Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
York , South Carolina
Congratulations on your new Airstream! I see a red Tundra in your pic! We tow with a Tundra as well! Don't even know the Airstream is back there! We are new to an Airstream and have towed it once to our first Airstream Rally! Had an awesome time meeting nice folks! Looking forward to many travels in our Airstream! Safe travels to you!

WBCCI #5659 Unit 22 Region 3 w/ sandlapper
Seven Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I, too, tow with a Tundra.
13 days and $575 and it will be paid off.
35,000 miles. This is my 20 or 30 year truck to go with my 20-30 year trailer.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Brook View Post
Congratulations on your new Airstream! I see a red Tundra in your pic! We tow with a Tundra as well! Don't even know the Airstream is back there! We are new to an Airstream and have towed it once to our first Airstream Rally! Had an awesome time meeting nice folks! Looking forward to many travels in our Airstream! Safe travels to you!
We are very happy with the Tundra/Airstream combo so far. Sounds like you had fun at the Rally - we hope to do that someday, too. Happy & safe travels to you!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I, too, tow with a Tundra.
13 days and $575 and it will be paid off.
35,000 miles. This is my 20 or 30 year truck to go with my 20-30 year trailer.
Congrats on paying off your Tundra! We are really happy with our Tundra so far. We have a few years before it is paid off, but like you we are planning on keeping it for a long time... the Airstream too!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We like the radios too for hitching and other uses as well

Congratulations!!!!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminlife View Post
Hello Airstream Friends!

It is official: after a five month waiting period, we are finally new Airstream owners! A couple weeks ago, we picked up our new 27' Flying Cloud from the Portland dealership. By the way, every person we have worked with there has been really great. They are a smaller dealership but super friendly and definitely customer oriented.

After a few days getting our feet wet at an RV Park located not too far from the dealership, we were finally ready to haul her back to Seattle. While in Portland, we were initiated into new ownership status by a few glitches resulting in some head-scratching, and then two trips back to the dealership. This back-and-forth provided us with much needed hitching and unhitching practice, so that part was good.

Despite the issues (water leaks and a hitch install issue) bottom line is we are totally smitten with the our new Airstream! Our first time out proved to be both challenging and fun, and we are looking forward to more short trips before taking to the road on some extended adventures.

Two gadgets during this initial break-in period have come in very handy: a point-and-shoot camera with short video capability and two-way radios. These two devices have made life so much easier. We took videos of the problems in action, which I think helped to show the dealership exactly what we were talking about. We also videoed some of the walk-through instructions. Unfortunately we forgot we had brought our camera until Pat, our friendly Airstream walk-through guide, began instructing us on the ins and outs of operating the Zip Dee awnings. At least we managed to get that part on camera! The rest of the instructions are stored somewhere in the memory files, but fortunately there is a briefcase-sized packet full of Airstream manuals and information to help with recall. Needless to say, we have our reading cut out for us.

The two-way radios came in super handy during the hitching and unhitching process. I did not have to run back and forth between my check-point stations and the truck to report whether the turn signals and brake lights were working, etc. We are especially thankful for these since at least half of our hitching and unhitching time, thus far, has been spent in heavy downpour conditions. Talk about a steep learning curve and getting our feet wet! On the bright side, we are quickly becoming adept at this particular task, having been dragged through somewhat rough weather that really tested our abilities, not to mention our patience. Someone here in the forums mentioned that walkie talkies would save a marriage, and I do not think they were kidding

Heartfelt thanks to everyone for the much needed tips, advice, and encouragement thus far! I am sure we will be back with more questions plus a few updates on our adventures.

Happy travels!
Congratulations. Great tips. We are just a few weeks behind you, our expected pick up is May 16 th...
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
You're hooked now! Congrats on the new FC!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Good things come to those who wait ...
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I, too, picked up a new AS 30ft in March of this year--i know this book probably came in your packet, "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming", the check lists are so user friendly we reprinted them, laminated them and use as a "flight check list" preparing, arriving, and departure. Also helped us put together a tool take along bag. Still need to gather some fuses and larger fire extinguisher. Sign up for as many rally's as your time/budget can afford and set a camp night outs challenge in your first year year.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
York , South Carolina
I agree with Luigi 123! Our first Spring rally was fabulous! We are scheduled for a Fall rally in late September. You will meet so many wonderful and knowledgeable Airstream folks! My brother, " sandlapper", owns a 34ft. and has been wonderful in helpin us get ready for the Airstream life! We are headin out this afternoon for a long weekend campin with family! Look for the rally schedule on the Forums! Hope you all have a nice Easter weekend!

WBCCI #5659 Unit 22 Region 3 w/ sandlapper
Seven Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Congratulations mstephens and Luigi123 on your new Airstreams! We will for sure try a rally and see what that is like, sounds like a lot of fun We received the Newbies Guide book in our packet of materials, and use it A LOT. Great checklists, and we have also been writing in our own notes and checkpoints to personalize. I am still working on organizing all the manuals and paperwork, plus our own checklists, but that little Newbies guide has been our constant go-to. Our AS is finally ready to pick up (yay!) after having some warranty work done, so if we are lucky to find a spot locally we will take it out this weekend. Have a great camping trip Beth, and Happy Easter everyone!