it didn't seem to do a great job of cooling. We purchased the total awning package and had them deployed. Any cooling advice from folks with more experience? Thanks!

Second question: During our introductory tour from the RV dealer, we were advised to avoid using the accordian doors because they worked poorly and were difficult (it was suggested impossible) to return to their original folded and secured position. Generally, there will be just the two of us and the doors won't be required. However, we may have company down the road. Are the doors as poorly designed as was suggested by the rep? We have been hesitant to use them.

Thanks as always; Mary D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 05 29_3681_edited-1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	109017  
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi mary

yes the accordian door is flimsy, but there is NO harm in trying it.

it is easy to close but tricky to latch.

better to try it now, than wait till it is needed.

YES close the windows and vents and door when using the AC...

unless u need to cool the great outdoors.

btw good looking rig and it appears to be very well setup...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You can start you AC on high fan if you feel it helps cool the space better. It won't hurt anything. Then when you are comfortable and the space is fairly cooled you can turn it down or to "auto" (which is where we run ours all the time...of course a Bambi has a small space to cool, so depending on the size of your rig, you may need time to get it comfortable.

The full awning package helps a great deal...we have that too...and wouldn't be without it in AZ...

Some people put reflective material in their windows, vista views and skylights... to reflect heat away. This help insulate in summer and in winter...

In warm weather halogen lights add a lot of heat ...switching to LED lighting will eliminate that source of intense heat...it's surprising hoe much heat those little halogen bulbs generate...they'll burn you if you touch them or the lens over them...not so with LEDs.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Re my two questions

2Air and TB, thank you for the quick responses and the helpful suggetions.

2Air, re the accordian doors, has anyone come up with a good solution for securing the doors if the original system fails? I would hate to resort to good old duct tape, but you wouldn't want the doors flopping around in transit...

Thanks Mary D.
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Round Hill , Virginia
Cool accordian doors

we have a flying cloud 2010 25fb, the accordian doors work fine, just be careful "folding" em back in, kinda like refolding a map or fan

chu
zimchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Hi Mary, we have a 2010 27fb as well, and have used the accordian doors several times, with no problems getting them out and re-stored. RV accordian blinds and doors are notorious for not wanting to fold correctly, but take it slow. One thing I have noted with the 27fb, is that AS made a niche for both of the folding doors to reside when not in use, which in other units was not the case.

We want to put window tinting on the inside of the pano window in the back, but was wondering if anyone has done this, and how do you work around placing the film on the complex shape of the corner windows?

Have fun with your 27fb, we are!
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
oops, 2011, not 2010 27fb, type too fast for my brain!
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
Hi Mary, we have a 2010 27fb as well, and have used the accordian doors several times, with no problems getting them out and re-stored. RV accordian blinds and doors are notorious for not wanting to fold correctly, but take it slow. One thing I have noted with the 27fb, is that AS made a niche for both of the folding doors to reside when not in use, which in other units was not the case.

We want to put window tinting on the inside of the pano window in the back, but was wondering if anyone has done this, and how do you work around placing the film on the complex shape of the corner windows?

Have fun with your 27fb, we are!
IMHO, unless you're VERY patient and very handy (and willing to rip it off and do it over two or three times) PAY a professional to put on that wretched window film. I've seen many BADLY messed up jobs on even flat surfaces. There are probably films that are less rigid and more suitable for curvy windows.

Before you do film the windows, do consider the possible negatives. Camping in winter or early spring/late fall, you might actually appreciate both the light and thermal gain from full sunlight.

I suspect that it might be possible to fabricate removable "sunglasses" for that big triple window. I've seen people make foam bubble inserts for the inside to insulate during the winter. Sometimes wished I'd done the same, but prefer the sunlight to the dark. I know you can get roll up window blinds with a smoke plastic film similar to the permanent stuff you install on windows. If you could find that, you should be able to cover the outside windows and secure the shade with a few snaps or even 3M Command Strips. Because of the curvature of the A/S and the windows, the piece wouldn't be a straight cut. A pattern could be made out of butcher's paper or brown wrapping paper. Shape would be something like the outline of a painted on clown smile.

Ideas... Internet or a local drapery and blind shop?

Paula
Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Love my blackout shades...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
I look to see how hot it is inside and outside the trailer. Most of the time when I travel during the day and it's hot out, the inside is warmer than the outside. If it is, I use the fan on exhaust and open a back window to draw the air through for a while and run the back AC to pull the cold air through. Once it starts to feel comfortable I turn on the front AC for more direct airflow to where we're at. Most of the time just the awnings out and the fan running have done quite well into the low 80's but that's a personal preference and also depends on humidity. I also keep the shades/curtains closed when its really hot and that helps quite a bit.

Also, you might get yourself a small in/out thermometer. I got one from walmart for like $10 and it includes humidity. I run the wired probe out one of the window handles and dangle it outside the glass pane when we're stationary. They have wireless ones too, but I didn't want to change batteries. I trust this more than the one built in to the sensor panel, and knowing it does in and out through the same unit gives me a bit more confidence. Some things (like the digital thermostat I installed) seem to be off by more than just a few degrees compared to the panel.

Tags
2010 flying cloud