Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our fully loaded Airstream FC25 and ProPride hitch adds 840 lbs to our truck when weight distribution is set. I'm sure we can do better with some re-arranging of loads. Our goal is under 750 lbs.

Here is a typical six month load in the bed of our truck, it's not heavy and mostly forward of the rear axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	267177  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Hermitage , Pennsylvania
Over the past few years my wife and I have transitioned from a used FC 20 to a new FC 23, to a new 2013 FC 25RB Twin. We love this Twin BUT the beds arrived with factory installed 34 inch wide mattresses. The bed frames however, on both sides, were only 30 inches wide. I had to add 34 inch wide plywood to both beds to provide complete support. Be sure to measure the beds before you buy!
Whirlism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Doug, could you please clarify your comments for me.

Are you saying that your truck load and redistributed tongue weight results in an 840 lb increase in rear axle weight when fully loaded (for you) with all of the stuff in your picture? If so, this is very good news.

Are you willing to share how much weight you are adding to the front storage area? I am thinking long and hard about replacing the front batteries with lithium ion batteries to save about 42 lbs close to the hitch and substituting the savings with more useful things to me in the front storage of a FC 25 FB that we don't want in the trailer.

As I have said before, the 25FB twin appeals to my heart. The 25 RB twin appeals to my brain. If I can manage the load in a 25FB well, my heart may well win over my brain, especially in British Columbia.
Hullap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Just want to add a few comments here.

1st, we went through the type of analysis you are going through and now that I have experience I can tell you what you are analyzing is not going determine if you love the trailer you end up getting or not. Others have said it but spending time in the trailer envisioning how you both will move about it is key. Who sits where, what will they be doing, who sleeps where and do they like it. Where will you put your treasured camping items (inside & out), who and how will you use the kitchen, etc. I vote going with your gut because it knows what it wants to love.

2nd, getting it wrong is not the end of the world. Many here have changed trailers (including myself). My wife and I purchased the perfect trailer for us, then we purchased a better perfect trailer for us. Why have so many people changed? Because it's easy! Free? No, but relatively cheap in the scheme of things as these trailers hold their value well. No one wants to toss a few grand away but the heart wants what it wants (i.e. Platinum Edition). Am not saying you shouldn't do your home, for us that was part of the fun.

Find a trailer that meets your trucks posted limits and buy at a good deal. Whatever you do, please use it more then I get a chance to use mine. Besides, once you pick a trailer, you then get to analyze what goes in it......now that can cost a lot of money :-)
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullap View Post
Doug, could you please clarify your comments for me.

Are you saying that your truck load and redistributed tongue weight results in an 840 lb increase in rear axle weight when fully loaded (for you) with all of the stuff in your picture? If so, this is very good news.

Are you willing to share how much weight you are adding to the front storage area? I am thinking long and hard about replacing the front batteries with lithium ion batteries to save about 42 lbs close to the hitch and substituting the savings with more useful things to me in the front storage of a FC 25 FB that we don't want in the trailer.

As I have said before, the 25FB twin appeals to my heart. The 25 RB twin appeals to my brain. If I can manage the load in a 25FB well, my heart may well win over my brain, especially in British Columbia.
We weighed the new truck, loaded for travel, without and then again with our Airstream hooked up (weight distribution applied). The truck weighed 840 lbs more when hooked up and w.d. applied, meaning the weight was distributed among truck's front and rear axles. And there was only 20 lb difference between these two truck axles with w.d. applied.

We use a ProPride hitch, which makes the distance from our truck's receiver to the Airstream axles greater due to the hitch's additional length compared to a conventional hitch. This greater length has an effect on the amount of hitch weight added to the truck, but most probably no more than the additional weight of this style hitch, compared to a conventional hitch. (An important side benefit of this additional length, the truck's tail gate can be dropped with plenty of clearance. Note in our above photo the tail gate is down, gear easily accessible while hooked up to our Airstream.) We would never use a pickup to tow without this hitch, a well-balanced and set up SUV with full independent suspension may be different.

