Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

TV operation

Does anyone know how to operate the tv's? We cannot figure it out. We cannot find any instructions, and we have a 25 ft flying cloud with two lovely tv's, but can't make them operate. We are at a RV park, have the cable hooked up, and get nothing but static on all the channels. This can't be right.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Do a channel scan. You will need to do this every time you arrive at a new destination, whether you use cable or antenna. Hit the menu button on the remote and follow your nose.

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Also, make sure that the little button (signal booster)in the plate behind the TV is pushed in ( on). Also when you are not using the RV, make sure you remember to push it off( current draw).

George
Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Also, make sure that the little button (signal booster)in the plate behind the TV is pushed in ( on). Also when you are not using the RV, make sure you remember to push it off( current draw).

George
Oops, just re-read your post and noticed you said cable. You only need the booster for antenna, so maybe check that the button is out(off)

George
Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Also since you have Internet access you can go to the TV makers web site and down load the specific manual for your model. I have done that for all the electronics and systems on my trailer. Much better information than what is provided by Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodies View Post
Does anyone know how to operate the tv's? We cannot figure it out. We cannot find any instructions, and we have a 25 ft flying cloud with two lovely tv's, but can't make them operate. We are at a RV park, have the cable hooked up, and get nothing but static on all the channels. This can't be right.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Did you get the scan to work? Did you check the position of the small push button behind the main TV above the outlet?

George
Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You never mentioned what year your trailer is or where you are located.

If you are not getting a picture when connected to cable you need to make sure that your antenna booster is turned off. Then make sure that the little cable jumper is connected to the face plate below the dining table, that is if you have a later model 25.

If you are getting just a blue screen then you need to scan for channels as people have mentioned. If all you see is static, I don't think that scanning is going to help.

Last spring I was in Walla Walla, WA hooked up to cable and could not get anything. The owner of the park told me that our state had just passed some regulations about how parks could "sell" their cable to the customers. The cable companies require that each connection have its own cable box. Before, the cable box was in the office and all the outlets functioned just fine. Now, the park owner had to come up with something like $200 for each box. He purchased 5 and made these available to customers with just a $20 deposit that was refunded when the box was turned in. What a scam by our beloved monopolistic cable company.

Let us know how it is going.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Make sure in the TV menu channel scan is set to cable and not antenna.

Kelvin
Old 01-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
You never mentioned what year your trailer is or where you are located.

If you are not getting a picture when connected to cable you need to make sure that your antenna booster is turned off. Then make sure that the little cable jumper is connected to the face plate below the dining table, that is if you have a later model 25.

If you are getting just a blue screen then you need to scan for channels as people have mentioned. If all you see is static, I don't think that scanning is going to help.

Last spring I was in Walla Walla, WA hooked up to cable and could not get anything. The owner of the park told me that our state had just passed some regulations about how parks could "sell" their cable to the customers. The cable companies require that each connection have its own cable box. Before, the cable box was in the office and all the outlets functioned just fine. Now, the park owner had to come up with something like $200 for each box. He purchased 5 and made these available to customers with just a $20 deposit that was refunded when the box was turned in. What a scam by our beloved monopolistic cable company.

Let us know how it is going.
Same thing in a park in Lakeside Oregon this winter. Ridiculous. And the reception was still lousy.

George
Old 01-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
TV's change over the years, so the connection may be different. Some later models came with 2 TV's I believe, but that isn't much help. It is easier to help if you let us know the model and year of the trailer and the brands of the TV's.

On our '08 TV, there are 2 places to attach the coaxial cable that comes out of the wall. One is for cable and the other for the roof antenna. I had to move it from one to the other every time I went to a campground with a different set up. Then I got a splitter and 2 short pieces of coax and attached the modification to both TV antenna inputs. Our TV is a Samsung. Sony's were also installed in Airstreams in '07 when the trailer was made and I don't know if those also had the 2 inputs. Anyway, check out the back of the TV to see if you have 2 antenna inputs.

If your TV's are older, they may not be digital and don't work now. You need a converter for that.

As for the individual cable boxes required in some places, we ran into that in Homer, Alaska in 2010. A bulky box that we had to get from the campground office and return before we left. Everyone hated this. Now that Grand Junction has a new cable company (Charter), people had to get a box for every TV. People in GJ have had continual problems with Charter TV, phone and internet and the city is looking into their own internet system. The boxes are for when the cable company converts everything to digital I think. We have Dish for TV at home and you need multiple boxes for HD for every TV. Then you get more rental fees. I have found that SD on a modern TV is not much different than HD, so they can keep their boxes.

Gene
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
We had the same problem on our maiden voyage. I selected cable and did the scan and it still didn't work until I located a button on the back of the television (lower left side) and pushed it in.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Thanks. We have two tv's. Our model is 2014 Flying Cloud 25 FB. Our tv's are Samsung.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Same here.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rogersville , Alabama
I just read on another forum, that on some AS's that have both Cable & Sat hookups outside that the coax were reversed at the factory. Cable is Sat & Sat is Cable. If you have both outside, try reversing you cable input.