Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
You know a lot of folks have very good fortune with the Dmaxes. One of mine has been trouble from about the first year on, and the other was good to about 120k miles.

We have been able to do all of the repair in house which has saved us a lot of money. I wouldn't want to think of the shop bill for changing the head gaskets and rebuilding the turbos.

Three weeks ago we had to go 250 miles to pick one of them up with a blown turbo.

They will move about 15 mph towing with an inoperable turbo... Just in case you are wondering...

The emissions required since 02 hit Dmaxes and Power Strokes really hard. They just got too complicated.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #142
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My one ton single rear wheel cummins diesel short bed double cab is the same size as a half ton. It is amistake to say the one tons are bigger, it depends on the cab, bed and if four wheel drive is chosen. Peace, jim

Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't know about the other brands for sure, but Ram offers a 5 1/2' bed with the crew cab 1/2 ton, but with the crew cab 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, 6 1/2' is the smallest bed.

So yes, they can be the same length, or the 1/2 ton can be smaller.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #144
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Correct. Jim
Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quite a bit smaller. Our Ram 1500 is 29" less wheelbase than the shortest 2500, and a ton or so less weight.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #146
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
A couple of years ago I spent some time crunching numbers on 1/2 ton trucks reference towing the late model 31' Classic we had at the time. My determination was if you wanted any amount of safety margin in weight carrying capacity, and towing capacity with a late model, wide body Airstream, the cutoff in trailer size was 25' for a 1/2 ton truck, maybe 28' if you special ordered a truck with all the "max" packages. Weight was a bigger factor than towing.

I know there are people towing larger with 1/2 tons, just like there a people towing with minivans, but I know I wouldn't be happy with it. I've towed with many marginal vehicles in the past and it's no fun, won't do it again.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What defines marginal?

Things are not what they were. A person needs to consider that a later model 5.3 GM engine makes more power and torque than 99% of the 454s that GM ever built.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #148
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
What defines marginal?

Things are not what they were. A person needs to consider that a later model 5.3 GM engine makes more power and torque than 99% of the 454s that GM ever built.

What defines marginal? An opinion, and that's just what I stated.

J., there are major differences in weight and wind drag between what you are towing with your 1/2 ton, and even the 31' wide body Classic that I had at the time, let alone the trailer I have now.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The reason I chose an Airstream was in part because I did not want to have to drive a big ponderous stinky diesel truck. I pull my late model 27FB with a SUV ( Ford Expedition ) and it tows and stops just fine. The Expedition also fits in the garage and any parking spot.

To each his own, but I don't by into assertions that the largest tow vehicle automatically makes it the best. If that were true then we'd all be towing with cement trucks.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #150
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The reason I chose an Airstream was in part because I did not want to have to drive a big ponderous stinky diesel truck. I pull my late model 27FB with a SUV ( Ford Expedition ) and it tows and stops just fine. The Expedition also fits in the garage and any parking spot.

To each his own, but I don't by into assertions that the largest tow vehicle automatically makes it the best. If that were true then we'd all be towing with cement trucks.
"big ponderous stinky diesel truck", and "cement trucks", but you don't feel this is an exaggeration?

By the way, my truck fits in the garage just fine, and it's a standard size garage.

And yea, you can do fine towing a 27' FB International with a good sized SUV. Your trailer is 4000lbs lighter than mine.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Mr Morgan the later 454 Chevys were fuel injected and pulled good ,lower rpm, Mr Mr Morgan remember your small block is only 325 cu in...Middle 70's to late 80's Doc's hot shot service in Casper had 20 some 454's 1 ton's pulling trailers , 454 's low rpm 60 mph limit on them and they did good at the time..I am going to keep my 3/4 ton diesel because I like the power and performace , at 1500 rpm and 63 mph..the V10 ford is close but not there, I've got friends that own them...the only V10 I like is in a dodge srt, a viper pu 580 hp and it will blow your hair back..I just got home from a cataract surgery on my rite eye, so my reading is not so good...
Old 01-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I think this thread is mixing diesel vs. gas, 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton, payload vs. horsepower, med vs. large trailers. It's getting a bit hard to track. Remember, the OP was asking about a 30' trailer, not a 27 or a 25.

What defines marginal? Well, objectively, how about the manufacturer's published payload and the GCWR for particular trailers? That's where I'd start with. Anything outside of that is just that - opinion.

An Expedition is based on a 1/2 frame, and if I recall, has a 9000lb payload. It should tow a 25" just fine, and depending on the model (rear or front bedroom), a 27 just fine. Its gas engine makes decent horsepower and torque, and the main benefit of choosing a diesel would likely be economy, as fuel economy for that Ford gas engine will drop much lower than a diesel, especially when towing.

As to trailer size and hitch weight, quite a bit of difference between a 27 and a 28 . A 27 footer has a high hitch weight of 791 compared to 976 for the 28. A 185lb difference may not seem like much, but factor in a severely reduced payload for a 1/2 ton versus a 23/4 ton, and you don't have a huge margin left, according to manufacturer recommended ratings.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #153
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Truck and Trailer

Except that with a 976lb TW a WD hitch will transfer enough weight so that about 400lbs TW per axle remains. Not so hard to do. Somehow we did it with those dinosaur 1970s cars for only about 200k miles with no undue wear.

Load the vehicles appropriately. Rocket science.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #154
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I was going to leave it there, but I cant help myself....

Using BoldAdventures rotor measurements I don't come up with 10%... I ran the figures earlier,,, but thinking I might have made an error I ran them again.

Diameter 13.230
Circumference 41.56

Diameter 13.855
Circumference. 43.53

Diameter 95.52%
Circumference. 95.47%

The number of pistons has little to no effect on caliper clamping force. The force is determined by the hydraulic ratio, (total volume of caliper cylinders per circuit divided by the master cylinder volume per circuit) not the number of pistons.

I will grant that the surface area of the pads can be a factor in the general braking force equation, but I don't feel like looking these up now. I suspect that the difference in pad surface between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton brakes exceeds the 5% difference in rotor diameter, but I cant say for certain.

(Note 1; "per circuit" means that American cars have a front brake circuit, and a back brake circuit, each with a respective piston in the master cylinder)

(Note 2; above I state cylinder volume, the term should be exchanged with piston surface area and or piston displacement as applicable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Car & Driver tested both a 2013 RAM 1500 and a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel. Both were crew cab 4x4 models. The 1500 weighed 5600 lbs, nearly 2400 lbs less than the 2500.

The 1500 stopped from 70mph in 195 feet. The heavier Cummins? It took only 7 feet more to stop from 70 mph, at 202 feet.

Now load both trucks with a 8000 lb loaded Airstream, hitched up properly. I am pretty sure that is when you'll really find out whether the extra braking components on the 2500 HD models prove their worth. Add some real world experience in: say you're descending on a long steep pass, like I5 over the Sisykous or the Grapevine. The 2500, in tow haul mode, will not need to ride the brakes near as much given that the built in engine brake on the Cummins diesel will do a credible job keeping speed in check, and when it comes time to step hard on the brakes, an extra piston and wider calipers will likely do a much better job in controlling the braking.

Not taking issue with your math, but in my experience actually hauling the Airstream through these passes, both the extra power and extra cooling and extra braking capabilities make a noticeable difference.

There are lots of reasons to choose a 1/2 ton truck over a 3/4 ton truck, but I don't think the lack of extra HD capability in braking and cooling components is one of them, especially when pulling the kinds of loads the 3/4 HD trucks were built for.
Ah, but I provided real numbers and you didn't for the second half, just hearsay.

Remember, in regards to the Ram, the 1500 features a form of engine braking. I was addressing a very specific claim, that HEAVY DUTY brakes are a thing on 3/4 tons (which they're not) and thus they stop better (which they don't).

And there you go, right in the tail end making HD claims. My Ram is setup for towing, it's equipped with Heavy Duty Cooling (marketing) option equipment group, which means, Oil & Transmission cooler.

I've established there is no such thing as HD brakes, just size appropriate. And that the 1500 Ram also features engine braking.

And if you really want to get into it, 3/4 ton owners have light duty trucks according to DOT.

The US DOT puts trucks into classes by "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating" (GVWR) ranked from 1 to 8 (smallest to largest).

GVWR refers to the maximum operating weight a truck can possibly carry while driving including the truck itself. GVWR classes have nothing to do with what parts the truck is fitted with, how beefy the suspension is, or what the truck looks like. They are solely based on weight.

"Heavy-duty pickups" like the Ford Super Duty, Chevrolet and GMC 2500s, and Ram 2500s. "3500" pickups are basically all Class 3 trucks as far as GVWR is concerned.

So guess what, your heavy duty truck is a light duty truck. The government said so.

Here's a fun read: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/truck-...-to-1613958192

All in fun and good spirits of course. Cheers. The debate has been interesting.