We have a 25 RB, there is no front storage area. We removed the bench dinette seating to install recliners. We built a small pantry further back next to the fridge. That and the overhead lockers (we use for very light gear, sweaters, hats, jackets etc) are the only front storage. We slide the recliners back for towing. These things make for less hitch weight. We are also considering lithium batteries. Most of our gear is stored in the back of the Airstream, and two bicycles and Airstream Fiamma hitch rack is at the rear bumper; these items counter-balance the hitch weigh making it lighter (Front Bed model loading will have an opposite effect).

We have Michelin 16" tires on our Airstream, best possible reliability. I am considering traveling as earlier Airstreamers did, without the then optional spare tire. It is unlikely we will ever need it, and if we have a flat the procedure in our Airstream Owners Manual is to remove it and travel at reduced speed to a tire repair shop.

When buying this truck wanted to continue using a lighter tow vehicle, less wheel base, better ride for us and our Airstream, better handling, easier access to seating and gear, less expense. This truck showed up at a visit to the dealer with the right mechanical gear and loaded with options (we both loved it). It is heavy as half-tons go, so we have been a little creative in managing load placement, easily handling all we ever need for six months annual travel. We liked our last half-ton pickup (Ram 1500 Reg Cab Hemi) a lot and this one is everything we could ever want, just a great match for our Airstream and travels.

I still think you should take a look at the 26U Twin, especially considering your height, I think the shower is quite spacious. The 25 and 27 dinette seats are awful for long term travel.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Trusting gut feel

As I am in the near exact process of deciding which FC 25, also at the Seattle dealer, after 2 visits, planning even a 3rd, my gut feelings got me into a 25, then worried front or rear, deciding on rear, all decisions where by sitting in, reach for controls, checking views, closing, opening doors . . . Feeling for comfort levels . . . All for myself in retired living, sort of tiny house need. Yes, "live" in the models on the short list. I add your questions and the replies have been reassuring. Thanks to all.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks Doug. We looked at a 26U. We did not like the location of the fridge near the bathroom and the kitchen near the shower and felt to be a long, dark corridor between the living and sleeping spaces compared to other floorplans. It also felt like there was less storage for coats etc. We can see why some people love it but the flow and storage didn't feel like it worked for us.

It is frustrating that some things need to be changed out early at this price point. Lithium ion batteries, the converter, 16 inch wheels and Michelins and the foam in the seating for starters.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hullap, I understand your points on the 26U, some people love it. We love our 25RB very much as well, a great combination of practical and sense of space.

You don't really have to change anything in your new Airstream, we traveled for two years, almost 200 nights camping in our 2007 FC 20 SE with no modifications or upgrades. It did fine and was a good camper and traveler.

As we traveled about the country more each year and stayed out 6 to 7 months each year we began to upgrade our new FC 25 RB for reliability and comfort as we expect to keep it and travel extensively many more years. The first two years no changes, then gradual upgrades. Our most recent was the converter, although it was working fine going on five years and over 1,000 nights on the road; it is just a poor battery charger, we let our factory solar system do that task.

Take your time on all purchases, learn what you really need. We couldn't be more pleased with our present truck, hitch, Airstream combination as it is today. It suits us and our travels perfectly.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We purchased a 2013 25FB International sight unseen while overseas. We were shocked at the reality of the cross queen bed versus the drawing. Other issues developed and we traded in and ordered a 2014 27FB to be built seven months later. We were stewing about a month and the realization came to us that the back 15' of the 27FB and the 25FB are nearly identical and everything we did not like about the 25FB dinette area would be the same in the Classic. Changed the order to a 2014 31' Classic with twin beds.

Modifications included 16" SenDel tires and Michelin LT tires, disc brakes, 800 watts of solar, 600 amp hour lithium battery, Maxim skylights, rewiring of all electrical outlets to Hubbel commercial grade 20 amp GFI outlets, Marmoleum flooring, and much custom wiring and cabinet work.

