Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
After reading some of the posts I thought I should respond to some of the questions and responses.
For the 3+ years that I have been selling the TST system I have yet to need a repeater. I've actually talked several customers out of purchasing a repeater with the offer to send them one if they need it. Many of them have had other systems where they needed the repeater. I have put many systems on 45 foot motor homes pulling a towed vehicle behind the motor home and still haven't needed a repeater. If you did need one they are $59.00.

On the question of sensor accuracy, the accuracy is +\- 1.5psi. This is much better than the mechanical gauges and as good or better than any of the digital gauges. I have two high end commercial gauges that I don't even use anymore.

Regarding the flow through sensors. The flow through and the cap sensors are the same price and are interchangeable. I prefer the cap sensors because they do not require metal stems. Metal stems are better than rubber stems and certainly you should have your rubber stems replaced with metal stems when you have new tires installed. The flow through sensor anti-theft mechanism is much more difficult to use. It requires very small set screw and wrench and definitely needs to be removed if going through a car wash, truck not the trailer. Don't try taking the trailer through a car wash. Jerry.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Thanks Jerry. Does the monitor have to be reset every time the sensors (cap or flow through) are removed and reinstalled to the stem?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
There is nothing to reset when the sensors are removed, when the batteries are replaced or when the monitor is turned off. If you want you can call and I'll tell you all about them. I also talk to people about tires, ST vs LT. Too much information on tires and monitoring systems to cover by typing. You can reach me at 813-781-2995.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I love my TST system and use it on our 34' without the need for a repeater. Too many Airstream friends have had tire problems and trailer damage as a result. The TST system is great insurance against that. Plus I like knowing the pressure and tire temps on an ongoing basis. Easy to set up. Change the batteries once an year without the need to reset the system afterwards.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #25
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Jerry TST recommends metal stems with external sensors. From their FAQ page

Do I need special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.

The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
I use non flow through TST system did not need a repeater for my 30' FC and Ram 2500 TV. I have been on some muddy nasty dirt roads with no issues. Over 6500 miles has never dropped out or lost signal. Easy to set up. With the cap removal tool not much more effort than removing the original cap. People at TST were great to deal with. After initial set up just turn it on wait a few minutes and its up and running.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
After reading some of the posts I thought I should respond to some of the questions and responses.
For the 3+ years that I have been selling the TST system I have yet to need a repeater. I've actually talked several customers out of purchasing a repeater with the offer to send them one if they need it. Many of them have had other systems where they needed the repeater. I have put many systems on 45 foot motor homes pulling a towed vehicle behind the motor home and still haven't needed a repeater. If you did need one they are $59.00.

On the question of sensor accuracy, the accuracy is +\- 1.5psi. This is much better than the mechanical gauges and as good or better than any of the digital gauges. I have two high end commercial gauges that I don't even use anymore.

Regarding the flow through sensors. The flow through and the cap sensors are the same price and are interchangeable. I prefer the cap sensors because they do not require metal stems. Metal stems are better than rubber stems and certainly you should have your rubber stems replaced with metal stems when you have new tires installed. The flow through sensor anti-theft mechanism is much more difficult to use. It requires very small set screw and wrench and definitely needs to be removed if going through a car wash, truck not the trailer. Don't try taking the trailer through a car wash. Jerry.
Ditto on everything Jerry (Bandits) said. I too starting using TST products, then became a dealer for the TST system a couple of years ago. They are a great product. I literally don't tow anything without them now....including a landscape trailer. It is also correct that they can and have detected early heat signs indicative of tire blowout or failure. Heat is nearly always going to be present prior to a blowout...as generally the tread will start to separate, appearing as a protrusion or egg on the tire...this builds heat, triggering the sensor. Heat from a bad wheel bearing can also be picked up by the sensor. As Aviator (Craig) pointed out, it is insurance...insurance that we all should have whether it is a vintage Airstream or a newer Airstream or trailer of any kind for that matter. Although I'm not a salesman per say, I sell them because I...like the owners of the company (Dan and partner), as well as Jerry (Bandits) as well as current customers, firmly believe in the product. Typically, lifespan on a tire is determined by remaining tread...that is NOT the case with trailer tires. I personally am about to replace the custom made, expensive, wide whitewall ST trailer tires on our '67 Caravel before making anymore trips. The tires and tread could nearly pass for near new condition...having only logged about 9,000 miles...BUT the tire age dictates that they MUST be replaced. I plan to purchase a second set of wheels, retain the current wheels and tires for display only as we use the Caravel for a pool house in the summer...since we don't camp then. That way, our new tires will not be exposed to sunlight in the summers. Our camper is kept indoors the rest of the time. As I learned from an engineer friend at the most respected tire manufacturer in the country, UV rays and oxygen deteriorate tires...leading to tread separation. UV from the outside, oxygen from the inside...this interior degradation leads to tread separation. Another item I learned from him is that having trailer tires filled with Nitrogen is very important to reduce oxygen degradation from the inside. He also noted that this is not as critical on a car that is driven regularly as the tires will wear out long before degradation or tread separation occurs. To an extent, "nitrogen filling" is hype for everyday cars but very important to vehicles that are limited to lower mile driving...muscle cars, hot rods, trailers, campers, etc. Keeping tires covered/protected from UV when possible, is also important. As I said, I'm not a salesman but if you don't have tire pressure sensors, sooner or later, something will likely happen. It's just a fact. When it does, hopefully, you are able to stop safely and you are in a place that will be safe for you, your family and your rig until the tire can be replaced etc...and not too much damage is done. As many people will chime in and tell you, you usually don't even know you've had a tire failure until a passing motorists alerts you. The monitors are also a great way to keep an exact look at your pressure, and a reminder per say to do so...which I'm sure gives a good amount of $ return on your MPG.
Sorry for the long post...but it is something I believe in. I never push these but always have at least two sets with me for sale when I go camping. One of the reasons I don't push them is that Jerry (Bandits) is usually there at the same camping trip, does advertise, has been selling them longer than me, etc. He is a nice guy, is very well versed on them and has sold many, many sets. I never want to step on anyone's toes...I only sell them because I believe in them. Do yourself a favor and get you some TST monitors...from Jerry, me or somewhere.

Thanks, G

As I saw written one time:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
I currently have the original tires on my 2015 27FB Serenity. So far I have put about 7000 miles on them. Jerry, you mention that you prefer the non flow through because they can be used on rubber stems. However, you then state that metal stems are preferable. What are the advantages of metal stems?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #29
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Pat TST recommends metal stems. Weight of the senders will flex the rubber stems. If you have external sensors get metal stems, have the tire shop balance the tires with the senders installed and you will have a happier tire/wheel. Mine are smiling all of the time. Can't see the trailer in the blinding glare of happy tires I paid $10 per tire for Discount Tire to pull them off, install the metal stem, spin balance and remount.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
G, gotcha. Thanks. I was just a bit confused as Jerry stated that he preferred the cap sensors because they could be used with rubber stems . The only reason to change to metal stems is if one was going to use the flow throughs. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
G, gotcha. Thanks. I was just a bit confused as Jerry stated that he preferred the cap sensors because they could be used with rubber stems . The only reason to change to metal stems is if one was going to use the flow throughs. Correct?

That is not what I was told when I talked directly with them. Knowing I had the cap sensors they recommended I get metal stems because of the possibility of damage to rubber stems.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post

Hey Pat,

I'll let Jerry speak on his behalf as to what he said...but I think you are directing this question to me??? I don't recall how Jerry put it unless I reread it. As I understand & accept it and as the TST website states, TST does recommend metal stems in either application...as it "could" pose potential problems. In only "my opinion", I think the weight of the sensors would show up a problem with older dried up rubber valve stems....whereas it may not with new ones....just my opinion. Common sense would dictate that someone as safety conscious as Dan is (TST owner), he would side with caution and suggest avoiding an issue and get the metal valve stems. After all, he has created the sensor sysytem and we are all running it (as well as Jerry and I selling them) in order to prevent a problem. I feel metal valve stems is the right and common sense thing to do. With that said, I'm running the sensors on my trailer, with rubber stems and have had no issues. I had planned to upgrade tires sooner but my 75 hour or so work week delays many of my plans. I have only towed only about 2200 miles with my rubber stems. I do have metal stems on my Roadmaster wagon tow vehicle. It is running very well balanced and smooth Michelins and oddly enough I could tell any difference when I added the sensors. The 510 sensors weigh a little over .75 ounce. I had planned to switch to metal stems on the trailer and have the tires balanced with the sensors installed when I get new tires....which will be before my next outing. I'm interested in going the "happy tire" route as GHaynes outlined.

From TST website:
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems. The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.
Most motorhomes and commercial transport vehicles come equipped with metal valve stems. If you do need metal valve stems, they are not expensive; a recent customer had 6 valve stems replaced on a 30’ gooseneck racing trailer for $36. They are available and can be quickly installed by any tire dealer.

I hope this helps.

G

"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream"...stay thirsty my friends.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
There is nothing to reset when the sensors are removed, when the batteries are replaced or when the monitor is turned off. If you want you can call and I'll tell you all about them. I also talk to people about tires, ST vs LT. Too much information on tires and monitoring systems to cover by typing. You can reach me at 813-781-2995.
Jerry,

This is slightly off-topic and I don't want to hijack this thread...but I do plan to buy new 205 75-15 trailer ST tires soon and would like to hear your thoughts. So we don't hijack this thread any further than I have with tire talk, possibly, you could start another thread with some info about trailer tires? If that isn't possible, let me know a good time and I'll give you a call.
I have to buy tires one place, send them out to another place to have the wide whitewalls volcanized on there, it's a somewhat lengthy process that I need to get moving.
Thanks, G

Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #34
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Metal stems. No matter which sensor. I would consistently lose air on all tires over a month.. Then one of the rubber stems failed. Changed all to metal. Pressure holds fine now.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Thank you All for the comments on TST. If anyone has any questions feel free to call me at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
To clarify my thoughts on rubber versus the metal stems and the sensors. I recommend metal stems always. They do not flex and they don't dry rot. They are just better whether or not you have sensors. Whether you have a tire monitoring system or not I recommend that you have metal stems installed the next time you change tires. If you decide to stay with rubber stems make sure new rubber stems are installed at every tire change.

The flow through, because of the design is a heavier sensor and TST strongly recommends metal stems. With the flow through sensor I would place an offsetting wheel weight on the wheel. The non flow through, cap sensor, is considerably lighter and I don't recommend an offsetting wheel weight but if you like you can use a half ounce wheel weight opposite the sensor. The problem here is that we don't high speed balance our tires anymore and so you may be balancing the wheel and tire but have no idea about the running gear.

If you want to get into a true balance look into Centramatics or other forms of continuous dynamic wheel balances. I personally use Centramatics and have for over 6 years. Dexter Axel came out with a disclaimer regarding Centramatics and their use with Neverlube bearings. I've had my bearings checked annually by Glen from Dexter and everything is still fine. I think their disclaimer is just a CYA notice. I don't sell Centramatics. They are tire and lug nut specific. I think they are one of the best, inexpensive things we can do for our trailers and strongly recommend that you check them out.

Back to my preference for the cap sensors. The cap sensors will work with either type stem. The flow through sensors are much bulkier, they attract more attention and I think they are unattractive. Installation and removal for adjusting air pressure with the cap sensor is basically as easy as removing a valve stem cap. Two special wrenches are provided in the kit. To install and remove the flow through sensors you have to use a very small Allen wrench, two of which are provided with the kit, and then try to find the tiny set screw that you previously tightened down on the valve stem. Depending on the position of the tire you may end up standing on your head to find it. If you wear reading glasses it can really be a challenge. All this and it is not as theft resistant as the cap sensor. Another issue that I've had customers report to me is that they have found the airflow through the flow through sensor to be much slower than the valve stem without the sensor installed. A last point regarding the flow through sensors is the battery compartment. I don't like the design. I think the cap sensor much better protects and seals the electronics and the battery. By the way the electronics in all the sensors is GE technology. The price is the same for each type sensor so price is not a consideration. Jerry.

Typos by Jerry
Old 08-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #37
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Pat, from the posts after your question consensus seems to be to follow the guidance from TST regardless of type of sensor cap. Same advice would apply to any external sensor.

And an easy time to have them installed is when you get a tire rotation done. Even if you aren't due it will cost you an hour of time at a good tire dealer. I'm a big fan of Discount Tire so will give them a shout out. Same tech did my 25FC last year and my Classic this year. And they will spin balance and get the tire balanced. He commented it took a bit of weight to balance. Centramics would make my tires even happier or so I have been told....
Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
One last response before I sign off. Regarding the question I was asked about tires. After two failures with Goodyear Marathons I did a lot of research and decided to change to LT tires. Having experience with Michelin XPS Rib tires it was an easy decision. That is what I've run ever since and that's all I'll run in the future. They are expensive but not nearly as expensive as repairing an Airstream.

Whatever you do get a tire monitoring system. If you want the best get at TST. You can get it through me, Mike at TST or any of their distributors.

I'm dropping off this thread. I type slow and this is a very cumbersome method of communication. I'm happy to answer any questions I can whether they be about tire monitors, tires, Centramatics or anything else I can help with, but it needs to be over the phone. I hope this thread has been helpful to all those following it. Jerry O'Connell WBCCI #2105. 813-781-2995.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
This Mike Benson VP TST. I wanted to jump in and confirm what Jerry O'Connell(Bandits) said regarding the 507 RV Cap Sensors. They are designed to run on rubber valve stems.
Thanks,
Mike B
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Update to new TST 507 system installed last week prior to a short camping trip. While hitching the TV to the AS, the alarm went off indicating low tire pressure on a curb side, back axel rear tire. Monitor showed tire 9lbs low. Drove a short distance to a Goodyear tire store, removed sensor, added 9lbs, reinstalled sensor and monitor showed correct pressure with alarm deactivated. This system worked as advertised and added a added comfort level to towing my AS. Thanks TST.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote