Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Considering a TST 507 tire monitoring system for my rig. I have a couple of questions:
1) Any negative feedback on the TST system?
2) How difficult is it to set up?
3) Considering the non flow through system. Is this OK, or should I get the flow through system?
4) Is the repeater necessary to get the signal from the trailer to the tow vehicle?
5) Any problem with loss or theft of the sensors?

Thanks in advance for any input or experience you can share.

Sam 12557

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sam

1. Now that I have the repeater, no issues
2. Very easy to set up, instructions are pretty clear.
3. I have the non flow thru sender, they work fine for me.
4. I needed the repeater, but you may not. No way to know before hand.
5. Still have all mine.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Installed today

Just installed mine this afternoon. Read the instructions a couple of time, watch a couple videos on YouTube (not very helpful) and then started the process to configure the system. After several attempts, gave TST a call and they assisted me with the setup. They are very helpful, explained in detail the process, even walked through the setup. Their customer service, IMHO, is outstanding. Tomorrow will be our first trip and I'll follow up with the results of it performance.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
I'm 1,300 miles into a Colorado trip and I'm very happy with the performance of my TST 507 flow through sensors. I like the convenience of being able to double check the tire pressures with a hand held digital gauge without having to remove the sensors.
I have a 25 ft. AS and didn't need a repeater.

What's interesting is we're camped at 8,000 ft. Elevation and as the night temperatures start dropping, the tire pressure starts dropping. I have the low pressure alarm set at a close 5 psi, and one by one, each tire will go into alarm (sometimes after I've gone to bed).

I hope you will also be happy with your TPM system.
Mine has given me a peace of mine while traveling through the beautiful mountain passes.

Cheers
SilverBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have the TST 507 and need a repeater with my 30' trailer. Otherwise it seems to work good. Repeater just showed up, will install this weekend.

I would go with the flow thru sensors, we just did 5700 miles and it was a pleasure to manually check and adjust tire pressure periodically.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Ditto to all the above. Non Flow Thru sensors but the more robust SCE which have a brass body. No repeater with my Sierra 2500 and 30ft Classic. Very quick to remove a sensor for adding air or checking pressure.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
TST just rocks! After 2 years, I just trust them.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I found mine to be a challenge to set up initially. Bought mine through an Airstream guy and he was great to walk me through it and other follow up questions I had. Price was very competitive.

We haul a 30' FC with a Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab and no repeater has been necessary.

The security feature integrated into the sensors has worked fine for me. No issues with theft, etc.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
I use them on my 30' and my SUV. I need the repeater because of metalized insulation and window tint on the car. They work fine. I converted trailer tire stems to all metal to overcome valve stem flexing. I remove them during long periods of storage to conserve batteries, but no one has ever tampered with them. Just don't go through the car wash tire scrubber without removing them.
2018 F250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Camping World has an internet sale on them right now. Good price? $284.99 after $55 sale discount.
TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Six Sensors - Truck Systems 510 TPMS6 - Tire Accessories - Camping World
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seal Beach , California
Eezrv tpms

Has anyone out there have experience with EEZV TPMS system. There are only a few customer reviews on Amazon. All good.
ezairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
We have that exact system and love it. Manual tire pressure readings usually run 3-4 psi higher than the TST readings, but we use the monitors to watch for slow or rapid loss of pressure, not an exact reading.

It was a little bit of a challenge. Just read the enclosed info and take your time. It was doable with time and patience. We did not need to call for help.

3) Considering the non flow through system. Is this OK, or should I get the flow through system?
We are glad we chose the flow through system. They are much easier to monitor pressures and add air than sensors that would have to be removed.

4) Is the repeater necessary to get the signal from the trailer to the tow vehicle? We have a 25' and did not need a repeater. it works consistently well for us.

5) Any problem with loss or theft of the sensors? We have not experienced any problem with loss or theft to date, but have only been using them eight months. We do cover our tires while in storage.

We still visually check the tires at every stop, but this gave us peace of mind that if something happened we might know about it before extensive damage was done to the coach. We did have trouble with one of the tires not holding air once the sensor was on (no matter how tight we turned it), but customer service was available and helpful. The issue was resolved with their first suggestion to use a dremel to remove just a very small amount of the end of sensor fitting. This allowed it to fit snugly and put an end to the air loss. They were willing to send a new sensor to where we were staying at the time, but that was not needed. Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong with this system.
Mellinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:43 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
I sure appreciate all the great feed back! Sure helps on the decision process.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:58 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Price may have changed since but I paid $259.00, shipping included to purchase through the Airstream owner.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have the TST on a trailer we're towing now. First time we've used them. Head and shoulders above the tire minder system we had. Will put them on the Airstream next week and install the repeater.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
TPMS are good devices when they work well. They won't protect you from a sudden blowout and subsequent wheel well area damage of vulnerable tires such as the ST tires Airstream furnishes with Airstreams.

My first purchase would be Michelin LT tires with their stellar blowout reliability, then any decent TPMS as an abundance of caution but primarily to warn of a leak when you may run over a nail.

We don't use TPMS but that's just a personal decision, not a recommendation. We do have Michelin 16" LT tires.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Serious tire issues like "blowouts" are preceded by spikes in temp/pressure, according to tire engineer experts...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #18
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
As to theft there was a big article in The Onion about a drug gang up in Idaho that was stealing TPMS sensors off of trailers to sell to support their drug buys. So if you stay out of Idaho, until the gang has been rounded up, you should be fine with whatever system you buy. One of the gang members was quoted that they were thinking about cutting open car and truck tires to get those TPMS sensors since there didn't seem to be that many on the trailers that they saw and it was getting tough to get enough sensors to get high. The Onion always has the most accurate cutting edge stories
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellinkat View Post
We have that exact system and love it. Manual tire pressure readings usually run 3-4 psi higher than the TST readings, but we use the monitors to watch for slow or rapid loss of pressure, not an exact reading.

It was a little bit of a challenge. Just read the enclosed info and take your time. It was doable with time and patience. We did not need to call for help.

We are glad we chose the flow through system. They are much easier to monitor pressures and add air than sensors that would have to be removed.

4) Is the repeater necessary to get the signal from the trailer to the tow vehicle? We have a 25' and did not need a repeater. it works consistently well for us.

5) Any problem with loss or theft of the sensors? We have not experienced any problem with loss or theft to date, but have only been using them eight months. We do cover our tires while in storage.

We still visually check the tires at every stop, but this gave us peace of mind that if something happened we might know about it before extensive damage was done to the coach. We did have trouble with one of the tires not holding air once the sensor was on (no matter how tight we turned it), but customer service was available and helpful. The issue was resolved with their first suggestion to use a dremel to remove just a very small amount of the end of sensor fitting. This allowed it to fit snugly and put an end to the air loss. They were willing to send a new sensor to where we were staying at the time, but that was not needed. Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong with this system.

I can only concur - we have exactly the same good experience with the system. Last trip, we noted that one of the tires was running a bit low on pressure and a quick stop using our cheapo B&D rechargeable inflator was all we needed to be back to normal. It provides a great piece of mind. We have a 25FB and tow with an SUV.
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #20
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Serious tire issues like "blowouts" are preceded by spikes in temp/pressure, according to tire engineer experts...
Correct. And you set your monitor system to give you a warning when the temp in the tire exceeds a certain setpoint. So the TPS is able to provide a warning before a blowout - perhaps not all the time; of course one could think about scenarios where the blowout can come without a spike in temp.
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote