Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
Television audio through speakers?

I have read somewhere on the forums how to get our tv audio to play through the speakers, but I cannot find that thread. Can anyone explain how to do this? Thanks in advance.
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Turn radio on switch to aux. Go to tv switch to external speakers, if it does not work switch back, turn volume on radio up it will play tv and radio at the same time. If you have a Bluetooth tv, it will work that way
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
I am going to give your instructions a go.

I tried doing this with the instructions which had come with the radio and TV. I was not successful.
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I recall reading where Airstream wired the speakers in the TV to the input of the radio Aux. This is the wrong way to do it, since the levels won't match.
IF the TV has a headphone jack or an "audio out" jack you can return a wire to the stereo aux in.

I'd mount a sound bar above or below the TV and avoid all the wiring. Most sound bars will take an optical audio, digital audio, headphone jack, or Bluetooth. (and they sound great compared to the TV)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i replaced the tv with a better model LCD TV (with a DvD player built in) that had audio out
then ran a cable back to the receiver
now i shut the TV speakers off and the sound is far superior through trailer speakers

BTW , i changed the speakers to a better model also
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
You didn't state what TV model or Stereo model is present in your trailer. Airstream changes these from time to time.

That said, these links might be helpful to address your question:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ut-132098.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...lp-131508.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...-tv-87071.html

I found that playing the TV sound through the trailer speakers was unnatural, in that the sound was coming from behind and above.

I ended up purchasing a cheap iLive sound bar which gives much better sound quality than the internal speakers. Unfortunately, this solution has its own problems in that the sound bar reacts to some of the codes used by the Samsung TV. For example, when I enter channel 4, the sound bar is muted. When I enter channel 6, the sound bar changes to the Optical input. When I enter channel 7, the sound bar powers off. I've learned to cope with these idiosyncrasies.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathfred View Post
I have read somewhere on the forums how to get our tv audio to play through the speakers, but I cannot find that thread. Can anyone explain how to do this? Thanks in advance.
Our 2013 ,use radio, surround sound, we like it,..directions are on airstream site..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Earlysville , VA
Changing the radio setting to CD2

I have a 2016 Sterling with Samsung TVs and a Sony radio surround sound system. I found that Airstream had connected the TV sound to CD2 on the Sony, and you have to manually change it to that setting to get the TV sound to play thru the AS speaker system.
BoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMan View Post
I have a 2016 Sterling with Samsung TVs and a Sony radio surround sound system. I found that Airstream had connected the TV sound to CD2 on the Sony, and you have to manually change it to that setting to get the TV sound to play thru the AS speaker system.
I understand from past posts that this also holds true to play CD's in the Blue Ray with sound thru the AS speakers as opposed to the normal setting of the TV.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
On the Sony head unit you select CD source first and then CD2 for TV sound.
I guess they have the TV audio routed through what would be a CD changer input.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
Thank you for your responses! I got busy with Thanksgiving and wine-drinking in Paso Robles and the television sound issue became less important;-) Will definitely be checking out the CD2 option on the Sony sound system with our Samsung TV. Unfortunately, will not be in the AS again until after Christmas.
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
After owning 4 AS's now, I have never been happy with using the stereo system controls on any of my units, except for just radio use. The radio manufacturers try to pack too many "special" functions into one button...They should just include an easier switch set up or get a more intuitive radio system. But hey, that's just me....I still am "fumbling" way too much time with my new Clarion unit each time I try to play blue ray, switch off rear speakers so wife can sleep, or adjust the speaker "features"! Just want to turn on the tube or the stereo, adjust the volume and relax a bit...every now and then....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My Samsung TV will output audio to Bluetooth which my stereo will pick up. While it works, there is too much delay and the sound lags the video substantially. The TV intends that to be used for Bluetooth headphones so I imagine the excessive delay is in the stereo.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Optical audio to sony receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathfred View Post
In complement to Mollysdad information, in my 2011 Flying Cloud 23FB, I made the following modifications to improve the audio quality of television listening:
Original wiring:
- The factory’s wiring feed the Sony receiver with RCA audio wires at the back of the TV. These cables are soldered internally to the speakers inside the TV. This “speaker level” audio signal feed the Pyramid isolation transformer located at the back of TV set and then the Sony receiver.
- In this wiring combination, the Sony receiver get his audio source content from TV speakers; you have to play with 2 remote control to adjust the sound level (TV set and Sony receiver) and the sound quality is not very good.
Modification:
- I discard the Pyramid isolation transformer. This audio isolator was probably installed to minimise “ground loop” issue between the Samsung TV and the Sony’s receiver ground (earth).
- I install a small Toslink (digital to analogue audio converter) at the back of the TV set with a Velcro material (stick).
o A optical cable between the TV set to the audio converter provide a “constant level” audio program to the Sony receiver (Aux. Rear Input).
o The small power supply (5 volts) of the audio converter is connected on the same circuitry of the TV set.
- I take care to reprogram the audio settings of TV set to reflect this new configuration:
o SPDIF Audio output and audio delay was set to get an accurate sound to video synchronization (good lip sync). See picture snap shot of the adjustment.

With this set up, the sound quality is quite better; the audio settings of the Sony receiver allow adjusting them in accordance to your preferences. With the Sony’s receiver infra red remote control, I can listen all content feeding the Samsung TV set.

Hope this help,
Michel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_01.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	300178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_02.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	300179  

Name:	IMG_03.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	300180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_04.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	300181  

Name:	IMG_05.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	300182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_06.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	300183  

Papou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
On my 2018 FC25, I just monkeyed with my Clarion and by changing the source to AUX I get TV sound through my trailer stereo speakers, front and rear! Doesn't seem out of synch at all.
Sweeeet.... =)

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
On my 2018 FC25, I just monkeyed with my Clarion and by changing the source to AUX I get TV sound through my trailer stereo speakers, front and rear! Doesn't seem out of synch at all.
Sweeeet.... =)
Keggers dude!!!

This has been on my " lets get this figured out list" for what seem like an eternety. This and music cd's in the blueray, also thru the stereo vs the tv, which has to be on too. CD2, i've heard is the setting. AUX makes more sense.
Thx and merry christmas.

Bob
Old 01-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #17
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
If I helped that’s awesome. There’s great info all over the site but the more it gets reposted the easier it is to find I think... and I for one don’t mind repeating myself if it helps someone out...

Gonna reward myself with a bit of Oban tonight when I get back to Texas [emoji6]

Be well, be Safe.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Sounds like a solid plan...😀

Be well.
Bob
Old 04-04-2022, 09:16 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
York , Pennsylvania
I have a 2018 27" FCFB and I used to be able to play sound through the clarion head unit on CD2. I just took it out of storage and now CD2 doesn't even show up on the Clarion head unit. Any ideas why this suddenly disappeared? Anyone know how this is actually wired? All I can see is when I pull out the BlueRay player is a powered HDMI splitter but I have no idea how it connects to the stereo.
mcmarino is offline   Reply With Quote