We added a 2015 23D International Serenity to be towed by the older 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel. This allows for easier access to the smaller older parka out West. This is a complete mindset change. We upgraded to 15" SenDel wheels and Michelin P series XL tires. This raised the coach just over an inch (to the same elevation as the 25FB with the 15" Michelin tires so the saved Hensley Arrow hitch and settings worked with the same Mercedes. This got the sewer department more ground clearance. We have 500 watts of solar, Maxim skylight, MaxxFan 7000 series vents, custom cabinet work, Marmoleum flooring, electrical reworking and many other modifications. The rear bed in the 23D is tight but we are shorter than most at 5' 6". The significantly smaller volume in the gray and black water tanks of the 23D take some "planning" as there is a 39 gallon fresh water tank just like in the 25/27/28 models.

Both units work for their intended purpose.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rob. We have to travel a bit in the next month or so. I would really appreciate your opinion about the size of the shower in the FB and RB. Do the wheel wells influence one over the other? Like you, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thanks to all.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The 23 would not work for us. We got a 25FB and like it. Like you say, my brain says 25FB, my gut says 27FB and my heart says get a new Classic 30. I am sticking with my brain.

I like the FB better than the RB for the views provided out the back of the trailer.

The 25 FB does NOT have a microwave and making the east/west bed is a bit challenging. That is why we would like to get a 27.

Another issue for us with the 25RB is that while it does have a microwave they put it on top of the fridge thus taking away the vent and forcing the system to vent horizontally out the wall. The issue here is that they needed to install a fan to get the proper flow of air and there have been threads here discussing issues with this fan. I have had mine 7 years now and the fridge hasn't skipped a beat and works quietly and efficiently.

If I had lots of money I would get a new Classic and be done with it. Of course I would also have to get a new truck. Like I said, lots of money.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Interesting point aftermath. With infinite money, I wouldn't go past 25'11". I might be more likely to choose a FB and a F250 rather than a RB and my F150 and choose an International Serenity rather than a Flying Cloud.

I would be interested to hear others' "I have won the lottery" choices.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Okay, here's what we like about our 25'11" RB.

Entrance door in front where most campsites expect it to be, no drop-offs at the door, no missing patio, no campers to view when they park behind us, no neighbors sewer hose just outside our door, convenient to truck and facilities.

Large bathroom, exact same as in 30' Airstreams.

Propane and convection/microwave ovens. A fan helps direct fridge cooling air, not dependent on venting alone, we installed a quiet fan no one can hear, under $20.

Furnace behind kitchen cabinet rather than lounge seat, allowing easy conversion to improved seating options.

Living room shielded from sun and outsiders looking in during the day by the shaded stone protectors. Rear view is sometimes good, sometimes not-so-good, our RB never has a bad view. Although I don't know why it matters, we don't have eyes in the back of our head when seated.

Hitch weight is easier to manage, nearly all of the storage is in the back two-thirds of our Airstream. Less hitch weight equals more load capacity in our truck, less stress on truck receiver and trailer A-frame from w.d. hitch. Airstream specifies at least 10% hitch weigh but never more than 1,000 lbs. That parameter for us is 730-1,000 lbs hitch weight, our goal is the low side for the reasons stated.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:47 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would only update what I have if I won the lottery.
Or pay off the loan on the Airstream-
I don't know how to improve on a 2007 Tundra Limited and 2013 Classic 30 unless I buy a 2017 Tundra Platinum and a 2017 Classic.
The new Tundra has a styling update, a larger fuel tank and adjustable headlights to compensate for load.
The new Classic was completely redesigned in the 2015 model year and since then has come to include solar and inverter standard and a new heating/hot water system similar to the Aqua Hot on motor homes.
I am still happy with my paid for truck and trailer that I owe way less than $130,000 on...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We are really happy w our 2015 23FB now that we have replaced the U-dinette w a long bench/couch seat. The U-dinette was too uncomfortable & took up too much room in the narrow 23' space. LOVE the bathroom - both the size & the big window. Would not be content w/o both oven & microwave. Photo attached. Please excuse the mess; we had been on the road awhile. (We did upgrade tires to 15" Bridgestone Dueler - LT)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annie:Interior.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	267371  
Old 07-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
lindaebrewer, I really like the mid century look of the bench / couch and the colour. The footstools are a very clever idea too if you have a couple of extra people over for an hour or two. That doesn't exactly look like a mess to me.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We have the 25 rear twin flying cloud. I'm glad we got the wide body. I'm also real happy to have the extra bed length. The outside cargo areas, 4 of 'em, are real nice. And the bathroom, that was one of the main deciding factors, the bathroom is real nice, plenty of room to get around, up/down, etc.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
We ordered a 2017 FC 25FB Twin with the Cashew / Golden Night interior to-day and paid our deposit.

The only factory options that I got were the CSA certification and the 16" wheels with Michelins. I know that I could do the wheels and tyres less expensively on my own but I would prefer to have the manufacturer make the change for insurance and liability reasons.

We are going to add 300W of solar, 2x75 AH lithium ion batteries, Centramatics and a Progressive Dynamics 3 way converter charger at the dealership. We will get the AS in either the 3rd week of August or the 1st week of October depending on whether a scheduled 29 July build for our dealer can be changed to what we want.

Thanks to all for the input and knowledge that I have gleaned from extensive reading here. I really dithered about the FB vs the RB and gave up on the 23 pretty early on. They are all amazing trailers with different compromises. The best choice for me is not the best choice for someone else.

Given how treed our sites are in BC, I chose the extra window for more light. Looking at where the fridge and galley are relative to the axles, I thought that the FB would be a bit easier to load in a way that manages tongue weight better than the RB. Another thing that I prefer about the FB is that the door opens to the back of the trailer where I will load some of of the "ballast" like bottled water, the outdoor carpet, toolbox etc to also manage tongue weight.

Thrilled to be back in the AS world and can't wait for some fall camping when everyone else has given up. I will try to work with our 2016 F150. If I can't make it work comfortably, I will look at a F250 next year.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #39
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Glimmer says you picked the right Decor, but she has a very prejudiced opinion of these things. Hope you enjoy your new coach. Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	267575  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Congratulations on choosing a similar trailer (except for the bed). When people agree with me I know they are very smart.

The main cabin seat cushions are cheap, but we had them recovered with high quality vinyl we found at a store closing and had a seamstress who undervalued her worth do the new covers. With sheepskins on top, that also helps comfort. The vinyl can be easily cleaned (the cloth covers could not) and is thicker than the cheap cloth. Because we lucked out on the vinyl and seamstress costs, that and the sheepskin cost less than $300. We got the Sheepskins from Overland and they have some backing that helps with comfort.

We took delivery in early November and went traveling. We learned about frozen water hoses and how much battery the furnace fan uses. Made it through alive. We had many, many problems for our first two years with failing stuff and a really bad dealer. We ended up taking the trailer to Jackson Center for warranty work—they did it right there. We met a few other Coloradans who were also avoiding the Denver dealer. I seem to remember some people really don't like the BC dealer and go to the US for warranty work, sometimes in Eugene, Oregon.

After the warranty period things have settled down. Since I can fix a lot of things myself (kind of necessary since things only break on the road, sometimes far from home), I don't have to rely on RV shops that much. There are books available on how to fix things. Woodalls had one we bought in 2007; it still may be available. Bring lots and lots of tools.

Since you are thorough, you will learn fast and pretty soon will be customizing it to make it yours. Download the owner's manual if you can from the company website and start reading. I'm sure you will be anxious to get it. When you go to pickup the trailer, plan on staying around for a few days. They will do a walk though and take notes (some do videos) because you will forget half of what they tell you. If you want more time, ask for it. You are spending a lot of money and deserve to be treated well. Airstream pays the dealer to check everything out and for the walk through, so don't worry about how much time anything takes. Tow it around the immediate area to find problems. Check out everything including the furnace. Some things may not work and you want them fixed before you leave. Some dealers have hookups (you need hookups to check everything) and a few places to camp for a few days; most don't, but ask about it. Make sure the A/C registers don't fall out easily—that may still be a problem with some of them.

Now you get to learn everything about hitches. If the dealer installs it, make sure they do it right. They may not care since time is less profit, but some take a while to adjust properly. We got an Equalizer from the dealer and they put on one that had heaver weight bars than we needed (probably all they had on the shelf plus it probably meant a little more profit). They adjusted it badly, but it did work well. Finally I adjusted it and it worked even better. There are cheap hitches available; avoid them.

Good luck and many years of enjoyment.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote