Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Very well said ...but western Montana has even more mountainous terrain! Glad to see that some folks understand our dilemma ... especially on the winding passes where the 18 wheelers are not happy piling up behind an AS going 45 ...

But,,, there will be VERY VERY few 18 wheelers going more than 37 up an 8% grade..

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
Well just to confuse things even more and offer my own "expert" opinion, I have the following to offer.

I am the same guy that came on the forum last fall (little over a year ago) and told of how I was using a Land Rover Discovery to pull my 23ft FB Flying Cloud. We made several successful trips, from the gulf coast to Fort Campbell, KY. No problems what so ever. Of course I was having to observe my mirrors so I could be prepared for the big trucks that would overtake me, this would push the AS and TV around a little. Even went to Fort Bragg, NC once with this configuration. On the return trip I had a close call. Sway. I did not lose it but when I got home I started looking and reading the forum. And reading the forum. If any of you remember I would defend my setup TV - AS with all the fervor of an politician! I now own a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. See, the truth is we defend the way we do things, while I had nothing else to tow with, the Land Rover was the most wonderful vehicle under the sun! I still own the LR Disco, it is my pride and joy, for OFF ROAD! But be safe, people. Air Streamer's lives matter!

A Hensley designed hitch would have been cheaper.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What imp is making me put my foot into another "right truck" thread?

The original poster is from VIRGINIA, and from the flatter part of the Commonwealth. I spend less time on the road than I'd originally thought I would, though that is likely to change come spring. Most people really aren't like Moosetags putting a huge number of miles on the road every year... so if you're planning to go buy into Virginia Highland Haven and spend half of the year with the trailer parked there, then take 2 or 3 short trips to WDCU functions, a half ton truck will do quite nicely as long as you are conservative (Not easy when Washington DC and I-95 are close by.)

If you plan to put on 10,000 miles in a year, your travels and your Airstream will start talking to you about a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle quite shortly.

Drama and trauma... how many people here have had 2 or 3 tow vehicles for their Airstreams? And many of us without having 15 years towing the same Airstream either. My dream tow vehicles (and don't NEED either of them) would be a "DuraBurb" in the 3/4 ton range OR a Freightliner with a utility body that another member bought - complete with a small bed where I could put the grand nephews when they'd eaten beans and "might be rude".

Paula
Old 12-30-2014, 01:17 AM   #75
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Years ago my father towed a 31' Airstream quite a bit with a Chrysler station wagon, until he learned better. Kept blowing out tires because they were overloaded, and burning out transmissions even though the car was equipped with a large auxiliary transmission oil cooler. Also had trouble keeping the engine cool any time he was climbing grades in the mountains.

Finally he traded for a Suburban, and had no more problems until he traded the 31' for a 35' Avion. Then the 1/2 ton Suburban wheel bearings kept going out. So then he traded for a 3/4 ton, and never had another problem.

I've tried to not make the exact same mistakes I saw my father make.

Touché. Funny the influences those old farts still have on us.

from the AIRphone
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
A Hensley hitch will not make up for an under powered towing unit it is a bandaid.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
A Hensley hitch will not make up for an under powered towing unit it is a bandaid.
No hitch will give a vehicle more power, and I don't think anyone said it would, or did I miss it?

What a pivot point projection hitch will do (either Hensley or ProPride) is totally eliminate oscillatory sway. That's what they are designed to do, and sometimes this makes a marginal tow vehicle an acceptable tow vehicle.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Oh Happie Daze....sure am glad I started Stream'n before joining the Circus.

Bob
Not sure what you mean or intent ... ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
But,,, there will be VERY VERY few 18 wheelers going more than 37 up an 8% grade..

....not all are 8% or continuous grades around here and, believe me, when the 18w are unloaded or partial load, they want to move you off of the road so they can push the limit both going up and coming down. The diesel really does help in both directions - torque on the way up and compression braking on the way down. YMMV and my experiences do not have to match up with yours ...
Old 12-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Looked up on a new dodge chart at the dealer here and a 2500,342 ratio crew cab, short box 4/4 6 speed auto....max payload capacity is 10000 and the GCWR is 25000 and maximum loaded trailer weight is 17080 ..
Old 12-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #80
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Not sure what you mean D

Bob likes his whiskey straight. According to us he must add ice, coke and grenadine syrup. Thankfully knew this before entering a nightclub that those were unnecessary.

Besides that he's snowbound, again, in Buffalo.

from the AIRphone
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #81
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
To the guy that thinks a Hensley hitch would fix the problems I had, I will sell him a great, 4x4, iconic, powerful, V8, low mileage, tricked out, new tires, traction control, hill descent, etc. for the low price of $6000 and bring it to him! The Hensley will need to make the TV longer and heavier! The TV and AS are each about 5500lb.
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Not sure what you mean or intent ... ??

....not all are 8% or continuous grades around here and, believe me, when the 18w are unloaded or partial load, they want to move you off of the road so they can push the limit both going up and coming down. The diesel really does help in both directions - torque on the way up and compression braking on the way down. YMMV and my experiences do not have to match up with yours ...

Yea, I only have about a million miles in an 18 wheeler.

Um, some trucks can scale an 8% grade at more than forty, but a good majority of the "company trucks" from the big carriers wont, and the majority of the trucks on the road these days are owned by big carriers.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
To the guy that thinks a Hensley hitch would fix the problems I had, I will sell him a great, 4x4, iconic, powerful, V8, low mileage, tricked out, new tires, traction control, hill descent, etc. for the low price of $6000 and bring it to him! The Hensley will need to make the TV longer and heavier! The TV and AS are each about 5500lb.

Without going back and reading the whole post,,,, I THINK I was responding to the person who ditched their Vehicle (was it a Jeep) because of excessive sway.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
No hitch will give a vehicle more power, and I don't think anyone said it would, or did I miss it?

What a pivot point projection hitch will do (either Hensley or ProPride) is totally eliminate oscillatory sway. That's what they are designed to do, and sometimes this makes a marginal tow vehicle an acceptable tow vehicle.

As I said in the above post, I was responding to the person who traded their vehicle for excessive sway.

I can see that wasn't clear, but the post I was responding I am pretty sure didnt mention lack of power.

My apologies for not being clear.