Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #1

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Cool Too warm for comfort.

We recently took our new 27FB Flying Cloud out for a trial run and found that the roof mounted air conditioner (AC) could not keep up with the internal heat load. We were parked for two nights and a full day with all drapes closed, awnings deployed on both sides as well as the rear window,and entrance door kept closed. No heat was introduced internally by gas surface burners or the convection microwave oven. The thermostat was set for 78 degres F and the AC kept up with this demand throughout the first night. The internal temperature began to increase during the next day until the AC fan shifted to the highest speed and the AC compressor ran continuously. The peak outside temperature was 95 degrees F during the afternoon as indicated by the AC thermostat and the temperature at the surface of the dinette table was 85 degrees F as indicated by our thermocouple device. We were parked in full sun with no shade except for that provided by the awnings.

We referred to the Newbies Guide to Airstreaming which was in our information packet and found the following statement in the Air Conditioner section: "It's designed to keep your Airstream about 20 degrees below the outside temperature in full sun." The best we were able to attain was 10 degrees below the outside temperature.

Is this what other owners are experiencing? We would also solicit any and all suggestions as to how we can better attain a more favorable temperature differential during the hot afternoons.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We use reflectex insulation, cut into the shape of the windows and placed just inside the glass or between the glass and the screen at Burning Man.
This makes a huge difference in how fast the trailer heats up.

In cooling, prevention is also worth a pound of cure (or ice).

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I can give you a ton of tips because I've camped in the southwest summers.

But the number 1 super deluxe tip:

1. Get a campsite with shade. Full shade, partial shade, any shade at all is better than nothing.

Other tips would include insulating windows, get the crack of dawn temp in the trailer as low as possible, using awning when possible, insulating roof vents, closing off the bathroom or other sections of trailer. Some people have indicated some of the thermostats give better performance if the temp is set way lower than the desired temp.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums.

What you describe is a common problem and is particularly serious in longer trailers (like yours) with a single air conditioner.

There are several things you can do that will help somewhat.

First of all, select a shady site if possible. It makes a big difference. Though you do not mention the wind it does help to be in a protected location out of the wind.

As Bart notes, some people use reflective material to reduce the solar gain through the windows.

It helps somewhat to set the air conditioner on high fan and set the thermostat to a lower setting early in the day. And as you have already done, it helps to avoid cooking.

Finally, be sure that the vents are all closed, including the bathroom vent.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 25FB with the 13,500 btu roof a/c unit. For the a/c to be able to be effective in the hot summer, we also use the reflective insulation in the windows, skylight, and over the Fantastic Fans. Without it the, the a/c can't keep up. With it, the a/c maintains a comfortable temperature.

Last week, we camped for 5 days in Houston when it was 99 degrees, and we were comfortable.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Fan

I am camped in Brookland TX now on lake Sam Rayburn and we have seen record high temps. This is what Ive done to battle the heat.
I took our camper to a local tint man and tinted all the windows in our camper with 5% window tint. (cost was 300 dollars) I then bought a super powerful fan from Sams Superstore that is very small but VERY powerful. Its a squirrel cage type blower made by LASKO. (Cost 60 dollars)
My camper is located in a spot with very minimum shade.
Yesterday temps reached 114 degrees according to my weather station I bought at Wal-Mart. The inside temp was 78 degress. At night the temp outside temp gets down to 84-87 degrees and the inside temp is 62-64 degrees. Right now the outside temp is 93 and the inside temp is 71.
This is in our 93 29 foot excella with one roof mounted 13.5k A/C unit. I keep the fan at the base of the couch blowing back to the bedroom area and it keeps the air circulating in the trailer. I am very please with these results. Mrs. S even complains that its to cold at night. The hottest its gotten in the trailer so far is 85 and that was my fault because I left the access compartment door open in the back of the trailer.
Ive attempted to post pics of the fan and the temp station but I am unable to do so due to the air card Im using for internet. Service is very poor here. But I encourage people in TX to try what we have. We camped in Canton TX last month and we didnt have near the results we have now. Thought we were going to burn up in Canton and temps were only up to 100 degrees. I will post pics for proof when able. Hope this will give you some hope.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Also, if you have incandescent lights (not ht eLED type) inside, keep their use to a minimum - those little puck lights in the ceiling put off a HUGE amount of heat - as will your electrical inverter powering them!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
You need to move to the San Francisco Bay Area - if it's too hot, drive 30 miles West. If it's too cold, drive 30 miles East. If it's really, really cold, drive to Sacramento - it's always hot there. One summer it had been over 100 where I live for several days in a row - we drove 30 miles West to Fort Point (under the Golden Gate Bridge) and almost froze to death.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Atascadero , California
Another tip...

In my 28' if it is really hot out, I found that closing the rear accordion door to the bedroom really makes a difference, since it is cooling a smaller area. At night it's generally cooler so I can open it to cool the bedroom.

I was curious what size AC you have? Is it a 15k or a 13.5k BTU?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1956 16' Bubble
1947 22' Liner
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
My thermometer says 115 every afternoon this week. In direct sun. The local...Dallas ....TV news last night showed a direct ground temp of 138. If your in similar, direct, exposure....keep closed up, use awnings on all sides, keep as much sunlight heat from beneath the Air stream as possible...grass, not asphalt/concrete/bare dirt. It gets better in late October.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Tyler , Texas
AC cant keep up

This past weekend we were in Longview Tx where the temps were in excess of 100 and the 13,500 @ 15,000 could not keep up. I am in the process of changing out the two colemans for 2 15,000 penguines and hope this will at least get use to a semi comfortable state.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
The fan and the temp pics. Finally got them up. The fan works miracles. Try it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1396252573.png
Views:	120
Size:	858.6 KB
ID:	135458   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3650422815.png
Views:	116
Size:	735.3 KB
ID:	135459  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3584334929.png
Views:	123
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	135460  
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #13

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
My AC is a 13500 btu/hour Dometic
Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #14

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Cool Temp Test

Hi Moosetags,
Thanks for the input. I installed Reflectix in the rear windows as well as the vents and sky light. Also used a small fan to circulate inside air. Did a temp test in my driveway in direct sun. Rear and driver side awnings deployed. Couldn't open door side awning due to space required. Max outside air temp 103.1. Max inside air temp 88.4. Max outside average skin temp 118.3. Outside skin temps taken on sides and ends of trailer. Roof would most likely have been hotter. Max inside average skin temp 97.4.

I can see the value in seeking out as much shade as possible. Need to install more Reflectix in other windows.

Take care,

Turnertoo